Author Topic: 4th Alarm Grass - Belair (Urban rural interface)  (Read 12533 times)

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: 4th Alarm Grass - Belair (Urban rural interface)
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »
But Blue, your post has challenged me to re-think my attitude to these people. 
I shall have to work on patience & rein-in the sarcasm.  Or maybe not...  :wink:

We love sarcasm on a written forum where you can't hear the tone of voice, always goes down  well  :lol:

First lesson in adult education is that people don't learn/aren't interested if they don't think they need to learn it. But if the required level of experiential learning is being caught in a fire unprepared, that can mean you aren't around to do it better next time...  :|

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 10:34:46 AM »
Actually Blue, I was being serious.  About not being sarcastic anyway.

The hazards are obvious to me because as a fire-fighter, they are clearly relevant to me.  But it's easy to think of the property owner who allows that hazard to exist as being stupid, lazy, etc.  Whereas fire is not relevant in their lives so they simply can't imagine that loverly green shrubbery that makes their living environment so nice, is actually "fuel".

Only half-serious about needing more fires.  However, if anyone can think of a more effective way to make bush-fire impact relevant to Joe Average & his Significant Other in the Hills UI....  we're all ears.   :-)

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
Here is a better solution - National service! All 18 year olds have to spend 2 years in the emergency services then a whole generation will have an idea about what mother nature can do! We could educate a whole generation!

Joking of course & Blue please don't "analyse" me! I'm not crazy - really :-D
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2008, 06:38:36 PM »
Only half-serious about needing more fires.  However, if anyone can think of a more effective way to make bush-fire impact relevant to Joe Average & his Significant Other in the Hills UI....  we're all ears.   :-)

Councils need to do pre fire season checks on house's if they have done the right thing by cleaning gutters / land etc then they are given some form of identification to place on letter boxes / fences etc, if they havent CFS will not put there firefighters lives at risk by putting firefighters between your property and the fire, they can fend for themselves and CFS will look after the people that have done the right thing. Its a hardarse approach but it may make people think.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

uniden

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2008, 06:43:01 PM »
Coucils cant be expected to inspect every house. People have to be responsible for themselves bottom line.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »
I is that CFS seem to target the entire state the same way which is unfortunate. suburbs like Belair, Eden hills, the back of Burnside, Stirling, Crafers, are all big towns and look very similar to suburbia and hence people think they are safe as "fire doesn't burn in suburbs :?"

media needs to tell these areas firmly and matter of fact that they will burn like Canberra.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,23078838-5006301,00.html

Someone is listening
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2008, 08:55:51 PM »
Coucils cant be expected to inspect every house. People have to be responsible for themselves bottom line.

Yeah fair call, would be a huge job. If there property is a fire trap they are on there own. Things might slowly change when the lazy folk in high risk areas see a truck drive straight past there house and pull up next door to look after a house where the owners have done the right thing and prepared themselves and there land.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO