Author Topic: Rank in SES  (Read 12993 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Rank in SES
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
Here they are:
for vollies:-
1 Crown - unit manager, in charge of a unit cross between a brigade captain/ Group officer.
3 Pips - Deputy unit manager 2IC of the unit.
2 Pips - Rescue officer big units have these they are normally in charge of the units rescue teams (we don't have one)
1 Pip Admin officer, training officer etc.
3 Stripes - some trainers, Team leaders in some units (again we don't have them)
2 Stripes - team leaders
1 Stripes - Deputy team leaders
Paid staff have laurel's on theirs sorry can't remember them all :oops:
In my unit as well as others up here only the Boss (unit manager) & the deputy wear rank & that really depends on the circumstance.
Hope this helps cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Dave O

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Sturt SES
Re: Rank in SES
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:17:47 PM »
shouldnt that be
2 stripes deputy team leader
3 stripes team leader
 :?

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 05:43:35 AM »
Could be right David as I said we don't have them :wink: and its been a long time since I've seen them worn.
Thanks for the correction - cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
only our unit manager has his rank on display nobody else does and as it is we don't even have set people as team leaders we only have a "rescue officer" who is only looking after truck checks etc he doesn't take charge of a team as suck we all share the responsibility.  8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)   

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 09:55:40 AM »
You would be like us too small to justify having set team leaders?
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 10:15:13 AM »
only a handful of members maybe 15 and only a small amount are in the town or close to

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »
Yep we are the same & everyone knows us so there isn't any real point - I don't even wear mine half the time :-D
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
Non-operational ranks (admin, equip, comms etc) dont wear epaulets in the field down our way, as we find people get confused about who they need to talk to.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 11:13:48 AM »
How do you guys get on when interacting with other agencies in the field ?,CFS are having some rank/structure issues when quickly trying to identify NPWS person in charge, since they have gone to their single brigade structure.

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »
How do you guys get on when interacting with other agencies in the field ?,CFS are having some rank/structure issues when quickly trying to identify NPWS person in charge, since they have gone to their single brigade structure.

Cheers Jaff

In major incidents, tabards with the responsibilities (eg incident commander) for the incident is mean't to be worn. This is done in the metro area & it does not matter which Unit/Brigade/SAPOL/MFS/etc attend, that person is the one in charge. Happens quite often in land search in the metro area.

For smaller multi-agency taskings (eg building impact), the two highest ranking people from each agency have a quick chat and one takes charge.

In the Unit I am with, we have team leader ranking in a draw in the vehicle. If required, one person is allocated to put them on during their shift. Makes it easier to find who is in charge of the ops crews.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2008, 11:30:27 AM »
The unit here get along reasonably well with the surrounding group, but once you travel...
It sounds like it varies from unit to unit... we carry a commander/incident controller and a rescue officer vest.
It gets very difficult at times. I believe there are moves to adopt a coloured helmet scheme... by the sounds very similar to the CFS system.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2008, 11:56:57 AM »
Yep our vehicles carry the IC vest & if we are working with people we don't know then we use it.
I had heard about the colour helmet thing on the weekend - some conflict with the USAR crowd though? (different colours different meanings).
I'd be happy with red, yellow & plain orange (instead of white), as in winter time shoulders are hidden by our wet weather gear/ cold weather RCR jackets.
Anyway I'm sure there will be a decision soon :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 03:00:12 PM »
i do like that idea chook its not as intimidating as strips and pips on the shoulder. we use our vests and that as required.

the local services knows us as we work together some of the local brigades dont like us how ever we are working on that but we always know who is in charge. 

anything