Author Topic: Favourite rescue tool  (Read 18053 times)

strikeathird

Re: Favourite rescue tool
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »
Why were u given to option to loose the HVY, and or get the Rapid?

Was it decided that its just not needed, or some one just decided they didnt want you having it?  Or did you guys not want it ?

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 01:50:48 PM »
It is my understanding that we were going to lose rescue altogether, as there was other brigades that needed the heavy gear more than us. after much debate at all levels, the compromise was reached that we would be issued the R.I.G. or nothing at all.
the gear is capable of most things we do at the moment anyway, as has been proven. As far as responding to rescue jobs, there will always be a Heavy rescue appliance\crew on the way as well. That could be blackwood, and or 409 or any other Heavy rescue brigade as needed.

GT- you asked about where it has been stowed, The drivers side full height locker is designed for rescue gear.
the PPV fan is in the drivers side middle locker ( above the wheel).

strikeathird

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 04:01:09 PM »
Well, at least you got R.I.V instead of loosing it all together.

Has it been used in anger yet ?.............  or still waiting for the pager to drop on that one  :-)

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 08:06:57 PM »
Nah, havent used it yet. Patience is a virtue.... :x

corocfs

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2005, 09:10:30 AM »
it probably never will be used in anger... heavy rescue at St. MArys and Blackwood. 2 minutes away in either direction...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 09:22:11 AM »
Either way - good to see Eden maintaining rescue equipment!

It wasn't that many years ago (well maybe 10+) that Belair also carried Rescue equipment, which was sent to KI - no replacement offered. Interesting now though, although very unfortunately, that the majority of serious accidents in the Sturt Group area have occurred in the Belair response area!

The positive side - rescue, heavy surrounds Belair and the Sturt Group - Blackwood, Stirling, St Marys, Burnside, Adelaide and down south Meadows.

Its reassuring to know that if you are fortunate enough to live in the Adelaide Hills that we are surrounded by Rescue Equipment and competent trained operators!!!!  If only this was the case across the state.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 02:49:28 PM »
Alex, clearly you have a problem with us carrying this gear. I personally believe that regardless of wether it gets used once a week or once every 2 years, it is a good thing to have.I wonder, Would your opinion be the same if a person were pinned in their seat and bleeding out, on the main road, when there is a freight train  going past, slowing blackwoods responce by several minutes?409 is frequently out on jobs, and from there the next appliance is some while away? With this gear, we can provide rapid rescue from most situations, knowing that there will always be a heavy rescue appliance coming to back us up, even if it is ten minutes away.
As a service, it is our job to protect the community, and I reckon that anything we can use to help in this role is a good thing.

strikeathird

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 04:14:29 PM »
Thats absoloutly right steve.  Even down to the point of crew, all it needs it Blackwood to have a day when there is no crew around, and you are it, untill either Saint Mary's (If they are home) or elsewhere arrive...

corocfs

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 05:40:54 PM »
Alex, clearly you have a problem with us carrying this gear. I personally believe that regardless of wether it gets used once a week or once every 2 years, it is a good thing to have.I wonder, Would your opinion be the same if a person were pinned in their seat and bleeding out, on the main road, when there is a freight train  going past, slowing blackwoods responce by several minutes?409 is frequently out on jobs, and from there the next appliance is some while away? With this gear, we can provide rapid rescue from most situations, knowing that there will always be a heavy rescue appliance coming to back us up, even if it is ten minutes away.
As a service, it is our job to protect the community, and I reckon that anything we can use to help in this role is a good thing.

i dont know if you just havent been reading my posts... or chose to ignore them.

neway... i have no problem with you guys carrying the gear!!!!!
my problem is that you are no longer a rescue brigade because of the gear that has been changed over to, and also the fact that you wanted money for an auxillary pump..

all my comments have been supporting you guys saying you should have kept HEAVY RESCUE!!!!

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 06:16:26 PM »
Alex, I apologise. We have misinterpreted some of your posts, and appreciate your support. We agree that we should have kept the heavy rescue, however we were not given the choice of keeping it. The R.I.G was the best we could hope for.
this is not the place to get into the Auxillary Pump, being a discussion forum aimed at vehicle rescue.

Anyway, i have to say, having used the R.I.G. on a vehicle the other night, it seems like a really good bit of gear. lighter to use, the pump weighs bugger-all, and for Popping doors, cutting pillars and such its just fine.

strikeathird

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 08:56:17 PM »
After using various tools, both styles, makes and brands, I have to say the ONLY one 'complaint' as such, with that Holmatro set, and most of there sets, are the Hand/wrist swivel lever...  (EG, some sets have a thumb lever, you turn each way, holmatro's set u are holding the level, and swivel it left or right)

I found, and only on a couple of occasions, when popping doors or cutting pillars at a higher level - EG - waist, to shoulder height, that you would inadvertanly open or close the hydrolics in movement of the tool..  Example,  lifting the tool to nearly shoulder height to cut the top of a pillar, or pop the door that is caught between the roof and crushed pillar, as you are getting into position, because you are supporting the weight in both arms, the swivel occasionally opend or closed..   One reason, when using tools with the thumb switch, were more benificial, as this didnt happen..  Altho, then you find the times you have the tool in the right spot, and you cant reach the lever with your thumb.......... :roll:

** Waiting for the day, rescue tools work via Mind Control  :lol: 8-) **

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005, 08:22:32 AM »
I have not experienced it as a problem yet, but i can definately see the potential for problems with the twist lever. I dont know why they went away from the Lucas gear, which had the thumb wheel right round the handle, so it oculd be reached no matter the angle you were on. plus the holmatro twist handle seems to be made from a heavy plastic, as opposed to aluminium or steel. dont know how firefighter-proof that will be? any ideas?

