Author Topic: Museum  (Read 14997 times)

Good times

Museum
« on: June 20, 2005, 07:27:51 PM »
Its been some time since the Fire Museum closed in this state, do people think it should be re-visited and if so would you support it, its something I think is sorely missed and all our heritage is wasting away in various paddocks and sheds.

What are people's thoughts?

strikeathird

Re: Museum
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 02:38:20 AM »
I know I would support it.  Hopefully there are others out there that would give it some support also!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 03:37:00 PM »
I'd love a fire museum... Its amazing how far firefighting, (Rescue and HAZMAT included), has come even in the last 10 years... I would certainly support a Museum to show that...

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 09:14:04 PM »
I would very much like to see one here in SA, I have visited afew around AUST and was sorry to learn there is not one here .Now would be a good time to get the ball rolling and try and do something about it.With the way things are we may not have any units to go into a museum,you can count on me for help if we could get it up and running. This would have to be a joint cfs/mfs project and one that would be enjoyed for years to come.

blinky bill

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2005, 07:47:28 AM »
I have been talking to a few people about this and they feel that if members want to do something about this then make a request with the VFBA to call a meeting and just see what people want to do?? So guys lets do something about and talk to your region VFBA rep and get the ball rolling.

How many people out there have items/appliances/uniforms that they would like to see in the museum???

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2005, 02:28:34 PM »
I dont have anything that I could contribute but I think that a Fire Museum here would be a great idea.
I would support it for sure
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 04:33:58 PM »
Our second trailer that is from around the 50s or 60s could go there with all of the stuff on it. Then it would be with one of our old fire trucks. I would like to see the old truck as I have only seen photo's on the wall at the station. :-)  :mrgreen:

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 02:39:20 PM »
Museum:

A documented letter has been sent to the President of the VFBA, CEO of CFS and Safcom - I have documented my thoughts..

At this stage there has been no positive response (just the lack of money saga) - with the amount of gear being sold off & wrecked there is almost nothing left to put into a museum.

I understand it would not be a cheap exercise - but could this sort of project be considered for some sorts of Government Grant.   The Museum in Sydney is majority volunteer based, donated building (old power house) and vehicles are loaned or donated and it turns over lots of $'s and the publicity is huge for promotional purposes.

A lot of people are now starting to see we a selling of our histroy at a rapid rate - almost giving it away for those who seen the last auctions results.

At the end of the day we need the hierarchy on our side so if every one documents there thoughts send it to the VFBA & CFS etc thy might start actioning and not just listening.

Many thanks - very passionate about a fire Museum in SA.

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 03:01:15 PM »
If you did not know there is now a committee formed to look at a type of museum for the fire service.. I shall not say too much on it here but it is up and running so keep your eyes and ears open for more information....

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 03:48:50 PM »
They are already earmarking some appliances to keep for this purpose.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 04:50:26 PM »
If anyone has or know's of any equipment/uniforms or appliances that could be donated let the VFBA know. If you know of any old units sitting in farm sheds they sure would like to know/ hear about it...

probie_boy

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 11:14:06 AM »
i would support it. Seeming as i am younger i know little about our states fire fighting history and historic appliances. and its not like we learn about it at training or anything.

Offline firefighter_sa

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2006, 08:42:16 PM »
Hi there

I can confirm - There has been a committee formed and is investigating the possibilities of a Fire Museum based in SA.

The committee is made up of 4 people from CFS volunteer, I am on this committee

Again I stress it only early days - but I can confirm there has been some vehicles which have been earmarked and saved from being sold at auction. (A pumper,old rear mounted Hi no & and old F Truck - and others)   Allot of vehicles have already been sold but we now have the full support of CFS HQ and the VFBA.

First thing is to look for storage facilities for the appliances until a building has been sort (vehicles been stored in many places).  I would again like to stress its early days but things are starting to happen. 

If you want to have any input please just PM me and it will be tabled at meetings.  We hope to have a small spread in the following Volunteer as we have missed the current run. 

Many thanks

Wayne
Wayne Ellard

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2006, 06:48:55 PM »
an old f-truck? aldinga beach's old rescue??

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 06:53:47 PM »
Might be 1 of the old 14's. A couple of the trucks they have earmarked are going to need quite a bit of work to bring them up to display standard.
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 10:28:01 AM »
Now that would be nice a SA Museum of Fire similar to NSW Museum Of Fire at Penrith,where the public could come along see our history and also have the opportunity to purchase memorabilia items.

A small entry fee to cover the cost of running it and a good collection of appliances.At present they are scattered all over the state,so a central location would be good.

Any more feedback on whats happening Wayne?
Images are copyright

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 05:59:05 PM »
 The SA Museum of FireFighting closed many years ago....it was proudly supported by both SAMFS/CFS members.

for those interested..

The Milang and Districts Historical Society Inc...Has a Museum at Milang with a collection of EFS...CFS..SAMFS..SA Railways..Appliances..

Their most recent Appliance is the International 48 the Wheel Escape ladder..that was used extensively by SA Museum of FireFighting 10 years ago..some of their equipment is at Tailem Town

Timbo

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 09:01:31 PM »

First thing is to look for storage facilities for the appliances until a building has been sort (vehicles been stored in many places).  I would again like to stress its early days but things are starting to happen. 

Many thanks

Wayne

How much space do you need Wayne?
MrT

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 08:17:21 AM »
I understand the Heritage Grouphave secured the use of the Naracoorte Showgrounds Hall for some of their appliances - there are several there already....I think there were some plans for a second shed in the more Northern areas, but I'm not sure if that has happened, or if it is going to proceed....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2006, 04:46:07 PM »
Anyone know where Balhannahs old F350 14 went :-)
Images are copyright

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 10:35:18 AM »
might be down here in the big shed.....
blinky bill
my view only

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 07:02:46 PM »
Sorry for taking so long to supply this list, The big shed has a number of appliances now stored in it and we should be getting a few more over the coming weeks. as of Monday 12th we have the following old appliances and if anyone one has any information or log books on these appliances please contact me offline.

We have the following: summertown 34- gumeraha 14 - Virginia 24 (very nice to drive) aldinga beach rescue - Arno bay 34 - lameroo 22 - roseworthy/stirling pumper - rudall 34 - warook 14 - eastern districts 14 which is in the shed but is still operational. Our pride and join is the binnum 37 blitz. We also have a selection of old lights siren's and so on. So people if you have any information on the above appliances or may have some log books hiding in your stations please give me a buzz and we sure would like to add them to the collection. We are trying to restore the appliances to what they did look like and any items would be welcomed. I did take some photos but they did not turn out so I will be back in the shed this sunday morning as part of a working bee so I shall take better ones.
blinky bill
my view only

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »
Kalangadoo CFS old 4 channel VHF radio used during Ash Wednesday 1983 is displayed in the Nangwarry Forestry & Logging Museum along with a red fire helmet,beater and fire unit(tank and pump)used in the 1950's also used by our brigade when it was a newly formed EFS brigade back then

I do know that our brigade has an old station log book used in the 1950s & 1960's although thats something the VFBA would have to look at getting a hold of if a fire fighting museum was to be established at Naracoorte  :-)       
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 07:54:12 PM »

Correct medevac
Images are copyright

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2007, 09:09:33 AM »

5271rescue
May I ask where the big shed is?