Author Topic: 25th Anniversary of Ash Wednesday  (Read 15572 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
25th Anniversary of Ash Wednesday
« on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:19 PM »
The 25th Anniversary of the Ash Wednesday Bushfires commemoration will be held at 'The Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens' on Saturday, 16th February 2008 at 1530.

The SASESVA are wishing to contact SES volunteers who were involved (past & present) and they have issued a general invite to the ceremony.

I assume the CFSVA are organising similar.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

rescue5271

Re: 25th Anniversary of Ash Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
So does anyone know what brigade's/groups will be doing for the 25th Anniversary??This should be a good time for all to reflect on the past not only for ASH WEDNESDAY but for large fire's that have taken place in SA.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:53 PM »
Havent heard anything official but heard a whisper of something being held at Tarpeena.  No idea on what time though.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
Andrew did you have to be in the CFS/SES at the time? Or does another service count?
And it seems like only yesterday, mind you I wish I the age I was then - now! :-D
Hopefully though it will never be that bad again!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 08:21:43 AM »
Andrew did you have to be in the CFS/SES at the time? Or does another service count?
And it seems like only yesterday, mind you I wish I the age I was then - now! :-D
Hopefully though it will never be that bad again!
cheers

From the posting on behalf of SASESVA on Yahoo group SA_SES. The posting contained more information and Chook, I have sent you a complete copy of the posting.

"...*Ash Wednesday*

The 25^th anniversary of Ash Wednesday will take place on Saturday 16^th
February 2008 at 3.30p.m. at Mt Lofty to coincide with the time the
mount was scorched. Several SES Units have been invited to attend this
commemorative ceremony and if you know the names of any serving members
from 2003 who were involved with Ash Wednesday, please let me know
(name and contact address or email), so that they can be invited to
attend the event and also as we intend to recognise these members in the
March issue of Frontline, so will be seeking a brief profile from them
on their feelings from the period and what it means to be a SES
volunteer etc......"
Andrew Macmichael

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:58:04 AM »
Havent heard anything official but heard a whisper of something being held at Tarpeena.  No idea on what time though.

Fireman Fred is on a committee charged with organising something. All a bit hush-hush at present, but that's probably 'cause nothing's been decided.
If I hear anything useful, I'll share it.

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 10:04:12 AM »
Was talking to REX there will be a event at Tarpeena and there will be goverment members there all southeast Volunteers shouls get a invite in the mail this coming week.It will be held on 16th feb at 3pm and that is all I know....Cant attend as that is the day we are moving house..

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:22:07 PM »
Thanks Andrew cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:31:31 AM »
Was talking to REX there will be a event at Tarpeena and there will be goverment members there all southeast Volunteers shouls get a invite in the mail this coming week.It will be held on 16th feb at 3pm and that is all I know....Cant attend as that is the day we are moving house..

Cheers Blinky i got the email and have RSVP Region 5 informing that both of my parents along with myself will be attending the memorial service at Tarpeena on the 16/02/2008 at 3pm 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 02:21:47 PM »
Invitation to all CFS members (past & present) as well as members of the public:

The Captain and members of the Mount Lofty Tower brigade extend to you an invitation to the 9th Annual Service Commemorating the lives of all Volunteer firefighters of the SA Country Fire Service who have died in the service of South Australia.

The Service will be held at the Mt Lofty Summit, 5pm, Saturday 16th February 2008.

Members please wear yellows (including helmets).

Past & present members of the CFS & members of the public most welcome to attend.

Any queries to David McGowan ( [email protected] )

Look Up and Remember
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:50:46 AM »

Fireman Fred is on a committee charged with organising something. All a bit hush-hush at present, but that's probably 'cause nothing's been decided.
If I hear anything useful, I'll share it.

I was reading both The Borderwatch & Penola Pennant today and something was mentioned about the memorial service should have been held either at Kalangadoo or Kangaroo Inn rather than at Tarpeena  :-)

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2008, 02:02:36 PM »
Im not 100% on the details of Ash Wednesday but Tarpeena was still a big part of the day.

