Author Topic: New BOMS response format  (Read 12036 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New BOMS response format
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »
Go the armchair guru's !!
you have a thing for arm chairs don't you? What was said makes perfect sense!
You don't need half the crap that is at the start of the message. You don't even need to know that it came from Adelaide fire (MFS at the start) as the format of the message gives a strong indication.
 SAAS don't have all of that stuff. If the system needs to generate all of that rubbish why can't it generate grid references?
Anyway thats my thoughts - you guys keep fighting among yourselves about what should or shouldn't commented on and maybe in 100 years there may be some improvement :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 04:12:35 PM »
The jobs in MFS areas should really be TG150 shouldnt they? Not 182 the chit chat channel. MFS stations were advised of the change to the format on the day that it started by email.
I would have thought 150 is the dispatch channel, and the incident channel is 182.  Similar to how 124 is the region 1 'dispatch' channel and then there are local group talkgroups for incidents.

uniden

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
But MFS appliances report back to comms on 150 same as regional stations report back on their own channels. ie

17:35:37 25-01-08 MFS: MFS *CFSRES INC060 25/01/08 17:34,RESPOND RUBBISH FIRE,33 BASTYAN CR,WHYALLA MAP 0 0 0 TG192,IN LANE BEHIND NO.33,SAIR55 WHY529 

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 04:22:28 PM »
Mmmm, good point

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 04:23:51 PM »

Well we do have the best vantage point to view it all lol...

Comcen cant see it, Fireground Cant see it, but the players at home can!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2008, 04:24:13 PM »
The jobs in MFS areas should really be TG150 shouldnt they? Not 182 the chit chat channel. MFS stations were advised of the change to the format on the day that it started by email.

Well you would think so but here is an example
 MFS: MFS *CFSRES INC085 24/01/08 20:36,RESPOND Private Alarm,143 OLD SOUTH RD,REYNELLA MAP 177 A 5 TG182,NATIONAL STORAGE 1ST FLOOR STORE AREA 4,OHH421 HPPY00 STM401 CFS Happy Valley Response
Images are copyright

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 06:04:50 AM »
How lonng a format do we have to have.......

MFS: INC# 055 RESPOND RCR PRINCES HIGHWAY,GLEN OSMOND TG182 GLO441,BRN19 *CFSRES:

SIMPLE

you have a thing for arm chairs don't you? What was said makes perfect sense!
You don't need half the crap that is at the start of the message. You don't even need to know that it came from Adelaide fire (MFS at the start) as the format of the message gives a strong indication.
 SAAS don't have all of that stuff. If the system needs to generate all of that rubbish why can't it generate grid references?
Anyway thats my thoughts - you guys keep fighting among yourselves about what should or shouldn't commented on and maybe in 100 years there may be some improvement :wink:
cheers

well chook, for starters it definitely needs the date/time stamp somewhere in the message, its not unimportant rubbish... maybe it shouldnt be at the start of the message but it should be there...

you do need to know where the message comes from to be able to ack page, Adelaide fire may be the only CRD centre, however it becoming more often for regions and GCCs to page brigades.. a strong indication??? some brigades seem to take pride in copy-cat messaging.

SAAS dont have that stuff because they are talked through the entire details of the case when they come on air... not really as viable an option for the fire service.

oh and the UBD reference... well its nice for us brigades it works for... so the rest of ya   :wink:

a nice simple format would include: DIN, Incident Type, Location, UBD Ref, Date/Time, resources responding, other details... oh... hang on, thats what weve got.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »
20:12:56   25-01-08   MFS: MFS *CFSRES INC074 25/01/08 20:12,RESPOND Private Alarm,WOODSIDE PRIMARY SCHOOL,23 MOFFETT ST,WOODSIDE MAP 137 C 4 TG100,SECURITY ON WAY - NO ETA,WDSD00 CFS Woodside Response

The new system has already failed ;)    Woodside definitely ain't in Region 2.   Ah well...just meant the comcen operator "ahhh ummmm'ed" for about 10 seconds   :evil:

