Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2008  (Read 105931 times)

Offline blockman

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2008
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »
Just your basic cover one eye read the letters on the wall, cover the other eye and repeat.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
As blockman said, in this test you must achieve vision of 6/12 minimum in worst eye. Also a colourblind test which is a book with coloured numbers in a coloured background to make sure you can distinguish a difference in colours.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2008, 05:22:43 PM »
Ive never understood the colour blindness issue for MFS.

Considering nothing that i can think of is colour coded... however for SAAS everything is colour coded and yet there is no issue with coloru blindness.

Also ARFF dont have a colour blindness issue...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2008, 06:08:37 PM »
Helmets and fire extinguishers :P

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2008, 09:36:19 PM »
Colour blindness only ever has to be a problem once and that is once too many times, these people are not serving customers at Mcdonalds..... and its probably another culling tool to keep recruit numbers manageable.
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:58 AM »
Hahaha Zippy, Red/Blue is not a type of colour blindness though. I dont think a lot of people really understand how colour blindness works.

JAFF, i understand what you mean, however why is it ok for SAAS, where as i said almost everything is colour coded? I see no reason for the exclusion in SAMFS, when no other SA service has the exclusion [except perhaps private industry services]. As  you said, probly just another way to cull off numbers in the huge amount of applications.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2008, 01:34:44 PM »
Has anybody who recently did the PAT2/medical had their work reference called yet?

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 19, 2008, 05:16:54 PM »
Just your basic cover one eye read the letters on the wall, cover the other eye and repeat.

do you do read with both eyes or only one at a time?

Monger

« Reply #183 on: December 19, 2008, 05:55:36 PM »
Has anybody who recently did the PAT2/medical had their work reference called yet?

Yeah my work reference was called on Thursday. Asked my boss about a dozen questions. Think i am in the first intake, was ranked 20 in the pool and a few pulled out i think. Apparently we are going to receive a letter next week according to a mate who spoke to Mara.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2008, 06:45:12 PM »
Excellent, looks like ill be in the 2nd intake(fingers crossed). So well wait and see, congratulations on your success. although its not official yet, i spoke to Mara the day of the medical and she said only if we pass the medical/pat2/police clearance would our referees be called. provided the reference was good it would be all go and letters would be sent before xmas so the new recruits could give current employers 4 weeks notice.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
Josh, reading the letter board is 1 eye at a time, colour blind test bith eyes

Monger

« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2008, 01:31:32 PM »
From one who has tried to gain employment with the MFS in the past, it is an interesting method of selection when ranking is based on interview scoring.
I am a self employed tradesman running a very successfull business, i apparently dont interview too well and hence after three attempts am still working for myself. People around me cant understand why i havent been employed yet. All comes down to how well you sell yourself on the day. Know this though, i will be there having another go next year and the year after that until i am told, Thanks but no thanks, you dont fit the bill.

I think the rankings are done from the psych and aptitude testing. How can they possibly get a fair ranking system from interviews when this year they interviewed about 150 people and interviews were done by at least 4 or 5 different people? And if you do a bit of research ( SAMFS website) and ask some current MFS members you can get a fair idea of the questions they will ask.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:25:25 AM by Monger »

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 21, 2008, 04:48:35 PM »
From one who has tried to gain employment with the MFS in the past, it is an interesting method of selection when ranking is based on interview scoring.
I am a self employed tradesman running a very successfull business, i apparently dont interview too well and hence after three attempts am still working for myself. People around me cant understand why i havent been employed yet. All comes down to how well you sell yourself on the day. Know this though, i will be there having another go next year and the year after that until i am told, Thanks but no thanks, you dont fit the bill.

I think the rankings are done from the psych and aptitude testing. How can they possibly get a fair ranking system from interviews when this year they interviewed about 150 people and interviews were done by at least 4 or 5 different people? And if you do a bit of research ( SAMFS website) and ask some current MFS members you can get a fair idea of the questions they will ask.

that was my understanding as well. the process was different when i did it in 2007 as the psyc & aptitude was last (before medical & polices/reference checks), but as you do the psyc before the interview now they may have changed how applicants are ranked.

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2008, 05:09:58 PM »
I am 100 percent the rankings are based souly on the interview as i asked during my interview how the process worked. There are 3 groups doing interviews, each with a D/O and human resource person. It is a check sheet, the more right answers you give or keywords you state the more boxes get ticked. As i said i asked the question in my interview in the last process and the answer i was given was everything till today has been pass fail you will be ranked from this interview!!!

Monger

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2008, 06:33:14 PM »
I am 100 percent the rankings are based souly on the interview as i asked during my interview how the process worked. There are 3 groups doing interviews, each with a D/O and human resource person. It is a check sheet, the more right answers you give or keywords you state the more boxes get ticked. As i said i asked the question in my interview in the last process and the answer i was given was everything till today has been pass fail you will be ranked from this interview!!!

Fair enough.I think it seems like a bit of a lottery then,because there would be lots of people with similar responses. Hopefully we get a letter in the next few days.

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2008, 10:33:57 PM »
well i prefer it to be ranked on the interview rather than the personality profile / aptitude test.

looking forward to trying again with the new order in place.

Monger

« Reply #191 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
Has anyone in the que for the 2009 intakes received a letter or phone call yet confirming position since medical and work reference check?

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 23, 2008, 05:51:58 PM »
Not yet mate been waiting for the mail man everyday :( if i havent recieved mine by mail time tomorrow i will call Mara, due to the fact she told me we would know before Xmas

Monger

« Reply #193 on: December 23, 2008, 06:20:58 PM »
Not yet mate been waiting for the mail man everyday :( if i havent recieved mine by mail time tomorrow i will call Mara, due to the fact she told me we would know before Xmas

I was thinking exactly the same about calling her. Might be delayed due to xmas though. Maybe there will be a nice little present in the mail tomorrow :-D :-D

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »
Wouldnt it be a great way to start the new year too....... Im sure she will give us the heads up even if there is no letter. sShe seemed rather certain on the letters being out before xmas when i spoke after my medical.

Monger

« Reply #195 on: December 23, 2008, 06:32:20 PM »
Wouldnt it be a great way to start the new year too....... Im sure she will give us the heads up even if there is no letter. sShe seemed rather certain on the letters being out before xmas when i spoke after my medical.

I have 2 mates waiting aswell.

Offline blockman

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 24, 2008, 07:26:44 AM »
Got the offer and package with all details in the post yesterday, start Feb 16th!

Still hasn't sunk in

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 24, 2008, 08:33:24 AM »
congratulations, hoping mine is here today.....

Monger

« Reply #198 on: December 24, 2008, 09:44:48 AM »
congratulations, hoping mine is here today.....

Just spoke to Mara i am in the intake that starts on 30th of March. She is sending out offer and package today :-D :-D

Offline wdnulk2no

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 24, 2008, 12:54:56 PM »
WOOHOO, im with you Monger. spoke to Mara im in the same boat, she sent them today we will get them next working day. See you soon.

anything