Author Topic: Reminder: CDMA closure scheduled for 28 Jan 08  (Read 10745 times)

Offline Gungellan34

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: CDMA closure scheduled for 28 Jan 08
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 10:08:12 AM »
I changed from CDMA to NextG and the performance in most areas has been better than the CDMA.

A bloke I know, who is a techo for Telstra, says that the NextG won't work at its full potential until CDMA is turned off, as NextG uses the same frequencies as CDMA and they interfere with each other.

Get in early to keep your old number though! :-D
Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear yours!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 04:48:39 PM »
Thats what i asked Optus a couple weeks ago and the tech said that 3G and NextG networks will not work until the CDMA service is switched off so as soon as my contract with Optus expires i'll be jumping aboard the NextG pre paid service band wagon  :-D 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2008, 05:14:07 AM »
Funny is it not the goverment that owns telstra???

Nope.  Not any more. And sell-down of remaining shares is steadily reducing the small percentage still in government hands.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2008, 05:32:22 AM »
Actually, this is more correct than one might think. THe minister for Broadband and TElecommunications has already recognised that the footprint for Next G spans the same area, and the people who complain about reception are generally those who have 20 dollar phone plans with crappy hardware. You really do get what you pay for...

Also, there are still holes in the network coverage. It is important to notify Telstra of these when you find them. Enough people complain & they will do something about it. Mobiles are a profit-driven part of the business, unlike home phones.   
Report black-spots here:  http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networks/feedback.cfm

I complained about signal at our airstrip CDMA & other carriers ok, Next G no good - techs adjusted an antenna, & later installed a bigger one.  Is now very good.  Just have to work on Blackwood CFS now - can't use a mobile inside the station. Very weak outside, and that's in the middle of suburbia.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
I have put in about half a dozen blackspot reports (for nextg), each one telstra replied basically saying tough, the areas in question just have poor coverage and they have no plans to fix them.  (I'm talking about places 10-15km from the CBD not out in the middle of nowhere either)

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
I have put in about half a dozen blackspot reports (for nextg), each one telstra replied basically saying tough, the areas in question just have poor coverage and they have no plans to fix them.  (I'm talking about places 10-15km from the CBD not out in the middle of nowhere either)

Go for quantity. If those spots are in suburbia, make 'em think there's a whole bunch of people just dying to use mobile data rather than their ADSL.  It's business - money talks, & precious little else.

cheers

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Knowledge isn't wisdom.

anything