Author Topic: Favourite rescue tool  (Read 18192 times)

Good times

Favourite rescue tool
« on: June 20, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »
Over the years I am sure a lot of you have used various rescue tools, what are your fav's, I have always preferred Holmatro, but have used the others and they all have thier good points, for overall ease of use I prefer Holmatro.

What do you prefer?

strikeathird

Re: Favourite rescue tool
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 02:56:24 AM »
Hydrolic powered, definately Holmatro, altho don't like the hand swivel which opens and closes the tool.

Fav. Hand tool, definately the Halligan :D (Or Hooligan as some say)

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:08:59 AM »
Anything so long as it's Holmatro :-D

Personally my favourite is a 3150 combi tool - lot's of RCR purists say it's not up to speed for heavy entrapments, but the things you can do with it are amazing. Light, powerful and very versatile.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 09:13:17 AM »
we have just recieved one of these Holmatro Combi-Tools. what sort of restrictions does it have over heavy rescue gear? would you say that for all your "day to day" uses it is up to the task? i have had a play with it but have not used it on a vehicle as yet. seems comfortable to handle tho. :-o

Good times

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 11:24:22 AM »
You can do a fair bit with it, the cutters are not as good as they don't cross over like a dedicated cutter, but you could do door pops , you remove a roof, but the easiest way is to cut up a car and see what it does.

So what happened to your lucas heavy gear then?

strikeathird

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 01:55:40 PM »
I have removed and popped doors, removed the B pillars and thus the side of a car, removed the roof, popped bonnets all with that tool.  It is very handy, and can do most things, altho I wouldnt roll up to a Rescue without knowing that some one with a Heavy set is on the way, as it has some limitations.

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2005, 09:04:29 AM »
i think we are going to be training tonight with the new tool, so I will get to see what it can do :evil:
The haevy rescue equipment is going back to region to be used as they see fit. we have been told it will be re-issued to a brigade that needs heavy rescue equipment.
I have to say i am impressed by the honda pump that is used with this gear. the weight of it is excellent. again, i will have to wait until we have used it to see what it is like in action.

Good times

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2005, 04:51:39 PM »
Question, where have you stowed it on the new truck, and where do you keep the PPV fan?

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 07:43:49 AM »
RE the tool you will be pleasantly suprised at what this can do. Even though the cutters have some minor limitations you should have no problems doing almost all the rapid intervention work you can imagine.
I have seen this tool pop door locks and hinges, complete side of car removal, roof folds, single side dash role (limited spread) and even a roof removal on very wide C pillars.

As stated below this tool is not intented to work a heavy entrapment but it will do more than you expect. Always have a heavy rescue resource coming and you can make a great start to the job.

corocfs

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2005, 10:26:23 AM »
surely eden hills will still require the heavy rescue gear if it wishes to remain as a road crash rescue resource...
eden hills is listed as primary rescue for eden hills (funnily enough) and  bellevue heights, and secondary (default) rescue for blackwood, belair, hawthorndene, coromandel valley, coromandel east, glenalta, cherry gardens, etc....

and to be a road crash resource you must carry;

heavy duty hydraulic cutters
heavy duty hydraulic spreaders
heavy duty hydraulic ram (300mm and 600mm or telescopic)
stabilising equipment
etc....

a qoute from the SA RCR Resource Directory:

"combined cutter/spreader units, referred to as rapid intervention tools or "combi" tools such as  those made my holmatro or hurst do not meet the minimum criteria for a rescue response"

so... does this mean that eden hills will be removed from the road crash directory as a rescue response?? i would presume so.
and therefore the question begs to be asked why was the gear supplied?? seems like a waste of time and money to me.

im not having a personal go, im all for new toys and getting the good gear, but i see it as a major issue.

for instance if we have a rescue in coromandel valley and for some reason blackwood cannot roll there rescue, the defualt will go to eden hills (its happened a few times)... and basically (from my personal knowledge... which ill admit isnt completely comprehensive) a combi-tool isnt sufficient equipment to effect rescue of a single entrapment or multiple trapped personseffect rescue. so what happens then? a second default? this time to MFS? if we are still estimating the chance of a persons survival by using the "golden hour" theory, then weve just cut there odds by delaying rescue

my personal thoughts/concern only...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 10:59:58 AM by corocfs »

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2005, 10:36:01 AM »
Well written Alex,

I think the RCR rescource directory will be re written or editted in this situation as Eden has St Mary's 409 (heavy rescue) down the hill and Blackwood up the hill from them.