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
I would personally kill for a grid reference somewhere on the page. especially as it quite often takes a while to translate the spelling of the location of the incident to tie in with a road in our area. I loved it when was asked what a grid reference was when I personally called in an incident to Adelaide Fire. I like that it says when it's come from Adelaide Fire, it usaually means all other services have already been notified
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
Yes Mack thats what we have + MFS,MFS,CFSRES(yes I know you need that bit).
Now I don't know about you but I still think we can get rid of the MFS MFS bit!
And yep the UBD thing is metro based - or is it?
Country SAAS get a Grid reference - instead of Map 0,0,0.
And of course date time stamp is important, as is other resources, as is location.
And if brigades/ groups are copy catting the format for there own messages, isn't that an internal issue for you guys to sought out?
I know you guys are big on procedures, SOP's, FGP's surely you could write one that said "Don't use this format".
Again personally I put the "crap filter" on when I read these pager messages - e.g. I ring Adelaide fire, quote incident number, ask for additional info. Then arrive at Unit brief the crew who have already worked out the location 98% of the time & start planning a course of action including planning for additional resources, tatics etc.
So if the system wants to put a whole heap of stuff that does not affect the conduct or outcome of the operation - so be it!
Care factor? not very high :-D I still stand by my original comment which was" I agree with Zippy".
Cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline mack

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
Country SAAS get a Grid reference - instead of Map 0,0,0.

i thought we'd been over that... they only ever get a UBD referance or a rapid number.... and when the rapid number is available to CFS/SES/MFS its usually on the page... Id love to here otherwise though, as it would be great for there service.

Care factor? not very high :-D I still stand by my original comment which was" I agree with Zippy".
Cheers

No problems.

btw, from everything ive heard having the message start with "MFS: MFS" is just a minor computer issue, not the correct format for the messages.

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2008, 08:43:56 PM »
my 2 cent worth

i dont really care what they put on the page as long as i know where i am going and what i am doing!!

other then that who cares!! :-D :-D :-D
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 01:32:16 PM »
With this example:

MFS: MFS *CFSRES INC085 24/01/08 20:36,RESPOND Private Alarm,143 OLD SOUTH RD,REYNELLA MAP 177 A 5 TG182,NATIONAL STORAGE 1ST FLOOR STORE AREA 4,OHH421 HPPY00 STM401

Apart from 'MFS' being repeated, I cannot see *any* issues with he page at all. It gives all relevant information. It's really the bare minimum info that you would want.

For those who want something like the shorter:

MFS: INC# 055 RESPOND RCR PRINCES HIGHWAY,GLEN OSMOND TG182 GLO441,BRN19 *CFSRES:

Its a terrible page, no time/date stamp, no further information, no mention of any other details or the lack of.

There needs to be a fix for areas that have no UBD coverage, and pages need to be able to hold more information especially when trying to give further details or exact locations.

Dare I suggest?

MFS: INC085 24/01/08 20:36,RESPOND Private Alarm,'NATIONAL STORAGE',143 OLD SOUTH RD,REYNELLA (MAP 177 A 5) ALARM: 1ST FLOOR STORE AREA 4, FIP LOCATED INSIDE LEFT - MAIN FOYER, KEYS #13, SECURITY NOTIFIED, GRN182 - OHH421 HPPY00 STM401 *CFSRES
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 04:30:45 PM »
Dare I suggest?

MFS: INC085 24/01/08 20:36,RESPOND Private Alarm,'NATIONAL STORAGE',143 OLD SOUTH RD,REYNELLA (MAP 177 A 5) ALARM: 1ST FLOOR STORE AREA 4, FIP LOCATED INSIDE LEFT - MAIN FOYER, KEYS #13, SECURITY NOTIFIED, GRN182 - OHH421 HPPY00 STM401 *CFSRES

Unfortunately I think this would be two to three pager messages...I think the pager can only cope with 132 characters per message...the techs are balancing as much info as possible within a single pager message.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 04:42:13 PM »
 :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 06:03:22 PM »
Unfortunately I think this would be two to three pager messages...I think the pager can only cope with 132 characters per message...the techs are balancing as much info as possible within a single pager message.

Yes, thats part of the problem. You get a cut down message full of abbreviations and vital information is left out. We may as well overhaul the whole technology to allow the transmission of more information. Its not hard and is done elsewhere around the country and the globe.

Sorry for offending you with a suggestion of new technology SA Firey. :roll:
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
Not sure if this should be a new topic, but curious on the 'date time' within the pager message.

I assume this is the date time that the telephone call was first received or what does it refer to ??

If the date time refers to when the pager message was created, it seems to be a watse of space for me. You can view that on the pager device.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:57 AM »
yeh definately is the creation of message date,  the format suits MFS Appliance MDT's not CFS Pagers unfortunately.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 11:06:53 AM »
Sorry for offending you with a suggestion of new technology SA Firey.

Always happy to embrace new technology but was referring to the thread going around in circles :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 01:19:00 PM »
I think the pager can only cope with 132 characters per message.

I think you will find it is actually 233 charcters.

anything