Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2008  (Read 105939 times)

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: RECRUITMENT 2008
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2008, 08:06:15 AM »
police checks are funny things - some things cause problems that arent really an issue and other things gt through that really should be picked up and i'm guessing there are diferent types of checks for different organisations? I'm guessingthey would like to know if you've had a problm playing with matches in your past, not to sure how it work??? (and for any stickt beaks, my record is clear)
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2008, 02:23:02 PM »
21337, the information in the recruitment section of the SAMFS website is pretty obvious as to the proof needed of IT skills.

Quote from: SAMFS
What evidence will you accept as basic skills in Microsoft Word 2000 ™ and Microsoft Outlook 2000 ™ or later versions?

The MFS will accept a certificate obtained from an employment agency or a registered training provider in basic skills in Microsoft Word 2000™ and Outlook 2000™ or a later version.   Please note:  Certificates obtained and accepted during the 2005 recruitment process will be accepted.

Katrina, most fire services are concerned about theft/dishonesty due to the position of trust that the Fire Brigade has in the community. Playing with matches is in fact a requirement  :evil:
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline PYRO1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
Im sick of all the BS that has been going on with recruitment over the past 7 to 8 years in which I have been involved with. I have probably applied maybe 6 times I think and it basically all ends in some sort of BS.

I have passed everything 3 times but failed to secure full time employment.

last year I passed everything and was told I am on a 12 month list for next intake. This year I get all the emails saying I must now re apply... I wrote back stating my "waitlisting" is in the required 12 months so please explain. Was then told  that the 12 months will be expired by the time intake STARTS recruit course. Just so happens that this is around 2 0r 3 weeks after my waitlist expires.

I agree totally with Jason....quote Ah i wouldnt quite say there intakes are fair if you are a english caucasen & male end quote

Special information sessions for females, special info sessions for Aboriginals and TS islanders.....more BS

SAMFS are certainly not equal opportunity employers.

I have to sometimes think "do I wish to be part of an organisation that cannot run a fair and unbiased intake instead of changing the rules every year to suit them".

SAMFS You Suck!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 01:56:02 PM by PYRO1 »

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2008, 08:55:10 PM »
Gee pyro that would really suck, especially after trying for the last like 8yrs.

I think the same about not really wanting to join an organisation like you have stated; but the only reason I want to join the MFS is cause I enjoy helping people when they are in need and they are just making too hard for the everyday person. It kinda makes me think twice about if I really wanna join.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2008, 09:28:52 PM »
Pyro - huge amounts of pent up anger and frustration......coupled with a rapid ability to put pen to paper and write letters.....(or fingers to keys) - you should think about going for a job as a bus or train driver!   :evil:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:30:40 PM by boredmatrix »

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 31, 2008, 08:23:53 AM »
Come on boredmatrix...surely there are guys that must have been disappointed and  and felt "let down" with the MFS system over time. Just read a few of the previous posts.

I think PYRO is just stating what a lot of people who want to join the MFS think.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2008, 09:49:40 AM »
yes- this may be the case - but given the huge amount of applicants SAMFS get - unless you've got an IQ of 130+,  the cardio fitness of an olympic distance swimmer and the upper body strength of a water buffalo - your chances of being selected can be somewhat hampered!

plus- with all those applications...... I think that SAMFS can afford to be choosy!

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 31, 2008, 11:35:26 AM »
So how does that explain some of the knuckleheads that have got through recently?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
For an explanation , you need look no further than your local member of parliment,some are great and some are hopeless  :wink:(Hi Carmel-Brad) how did they get the position? Sometimes even though they make all the right noises, when put in to that position, it goes to show, that intent doesnt always equate to action!!

Cheers Jaff

Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 01, 2008, 04:42:30 PM »
SAMFS is very very easy to get into.

Providing that you are related to a firie already, happen to have played AFL or are a woman, or other minority group.

Good old 'positive' discrimination.

