Author Topic: Are we a backwater????  (Read 12807 times)

sesroadcrashrescue

Re: Are we a backwater????
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
yeah but adelaide is a backwater just like all of sa is. no matter where you go its all the same no progress god i used to go shopping with my family at 12am if we wanted to and in this state you can only shop till 9pm on a Thursday night and in some places Friday night as well so yes sa including adelaide is a back water bring on moving back to the east coast 

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 04:00:59 PM »

[/quote]

Ha ha my sister is a school teacher who's has just moved to penola, she says they like things the way they are and don't accept change all that quickly. :lol:
[/quote]

And there are people like that here (especially if you mix just within the one group) BUT there are also those of us who like new things, welcome them and are quite forward moving and modern thinking you just have to know where to find us don't you littlejohn?!
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »
I better come to penola cheaper than naracoorte hospital or better still drive to the mount and only pay $20 to see a doc.....Sure there are something in the country that we pay for that city people dont,the cost of a visit to doctors here is done bt going to the public hospital you are seen by a nurse and if she feels you need to see a doctor she will call one in.But if she says its only small go see the duty doctor in the morning you still get slugged $180.00 just for her to tell me that...Now thats backwards.. But if you are a tourist and pass by you only get bulk billed......Time all hospitals had (a) there own doctors (b) free services like city hospitals...

Penola is a nice town will be intersting to see how the new supermarket goes when they start it and lets not forget Millicent here is a town that has a large employer but its shops all close at 5pm on a saturday.tuff if your a shift worker and tuff if your a tourist passing by......

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »
yeah but adelaide is a backwater just like all of sa is. no matter where you go its all the same no progress god i used to go shopping with my family at 12am if we wanted to and in this state you can only shop till 9pm on a Thursday night and in some places Friday night as well so yes sa including adelaide is a back water bring on moving back to the east coast 

Seeya!!

uniden

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 07:15:02 PM »
Since when is hospital service more expensive in the country?? havent heard that one before.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
Since when is hospital service more expensive in the country?? havent heard that one before.

I have not been to Noarlunga Hospital casualty for a year (kids asthma is OK at the moment), but they have never charged. If I try to go to the oncall GP service at Seaford, then I pay.

If it can wait, I go local GP at Seaford when they open in the morning.

When did paying for hospital emergency services come in ? or is this part of a after-hours General Practitioner service ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 09:41:29 PM »

I have not been to Noarlunga Hospital casualty for a year (kids asthma is OK at the moment), but they have never charged. If I try to go to the oncall GP service at Seaford, then I pay.

When did paying for hospital emergency services come in ? or is this part of a after-hours General Practitioner service ?

you went to Noarlunga Hosp and came out alive? :-o

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 05:54:31 AM »

you went to Noarlunga Hosp and came out alive? :-o

Yep the operation went really well, hospital was great...emergency treats my kids well too.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2008, 06:16:59 AM »
When did paying for hospital emergency services come in ? or is this part of a after-hours General Practitioner service

Not sure how they do it but to go to the emergency department you must "cough up the cash" or bugger off and go elsewhere. It is such fun driving 50km with a child having an asthma attack and throwing up the whole way (yes we could have called an ambulance but I didn't consider it that serious and there was no one on duty in Penola, and Nangwarry was flat out helping Mt Gambier so was best to go myself) Okay now that I have got everyone way off here I better shut up and hop back into my little box and return to contemplating my navel
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

sesroadcrashrescue

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 10:30:08 AM »
with our hospital you dont have to pay that night but you need to go to the medical practice the next working day and pay the gap so when i can i head to Elizabeth 24 hour clinic of the mac 

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 03:50:29 PM »
My rather freshly changed opinion of this topic is that,  While we have politican's of the like of Mike Rann AND who ever that guy on liberals is :P....Adelaide is gonna continue to be a *near*-Stagnate backwater.

Liberals current idea of a 20 year plan for South Australia includes  Duplication of the Southern Expressway, Controlling the Parklands, Building a new Stadium at the Railway yards instead of the Marj....

