Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2008  (Read 106345 times)

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2008
« Reply #125 on: May 03, 2008, 04:53:48 PM »
  It's obviously a case of "you want the truth, you can't handle the truth".  Of course with the highly intellegent posts that some of you people have previously placed, PYRO mustn't have gone through the process he's described, because you know better. Of course with all your years of wisdom and experience, and the countless thousands of jobs you've been to, you'd not be lowering yourselves to apply for positions as "mere" fire fighters with the SAMFS, you guys are only looking at the Chief Officer's positions and above. It's gongbeaters like you that give the vast majority of SACFS volunteers a bad name.
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

Offline flyboy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
Has anyone been offered a start date for the next drill squad or two? :|

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 17, 2008, 12:19:41 AM »
Flyboy

I believe the start date is still June 16th, but I don't think the recruitment committee has made an announcement on the first 18 positions. I guess if we haven't been notified on the results of the medical it must be a good thing :)

Offline flyboy

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2008, 10:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the update Topjake,
I guess no news is good news! Do you think they will notify applicants for both drill squads or just the first one? :-)

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 19, 2008, 12:04:10 PM »
Flyboy

Only the the first drill squid will be notified straight away with the second course notified at the end of June.

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »
any news?

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2008, 06:18:41 PM »
believe drill squad one for 2008 started yesterday.
Reference checks are being undertaken for second squad now
I just want to help

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2008, 04:29:06 PM »
The next drill squad starts on the 28th July.

uniden

« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2008, 06:26:48 PM »
The next drill squad starts on the 28th July.

And you are on it I hear, congrats.

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2008, 02:51:18 PM »
Decision on current pool to be made in mid november from what i've heard.

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
Is this to decide if they will will use the current pool for the first 09 course or intake again to fill those positions?

Offline Action9

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 03, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
Believe so.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2008, 08:09:04 AM »
The first 36 in the pool will receive a letter shortly to sit there PAT2, medical the following day. everyone else bad luck i guess. I'm not sure whether the 36 will receive 1 or 2 attempts at the PAT2

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2008, 04:56:10 PM »
Correct me if i am wrong but they are not the first 36 as they are the somewhat "dregs" from the last intake so in fact are in the 90's, so once again instead of intaking a fresh batch of firefighters they are going for whats left over. I am thinking they should only get one shot at retesting for the pat 2 as they should already be up to that level of fitness. i know interstate services are having trouble with the "quality" of applicants in the later courses as in a normal situation they would have been cut from the group.

misterteddy

« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
my understanding is first course from the remaining gene pool. First course may be a significant size (up to 24).

After that no definite decision on reusing the remaining but significantly depleted gene pool, or readvertising (my guess......if you're stiill in the process so far, u'll get a letter). Pat 2 process hasnt been decided (I dont think.

Lastly, might be as many as 72 places on offer this year

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »
Correct most fire services are intaking courses of 30+ with a total of 90+ recruits being put through per year to keep up with retirements and station growth.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2008, 01:40:41 PM »
For starters big bronto your a tool, obviously somewhat bitter. Do some mathematics its not 90 its 72 which doesnt leave any dregs as thats what was stated in the interview they were looking for 4 drill squads, therefore no 72 will be the last of the 4th. I got my letter yesterday, 2 shots at PAT2 just like the last 2 squads.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
Play nice....

Now give each other a big sloppy kiss and get on with some decent discussion.  :lol:

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
For starters big bronto your a tool, obviously somewhat bitter. Do some mathematics its not 90 its 72 which doesnt leave any dregs as thats what was stated in the interview they were looking for 4 drill squads, therefore no 72 will be the last of the 4th. I got my letter yesterday, 2 shots at PAT2 just like the last 2 squads.

g'day,

what testing have you done so far?

It seems they may have changed the order this year.

cheers.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2008, 06:21:06 PM »
I think you misunderstood buddy, I applied in Feb, i have already done PAT1, phych and written testing, then interview in that order, we were all then put into a pool, so far they have taken 36(2 squads) and have just recently notified a further 36 in the pool to complete there PAT2 for 2 more squads (believed to start in Feb). In total 72 people 4 squads. This is all they will take from the pool, Ive heard, it will all start again early next year but the whole process will be for the 2010 recruits.

Offline big bronto

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2008, 07:23:06 PM »
Mate i am not somewhat bitter as i already drive a red scania for a living probie. interesting 2 shots at the PAT 2, are they planning on you failing, shouldn't everyone be at their peak fitness to get in the job.

misterteddy

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2008, 06:34:31 AM »
Mate i am not somewhat bitter as i already drive a red scania for a living probie. interesting 2 shots at the PAT 2, are they planning on you failing, shouldn't everyone be at their peak fitness to get in the job.
might as well be, we know they dont neccessarily keep it after they get in the job. The Beep Test requirement is just one part of the recruitment filtering process, designed to dissuade a certain percentage of people from applying and keep the numbers to a manageable 2000 or so...lol.

If it was a requirement of the Service, then u would have regular testing throughout - sort of like the CFS and SES are moving towards for their paid staff. Would certainly open up promotion if it was introduced

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2008, 12:00:15 PM »

Uh oh, attack of the "I've already got a job with a Paid Service, LOOK AT MY RANK!" Get your hand off it mate.

As for getting on topic with 110% less wanking about who's got a job and who hasn't, I can understand having a second chance for the PAT 2 - but only in certain circumstances. There are a number of people who have been physically fit, and going great guns through the PAT for a few of the different services around the place and have only failed by slipping/tripping or other minor issue that is nothing to do with their level of fitness or competency.

In terms of the lower echelons of the recruiting pool being seen as the dregs, its not necessarily the case. Granted, some of the new blokes at work are occasionally... a little bit special, but generally those in the lower levels are people who haven't scored highly in your academic side of testing, but are more hands on and mechanically minded. This is not necessarily a bad thing, as often the guts of 'firefighting' comes easier to those more hands on blokes.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2008, 03:50:07 PM »
Well said 6739264 
to add to this, which is entirely true, EVERYTHING in the process except the Interview is pass/fail. there are set levels to pass, if you pass you proceed to the next stage. after the interview you are then put into the pool(based souly on the interview). Im as fit if not fitter than the guys who went through the first squad, and also passed to the same level in the testing, I just wasnt as convincing in the interview, possibly because it was my first interview, i have always worked for myself. the same reason alot of AFL players dont make the SAMFS cut. So yes get your hand off it, your obviously a tool thus being the reason your hanging out in the recruit forum, trying to impress/insult the people that deserve the job much more than you.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
maybe he's got a small bronto?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.