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »
If you are new to Holmatro it won't take long to become a convert Lucas is a relatively new addition to CFS and imo is not as user friendly as Holmatro.
The current series of Holmatro is easy and quick to couple up and is very easy to use. I personally don't find the Lucas thumb lever easy to use but the holmatro style is great.

In the end these are not design flaws on either side but come down to user preference. Often the gear you first use becomes your favourite.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2005, 10:05:57 AM »
Having been a RARTO/RCRTO I been exposed to Holmatro, Hurst and Lucas gear and found they really are much of a muchness between all of them. I started with some really old Holmatro Series 1 gear at Yankalilla, which was classed as Heavy Rescue Gear and used to have to just use a hand pump until we got the petrol pump in about 1993.

I'd have to say though that I've found the weight balance of the Holmatro gear to be about right, with most of the tools giving an equal weight in both hands in most working positions. The Hurst Spreaders I've found to be a bit awkward with the tool handle thumb switch combination and they are a bit short from butt to tip.

I'd like to see all services go to a standard supply though so gears is easily interchangable at incidents and we could end up with a significant reserve of equipment in the state for replacement during time of service and repair!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2005, 01:42:25 PM »
aint that the truth, about having a standard that we all stick with.
I have to agree about ease of coupling with the holmatro, no twist-lock on the couplings will prove to be a godsend when its 2am and pouring with rain.
balance is good on the RIG, when coupled to the pump. weight is also good for prolonged use.
Dont know for sure, but dont the Mets all carry Holmatro gear? i have also heard a whisper that all their appliances carry RIG. Anybody know for sure?

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2005, 09:02:28 PM »
All MFS General Purpose Pumpers carry rapid intervention (Holmatro combi tool).

Offline Steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 08:37:51 AM »
do you know if they get a lot of use out of them, or do they usually get booted when HR appliance arrives?
I imagine they would also use them a lot for other things, forced entry etc??

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 10:45:10 AM »
MFS do use them allot - as you know it's a quick and easy tool and often by just popping a door they can allow SAAS entry and patient removal.

Also good as a primary entry tool (the original reason given when they were put on each pump several years ago when questioned by the RCRSC = Road Crash Rescue Steering Committee).

Although as with any tool only as good as the operator, their competency and the task at hand - they tried both a combi tool and a disc cutter at Mitcham shopping centre fire and ultimately all forced entries were gained with either a hooligan tool or jemmy bar! Although they did use them extremely successfully at the shopping centre fires down Findon way to gain entry!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 11:13:56 PM »
I have heard of many a times when RIV gear has popped a door etc, prior to HR arrival.

Also, the RIV sets come in useful, when the HR arrives, and needs a second tool set, with the second HR a number of mins away.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2005, 09:55:53 AM »
Back on favourite rescue gear - I have only used Holmatro and Hurst at STC. We have always used Lucas (old gear was Fag Lucas - new gear is Lucas) and I guess we just love what we have :-) I understand the Hurst is excellent but seemed very cumbersome and heavy. Didn't like Holmatro seemed lightweight and cumbersome, also couldn't get used to not having no thumb control.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2005, 10:16:44 AM »
Re
when there is a freight train  going past, slowing blackwoods responce by several minutes?409
This is not a problem, we would go up Edgecumbe Pde then go down Coromandel Pde. When we come out of East Tce we have a clear look at the train line, just clearing things up.
PS I like Eden's new appliance

corocfs

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2005, 10:48:47 AM »
unless you were going specifically to east tce, you'd probly go up hewitt ave to get to main rd anyway to avoid the stop sign though, wouldnt you?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2005, 11:51:05 AM »
Yes, we do go up hewitt ave.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2005, 01:03:35 PM »
I remember our old hurst gear. By no means do i claim it to be the best gear out there.

We had a combi tool, which got used at pretty much every accident we went to....

Short and long ram. I have to say i like the feet on the hurst rams a lot better. Dont slide anywhere near as easily.

and a set of heavy spreaders...... Now you could only use this thing for about 5 minutes (cause it was so HEAVY) and was always recommended to have someone assisting so you could extend that time out a bit.

as well as cutters of course - but they were very rarely used.

Not the easiest gear to use by far, but i think one of the more fuctional sets ive seen....

and lets not forget the hooligan tool  :-D

strikeathird

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2005, 01:03:27 AM »
My votes still with the halligan tool.. (Or hooligan, as some say... :-P )

Nothing beats it..    :-)

anything