I think someone somewhere is auditing what's where and what's need! Whether this is a formal or informal process I'm not too sure, but envisage some more changes around alot of areas as SAFECOMM is assessing things!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »
As for my Favorite RCR tool. I love a Halligan/Hooligan tool! It's a great resource for a ff not only at road crashesd, but at structure fires. I used one to gain access through the curtain roller door at the Mitcham Shopping Centre fire after the MFS disc saw failed (as it has a fibro/diamond cutting disc for concrete on it!)
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2005, 10:57:18 AM »
coro arent a road crash brigade but my favourite tool is the halligan (im sure most ppl love it), ive used it at training to pop car boots and doors, takes quite a bit of muscle and fiddling though, also havge used it to make extra space whilst looking for car batteries to isolate.
and whilst we have goe through the theory of forcing entry into a house with one, i havent had the chance to put it to use yet
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 11:01:47 AM by corocfs »

strikeathird

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2005, 03:31:02 PM »
Well, if the R/R Directory remains the same, (as in obligations, etc.)  I would almost definately expect Eden Hills to be removed as heavy rescue response.  As obviously, they don't carry the gear. ( Correct me if wrong steveg)

Secondly, re: A rescue in corro.   If Blackwood dont respond, i guess it MAY fall on 409, altho,...could be 439. Nearest CFS rescue brigades are probably either Meadows Rescue, or maybe burnside...???

surely eden hills will still require the heavy rescue gear if it wishes to remain as a road crash rescue resource...
eden hills is listed as primary rescue for eden hills (funnily enough) and  bellevue heights, and secondary (default) rescue for blackwood, belair, hawthorndene, coromandel valley, coromandel east, glenalta, cherry gardens, etc....

and to be a road crash resource you must carry;

heavy duty hydraulic cutters
heavy duty hydraulic spreaders
heavy duty hydraulic ram (300mm and 600mm or telescopic)
stabilising equipment
etc....

a qoute from the SA RCR Resource Directory:

"combined cutter/spreader units, referred to as rapid intervention tools or "combi" tools such as  those made my holmatro or hurst do not meet the minimum criteria for a rescue response"

so... does this mean that eden hills will be removed from the road crash directory as a rescue response?? i would presume so.
and therefore the question begs to be asked why was the gear supplied?? seems like a waste of time and money to me.

im not having a personal go, im all for new toys and getting the good gear, but i see it as a major issue.

for instance if we have a rescue in coromandel valley and for some reason blackwood cannot roll there rescue, the defualt will go to eden hills (its happened a few times)... and basically (from my personal knowledge... which ill admit isnt completely comprehensive) a combi-tool isnt sufficient equipment to effect rescue of a single entrapment or multiple trapped personseffect rescue. so what happens then? a second default? this time to MFS? if we are still estimating the chance of a persons survival by using the "golden hour" theory, then weve just cut there odds by delaying rescue

my personal thoughts/concern only...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 07:00:58 PM by strikeathird »

corocfs

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 03:47:39 PM »
Well, if the R/R Directory remains the same, (as in obligations, etc.)  I would almost definately expect Eden Hills to be removed as heavy rescue response.  As obviously, they don't carry the gear. ( Correct me if wrong steveg)

eden hills will fail to qualify as a rescue resource full stop, not just a heavy rescue. therefore rescue should no longer be there role anywhere, this is why i dont understand the logic behind purchasing the new equipment!!!

the funds that were spent on this rescue tool that technically should never be used could have been spent on the auxillary pump eden need.

in regards to default rescue for coro, without eden hills i should think it would fall to either st marys MFS or stirling CFS

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 04:00:16 PM »
409 or 439 (Christies) I'd say if it was west of coro station. I can't see the MFS saying no they won't respond to a RCR in CFS area, it's really a duty of care situation.