Why does everything need to be 20 years. We will all be 20 years older, and Mike Rann will be in a nursing home by the time everythings finished.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
Why does everything need to be 20 years. We will all be 20 years older, and Mike Rann will be in a nursing home by the time everythings finished.

Because if governments only look at the short term, they don't have to think about the consequences of what they're doing, and we end up worse than we started.
Just look at Mr Howards policy on climate change, and where we are now - if whatever government that was in power 20 years ago had acted then, things could be a whole lot better...  (or we'd be better prepared at least)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 08:11:30 PM »
I better come to penola cheaper than naracoorte hospital or better still drive to the mount and only pay $20 to see a doc.....Sure there are something in the country that we pay for that city people dont,the cost of a visit to doctors here is done bt going to the public hospital you are seen by a nurse and if she feels you need to see a doctor she will call one in.But if she says its only small go see the duty doctor in the morning you still get slugged $180.00 just for her to tell me that...Now thats backwards.. But if you are a tourist and pass by you only get bulk billed......Time all hospitals had (a) there own doctors (b) free services like city hospitals...

Penola is a nice town will be intersting to see how the new supermarket goes when they start it and lets not forget Millicent here is a town that has a large employer but its shops all close at 5pm on a saturday.tuff if your a shift worker and tuff if your a tourist passing by......

From re-collection when i had a really bad bout of Gastroenteritis several years back my parents took me to the Penola Hospital Accident and Emergency Department where a nurse sized up the situation then called in the on call doctor to fix me up.... im not sure if my mum was slugged the $180.00 or was bulk billed cause i do recall they needed a medicare card to write down info so its likely they bulk billed and we only got charged for the gap  :-) 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 08:58:29 PM »
in the majority of rural SA - Docs aren't generally employed by country hospitals - the local GP's are only contracted to the hospital to provide emergency cover as required. (mt Gambier is an exception and has a HMO)

out in the sticks where I worked, the local docs got $700/day for their efforts - plus they billed the patients! 

at $255 500 - you'd think it'd be easier to employ a couple of docs for the hospital at $125000 each and not worry about the GP's!  At least you'd be guaranteed a doctor in the hospital at some point in the day!

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
Trust me Robert you don't want to try and get in the doors without the money now, this has only happened in the last 12 months (and as far as I can work out as it has already been changed to take alot of the old age care bed patients from mt gambier- that if they get less patients coming in through the emergency doors and less admitted by the local doctors then they can get their rating changed and just do aged care because it will show that the emergency department is no longer needed)
 :-) Can you guess this has been pushing my button slightly :? :? :?
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

rescue5271

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 09:02:51 AM »
We live in a country where education and hospital emergency cover is ment to be free,but it still cost us afew arms and legs and if you jump up and down and make waves they dont allow you to see a doctor.The problem is that we can't get doctors/nurses and any skilled workers to come to the country I know a of a couple of hospitals that have lost staff to the mine's as they pay a hell of a lot better....So are we in the backwaters or just a shortage of skilled workers...

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »
"Backwater" is a highly emotive term used by person/s with an "agenda" - usually to spend other people's money on benefitting themselves.

SA is different to the more populous states.  It has different climate, different geography, different ways of doing things, different population pressures, different building materials. Most importantly, it is located at a different place on the planet & some things must necessarily happen differently.

However....Adelaide has the same lack of water (& breast-beating about lack of fore-thought on water infrastructure), the same pressure groups crying for preservation of some old stuff, or changing of other old stuff.  The whingers use exactly the same phrases to compare Melb/Syd/Bris/Perth with each other & overseas capitals.

The whole argument is therefore built on the falsehood that city "A" should somehow being bigger (more expensive) stuff than city "B".  I think it is a load of bollocks.  If someone really thinks Sydney / Melbourne / Brisbane / etc does things so much better, they should put their feet where their mouth is & move there.

And quit their belly-aching.

cheers
AJ
(former resident of Qld, Vic & Tas)

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:35 AM »
But Alan we just want some of our intersate cousins RAIN :wink:
Images are copyright