Author Topic: dummies  (Read 5795 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
dummies
« on: January 16, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
can anyone tell me where they have purchased and dummies for training from some of ours are getting a bit worn out. thanks

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: dummies
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »
We pinched some old Resus dummies from St John and made the rest of the bodies up. works ok, but not the greatest.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 06:19:05 PM »
can anyone tell me where they have purchased and dummies for training from some of ours are getting a bit worn out. thanks

Mercury Fire :wink:
Images are copyright

ltdan

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:18:31 PM »
Their are multiple companies providing rescue training dummies, and pending in what you want them to do depends on price.

Some of the common providers are Fire & Rescue Aust, Mercury Fire, REMLAP.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »
I say use real people volunteering as victims wherever you can. Get them to 'play dead' or be unconscious if they are happy to do that. This makes it so much more real for rescues, and crews are forced to think about handling, keeping their airway open, and they bend like real humans do (lol....duh).

I find that crews get used to 'pulling out dummies' at training and they tend to forget about first aid after removal, cos it was only ever a dummy.

Train how we play as much as we can. You can make it a toxic environment as in CO or something, then there is no smoke but it may be quite dark if possible?

Just some more thoughts :)

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 05:59:16 AM »
I say use real people volunteering as victims wherever you can. Get them to 'play dead' or be unconscious if they are happy to do that. This makes it so much more real for rescues, and crews are forced to think about handling, keeping their airway open, and they bend like real humans do (lol....duh).

I find that crews get used to 'pulling out dummies' at training and they tend to forget about first aid after removal, cos it was only ever a dummy.

bit hard to practice CPR on a real person though...

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:53 PM »

bit hard to practice CPR on a real person though...

Ah its only a few cracked ribs, they'll be right. :-D
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »

Train how we play as much as we can. You can make it a toxic environment as in CO or something, then there is no smoke but it may be quite dark if possible?

i assume you aren't saying put real people in a room with toxic concentrations of carbon monoxide to play dead?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »

i assume you aren't saying put real people in a room with toxic concentrations of carbon monoxide to play dead?

They wont be playing for long.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Smallflame

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 06:30:50 AM »
http://www.lifetec.com.au/

Great dummies, ours are gems. I like the impaled bloke and the blast vitcim. All good for training excercises.

That being suggested, I can think of one or two people who don't actually serve other purposes you could borrow if needed  :wink:

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 08:25:54 AM »
thanks smalflame, i think i have seen or used these in some trainig before but can't remember where.

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 06:18:16 PM »

Duh  :-P  :roll: Ok so you have to use your imagination to some degree, its CO, not like you can see it there anyway.
Tho as Smallflame says, we could 'volunteer' certain superfluous persons for the job  :wink:

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 08:38:08 AM »
you two better be careful or you might be taken up on that offer :-P