Although you have to wonder why a service that is screaming for employees, as they are facing huge retirements in the coming years, continues to be so hard on applicants. From what I can see, the SAMFS application process is the hardest in the country, and the physical aptitude test has more in common with FDNY than any Australian service.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline topjake

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2008, 09:31:32 PM »
@ PYR01

I can understand some of your frustration on trying to get employment in SAMFS but you need to look at in a different way. How many jobs have you gone for and missed out by 2 or 3 in the list. I have missed out on numerous jobs by either 1 or 2 people but have secured employment with a great company. I too was on the cab rank system from the 2007 intake, I see it that I missed out by a few but I wont give up. As others are saying SAMFS have a variety to choose from and unfortunately we have not been selected.

Say to yourself "you have not missed out, but SAMFS has missed out on you this time" and keep on going.

Offline firiesince86

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
All applicants need to understand that many who apply fail to fit the basic requirements, ie Senior first aid, HR licence etc.
If your serious about joining then I would be fully prepared prior to any selection process comencing!
The SAMFS will be looking for a number of recruits this year, so keep trying. There are some who tried 10 times over a 10 year period, and finally cracked it on the next go, now there full time firies.

uniden

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2008, 05:15:59 PM »
Ever tried getting a full time position with CFS or SAAS. Applications have to be spot on or they go in the bin. Also seems to follow the old adage not what you know but who you know/are related to etc.
Of course its not easy when there are multiple applicants for a few positions.
Just keep trying or dont. Lifes full of disappointment.

Offline jt1717

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »
PRYO1

There are going to be many suitable applicants that will not get accepted.  The facts are their are only a few positions and a lot of applicants.  I too got into the cab rank last year and waited a year to hear I would have to do the whole process again.  A friend of mine who IMHO would make a lot better firefighter then I would (a lot fitter,more mechanically minded etc) cannot get past the aptitude test. The SAMFS have to cull over 95% of the applicants.  Can you suggest another way they could do that?
I am surprised that they have made a HR licence the minimum requirement, good for my application but from the Fire Service point they are reducing the number of applicants to choose from.  Interstate you can go through the whole procedure and once you get accepted to the recruit course it is up to you to obtain your licence.
My suggestion would be for the fitness components rather then just have a minimun pass level also have a bonus level for people that are fitter then the minimun but maybe not go so well in the aptitude test ie beep test 9.6 to pass and level 11 earns you some bonus points.
PYRO1: don't give up if ur serious about getting in, don't blame others, we know it is frustrating just focus and try harder.
Goodluck
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 01:10:55 AM by jt1717 »

Offline PYRO1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2008, 07:27:55 AM »
All good points everyone. If you want to talk bonus points, how about the guys that have been in the retained ranks for a few years. Shouldnt this, in some way, help the person obtain full time employment. They are already employed by the SAMFS.

Oh and to the accountant of 25 years who made the last intake and struggled to ship a standpipe on many occasions, well done on passing the recruit course.

SAMFS You suck!!

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 03, 2008, 08:29:16 AM »
But it's still really simple, there is a whole lot of people trying to obtain a few jobs therefore the majority of people are not going to get a position. It's not like most people are getting through and only a few miss out. I can understand them wanting the bigger licence it is just one way to have less people to look through in the selection process, getting rid of that wont make it any easier to get into it will just make it harder as there we be hundreds more people then able to apply for the position.
Get used to it, it's hard to get into, it always has been and it always will be and it is amazing the stories that people can come up with to explain why they didn't get past a certain stage (instead of I stuffed up and didn't have what was required, I was late for the interview, I couldn't pass the test, I couldn't pass the fitness requirement etc)
Get over it, get on with living and try again next time if you feel like it but don't spend a whole year whinging about the reasons why, learn from it for the next time or move on to something else and accept that maybe it just isn't going to happen for you
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2008, 10:06:18 AM »
All good points everyone. If you want to talk bonus points, how about the guys that have been in the retained ranks for a few years. Shouldnt this, in some way, help the person obtain full time employment. They are already employed by the SAMFS.

Oh and to the accountant of 25 years who made the last intake and struggled to ship a standpipe on many occasions, well done on passing the recruit course.

SAMFS You suck!!