But the reason it is being held there and not else where is because the township of Tarpeena were the only ones to get a memorial organised.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2008, 06:02:37 PM »
I think you will find that the local state member put in his two dollars worth and that was that.....I would have to say it would have been better held at a location that the fire did cause the most damage and may be it could have been held where the two CFS volunteers lost their life....But what would i know I was a CFA firefighter back then....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 04:52:24 PM »
The 7:30 Report on ABC in Adelaide tonight (14th February) as a story on Ash Wednesday. Hopefully the website http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/ will have a clip tp download.

Out of the Ashes

Twenty five years ago this Saturday Australia endured the deadliest bushfires in its history. 75 people died, more than 2000 homes were lost and entire communities were traumatised. 7.30's Natasha Johnson reports on one man's story of loss and recovery.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 06:36:03 AM »
Get hold of Fireman Fred and ask about how it came about. The way I heard it was that Tarpeena was having a small thing, a committee was put together to organise a function down here and when they had their first meeting the powers that be said we are taking over the Tarpeena function and that is that no questions or discussion will be had on the subject so it isn't that no one else did anything they were stopped from doing anything official
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
The Tarpeena memorial service went really well yesterday as there was about couple hundred people in attendance including fire fighters from CFS,Forestry SA,Auspine Tarpeena and other volunteers from SAAS,SES,St Johns along with various delagatives from local government and emergency services

I would put pictures up of which were taken using my trusty Nokia N95 5 megapixel camera but they are too big so i've posted them on ozfire.org  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »
I have been looking through the photos taken during the 1983 Ash Wednesday, on the various websites. The equipment, PPE, vehicles that were being used brings it dramatically how much has changed.

I never wish to be in the back of a SES Unit built Ford Transit Van patrolling the Adelaide Hills region (from Stirling to Mt Lofty) looking for spot fires & looters again. I those days I was wearing blue work overalls & steel cap boots. The rear seat in the Van where I was sitting was opposite the lookers where the equipment was stored.

Otherwise it was a in a Bedford dual cab truck with a custom built back by the Unit volunteers.

At that time we had VHF & HF radios that were reasonably reliable, but not perfect 'for line of site' in the hills. At the base camp in the hills, WICEN amateur radio operators maintained communications to Adelaide using their own equipment. No GRN then....

Yes we all complain that it could be better, but look how far we have come....

PS. Do the new CFS vehicles have their brigade & vehicle number on the top for viewing via helicopter ? I thinks that was one of the outcomes from the enquiry of Ash Wednesday.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 03:53:15 PM »
PS. Do the new CFS vehicles have their brigade & vehicle number on the top for viewing via helicopter ? I thinks that was one of the outcomes from the enquiry of Ash Wednesday

I had a look inside the Auspine QAV unit which was at the tarpeena memorial service and noticed that they have a vehicle number on their dash board for aircraft/helicopter id
Kalangadoo Brigade

uniden

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 03:57:35 PM »
CFS appliances should all have identification on the rooves. MFS appliances have their fleet number on the roof.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »
yes all CFS appliances should have Id on the roof...if it has disappeared - go see a sign writer asap.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Gungellan34

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 09:08:07 PM »
CFS appliances should all have identification on the rooves. MFS appliances have their fleet number on the roof.

Heard that the Murray Bridge Pumper has it's number on the under-side also! :-D
Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear yours!

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 09:48:31 PM »
Cheap shot......but i love it  :lol:
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 10:02:41 PM »
Yes all CFS appliances have their ID on the roof and have doone so for years :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 01:22:28 AM »
Yes all CFS appliances have their ID on the roof and have doone so for years :wink:

and SAAS have finally got with the times....the newest cars (yes - those yellow and green monstrosities!) have AMB and their fleet number in 3 foot high letters on the roof!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 06:45:07 AM »
Yes all CFS appliances have their ID on the roof and have done so for years :wink:

And SAAS have finally got with the times....the newest cars (yes - those yellow and green monstrosities!) have AMB and their fleet number in 3 foot high letters on the roof!

That will make it easy to find them then, the next time one gets stolen,and taken for a joyride :-P
Images are copyright

anything