When I was a Yankalilla in 1993 we called for MFS assistance with a rescue at Myponga Beach, grader rollover from bridge and had to call for heavier rescue equipment. Response time was a bit long, but they still got there and did the job. It was 204 from the City then in the pod format!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Good times

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 05:10:13 PM »
No question, MFS will go anywhere they are asked to, it doesn't make sense to send Meadows or Burnside, that would be negligent due to response times, MFS will always have a rescue available, somewhere, and if worse comes to worse, get Eden Hills on the way, there is nothing that says you can't start a rescue with a combi tool, you just can't go on your own, all they would have to do is ask the responding rescue appliance their ETA, and is its not within reason, start getting to work?

Just what I think is logical.

corocfs

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 05:15:49 PM »
definitely makes sense tio start getting to work with the combi tool, but im just saying,, i cant understand the reasoning behind the purchase of it.

strikeathird

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 06:59:07 PM »
If you call for them, fair enough, they wont say no, but they may not be first response.

Any way....  back to peoples favourite Rescue Tool!     :wink:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 07:02:45 PM by strikeathird »

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 12:06:48 PM »
You're right about MFS responding anywhere, I believe they sent 204 to an animal rescue near Williamstown a couple of months ago at the request of the local brigade.

As far as rescue tools go, Morphett Vale is not a rescue brigade so we don't have much exposure to hydraulic rescue gear, we do however carry a Dewalt 18 volt reciprocating saw kit which we have used a number of times at training to demolish cars. We use the cars in training but it would be unlikely we would perform any sort of extrication duties at a job (MFS respond to all our rescues), we do however use it all the time at car fires to cut the locking mechanism on the bonnet and at structure fires for making quick access through gates or roller doors etc, not quite as good as a quick cut saw but it gets the job done.

Offline Broadside

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2005, 12:46:02 PM »
I was at a group meeting approximately 12 months ago with an RO there. The discussion came up about combi tools and rescues. We were told that brigades with combi tools can respond to rescues in there area and do the work but a heavy rescue brigade must also be responded.

corocfs

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 03:08:23 PM »
I was at a group meeting approximately 12 months ago with an RO there. The discussion came up about combi tools and rescues. We were told that brigades with combi tools can respond to rescues in there area and do the work but a heavy rescue brigade must also be responded.
thankyou...

this is exactly what i have been trying to say only in a differant way, the heavy rescue ahs to be responded becasue it would be the road crash resource for the area.

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 04:14:09 PM »
I thought that was a known fact.  :?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 05:08:35 PM »
As far as RCR goes - despite all of our opinions, thoughts and assumptions, it is reassuring to know that when a call is made that one of the dispatch bodies will refer to the RCRRD (Road Crash Rescue Resource Directory) and ensure that the appropriate resource is responded.

As for making changes - that is done at a Regional level and where a change will effect another service sign off is required by all services - a little over the top and time consuming, however it has previous prevented the domination by any one service. Deciding who responds, was in the last update a combination of local knowledge, ground truthing and computer modeling - very effective. Once a change is made, the CRD centre are notified immediately to allow their electronic dispatch databases to immediately reflect the change - due to cost though the printed versions are only updated every couple of years.

Now my favorite rescue tool - a shunt/break knife - introduced to SA by FARA from the eastern states and sensational at allowing easy access through locked doors without doing the unnecessary damage created by hooligan tools,jemmy bars and sledge hammers - basically you tap it past the lock, recessing the locking mechanism/bolt back into the lock body and then open the door - can also be used on windows and alike - not a good option though for the roller doors in the Mitcham Shopping centre though  :wink:
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2005, 07:55:58 PM »
We Were given the choice of losing the rescue gear altogether, or keeping the equipment that we now have. it has been proven that this gear will do %95 of the work we need to do.
As fas as responding to rescue jobs, we should always have a heavy rescue appliance on route as well.
Most of our members are also maintaining their rescue training, so in the event that blackwood are unable to respond a crew, or are short crewed, we will still be able to do the rescue with their equipment.

anything