Pyro1,  Its a dead set shame that there isnt more places for people , like yourself, people that are willing to assess the situation ,as you have in your previous posts and then after comment/advice from possibly your peers, youve reassessed the situation again, then whinge about the system failing you and not the other way round, and finish off your post with "SAMFS You suck".
Just wondering what part of the intake process brought you undone? Your apparent attitude perhaps? Use this setback as a learning experience, not an excuse to whinge and whine!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 03, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
pyro1 - youve missed out, big whoop... plenty of people do every intake. But judging by your nick and your attitude in these posts id be suprised if youd pass any psych testing anyway...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2008, 12:09:41 PM »

SAMFS You suck!!

Ha! Bonus points for being a retainer? You have to be kidding. If anything it should exclude you permanently - based on the times I've worked with retained chaps...

PYRO, you're an idiot. I think its great that an accountant of 25 years decided to get a real job, struggled with the learning process and ended up succeeding, becoming competent and passing his recruit course. A far better outcome than the know it all retained firie who thinks that he is gods gift to firefighting passing recruit course.

I love, as Katrina pointed out, people who whine about getting bent over by SAMFS when it is clear that they haven't met at least one of the very well published selection criteria. As for the people who were put on the waiting list, that is a pain in the arse. The problem lies with planning for more courses than they have the budget for, and then having to cut courses. It sucks, but thats the way life is.

Best of luck to those who grin and bear it, and keep pushing on. To the others, maybe if you still keep getting knocked back, as good as you think you are, you're not the right stuff for SAMFS.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline PYRO1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2008, 01:44:54 PM »

6739264 Your the idiot starting up the Retainers vs CFS drama again. Why dont you get over that for starters.

Next, it sounds to me from your post that you have an atitude problem as well.

MFS Suck!

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:34:14 PM by PYRO1 »

Offline Jase!

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »
Pyro, one of the guys I got in with had tried for 10 years. He too probably had a whinge about the system but didn't let it consume him, he just continued to buy the paper every Saturday to wait for the next advert for intakes and tried again, and in the end persistance paid off. So don't have a whinge and bad mouth a great service full of good men and women, just get on with life and re-apply next time.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2008, 03:17:49 PM »
hey Pyro1, do us all a favour and look interstate for employment ;)

Offline K99

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2008, 04:18:27 PM »
Hey OMGWTF Great comment Noob. Your a great help to this forum. Keep up the outstanding advice, you tool.

As for you PYRO keep trying to get in. Those that have given constuctive advice are right. Dont give up.

6739264 well you are just a hero mate, but hey you already knew that.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning,smells like,like........VICTORY

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2008, 04:30:37 PM »
K99 - yeh cheers mate....  :-P

Just saying, someone like this doesnt need encouragement, they need a reality check, and if he such a bad opinion of the MFS, perhaps he should try elsewhere.

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »
Im sick of all the BS that has been going on with recruitment over the past 7 to 8 years in which I have been involved with. I have probably applied maybe 6 times I think and it basically all ends in some sort of BS.

I have passed everything 3 times but failed to secure full time employment.

last year I passed everything and was told I am on a 12 month list for next intake. This year I get all the emails saying I must now re apply... I wrote back stating my "waitlisting" is in the required 12 months so please explain. Was then told  that the 12 months will be expired by the time intake STARTS recruit course. Just so happens that this is around 2 0r 3 weeks after my waitlist expires.

I agree totally with Jason....quote Ah i wouldn't quite say there intakes are fair if you are a English Caucasian & male end quote

Special information sessions for females, special info sessions for Aboriginals and TS islanders.....more BS

SAMFS are certainly not equal opportunity employers.

I have to sometimes think "do I wish to be part of an organisation that cannot run a fair and unbiased intake instead of changing the rules every year to suit them".

SAMFS You Suck!

Yes I can fully understand your position PYRO1, although your sign off is I would gather is born of frustration.

As for you other goobs, obviously you've never passed a comprehension exam.  Read the post, passed all aspects, on wait list for next intake, changes in process.  One of the rules of the forum is no personal attacks is it not?
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

anything