Author Topic: Google Earth  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Crownie24

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Google Earth
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:48:11 AM »
I found this on Google earth it appears to be the burnt ground from the fire at Clare last season. Its interesting that the images would be so up to date...
Because in some places you can make out anything..

Edit: I actually used Google maps to find this and when I went and used Google earth there was some tags marked on the ground and they show images before and after the fire, they were photographed by Dr Gavin B. Sanderson which is interesting. Might be worth visiting other fire grounds via Google Earth and seeing if the same thing has been done....They say that bushfires are apart of Germinating new plants I understand that but you wouldn't think it prema facia. :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 11:58:34 AM by Crownie24 »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »
Thought I would re-use this topic rather than starting a new topic.

Google Maps have now launched 'street view' in Australia. I did not think this would cover my home area, but I was surprised that it did.

I suspect the pictures were taken during last summer.

I am not sure how much bandwidth this version of Google Earth uses on an internet connection (I suspect high because of the pictures), because I am currently at work so using their facility.

As an example:

If you launch http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.180995,138.4782&z=19&t=h&hl=en you will see a aerial picture of the Seaford CFS brigade.

The 'street view' white button will be displayed aftre a few seconds wait, in the top right-hand corner of the aerial photograph. After pressing this, a blue line will be displayed on the roads where street level pictures have been taken.

If you double-click on the line near the entrance road to the Seaford CFS carpark, a pop-up window will display a street-level picture.

The default orientation seems to be North facing, so you are looking at the new housing sub-division noise fence.

Click on the either of the top arrow buttons on the street-level picture, and you will spin to face a different direction. Thus you can turn to look at the Seaford CFS brigade shed.

Has a side-note, it interests me that the weblink address for Google Maps  contains the GPS reference for the map location. So Seaford CFS is at South 35.180995, East 138.4782. But I cannot input a new GPS reference into the web address to get an accurate placement on a map.

This is both scary (of what everyone in the world can see) and exciting for planning holiday or other trips. You can now see what the building or facilities look like before you go their.   :mrgreen:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.