Author Topic: Eden Hills Type 2 Pumper  (Read 35174 times)

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
Re: Eden Hills Type 2 Pumper
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »
According to the page I recieved Eden Pumper went online on Sunday Night. The Loiusville is being kept in the Group as Eden Alpha Pumper incase of any transition problems.
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

Good times

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2005, 08:27:36 PM »
Yes, I heard about the possible issues, funnily enough those Type 2's are one of the only trucks that have got on with the job without any fuss, might have to use the 24 for offroad stuff, thats the only thing they will miss.

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 03:30:16 PM »
now that there are three of these pumpers in  the state will CFS/SAFECOM,make these the front line pumper's instead of half pumpers like the 24p????

Good times

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 04:45:20 PM »
It looks that way Bill, could do a lot worse than the Type 2, but you will go blue in the face telling the staff that 24P/34P's don't cut the mustard.

Offline JamesGar

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Belair CFS
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 08:24:47 AM »
Had a good crawl over the Eden Pumper yesterday, before they had to head out for a HAZMAT job. I'm really impressed in it! Would like an Auto Gear Box though.

Interesting on the Pump is that to Draught from a tank or dam quickest way of filling tank is to run a filler length from an outlet and feed it to the direct tank feed!

Looks the goods!
James Gardiner
Belair CFS

corocfs

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2005, 08:35:49 PM »
CFA Isuzu Type 3 Heavy Pumper??? looks like its a few years old though.

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 09:19:11 PM »
Had a drive of eden hills new pumper the other day very nice and it pulls up those hills very well,lots of good lighting for working and the pump is very easy to use. I understand the cost was $320,000 and when I asked if this was going to be the standard pumper was informed no as its only a prototype?? mmmmmm well that is funny as CFS have 3 of these pumpers and I would have said if we have 3 then get more,as for a score 10/10....

corocfs

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 09:22:30 PM »
question begs to be asked....

how did you manage to scam a drive, without being an eden hills brigade driver?

strikeathird

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »
Question answered by a third party....

Any person with an MR license can drive any CFS appliance, unless a seperate licencse is required. (Eg, some Tankers etc).

As long as permission was granted (and im guessing it obviously was), im sure it would be easy to tee up a drive.

Remember, we are the CFS, we are not seperate identities, with secret brigade names, and secret handshakes only allowing our own members to look/touch and play with the equipment down the station.... (Trucks included).

corocfs

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2005, 12:13:27 AM »
ahh kk, thats fine. but still i am concerned about wether taking it  for a "spin" was necessary, as bill is from naracoorte ( i believe???) and has a truck there that is almost a carbon copy....

i just think theres a little too much joy-riding of new appliances sometimes.

strikeathird

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2005, 01:00:52 AM »
Roger.

I think it would have been more of a 'comparison' to the trucks if anything.

Wil have to ask blinky about that one.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 09:43:40 AM »
:-D Lighten up Coro  :-D - It's great to be enthusiastic and interested in new things. Being invited to or arranging a drive in a new appliance is a great idea.
Increases inter-brigade communication and helps break down any tribal them and us attitudes. I doubt it was a joy ride. I don't think we look beyond our own worlds often enough, we can learn alot from seeing how others do things. We can't learn if we dont' go and have chats or in this case have a drive.  :wink:

What do you think?

rescue5271

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 02:15:03 PM »
I was given the chance to drive it firstly as the captain of the brigade asked me to compare it with the one down here but also my brother in law is a member of eden hills. I also have taken some new pictures of it and these will be past onto the promo unit,I am sure if you ask then you may get to drive it....

rescue5271

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2005, 02:20:44 PM »
i would say that few people have there nose out of joint about my drive of this pumper?? it was not a joy ride but a great way to compare this and the two that are in the state. I am fully behind a push to have CFS buy more of these units and would hope they do,corocfs if you have a problem then get over it. We should all be happy that eden hills have this pumper and if more people just took the time to look at what is new in appliances and have more of a say rather than sit on the fence then we may buy some more :evil:

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2005, 10:02:49 AM »
Ok - no more witching everyone! Need to get your fix of a new appliance - then do it with the Chief!

Now YOU ALL have the opportunity  :-D

MEDIA RELEASE: EDEN HILLS CFS TO COMMISSION NEW GENERATION OF FIRE APPLIANCE

The Eden Hills Brigade of the SA Country Fire Service will commission their new fire appliance this weekend.

CFS Chief Officer, Euan Ferguson, will officially hand over the keys to the Captain of the Brigade, Neil Gloyn, at a special commissioning presentation on Sunday 31 July 2005 at the Eden Hills CFS Station.
The new ‘Eden Pumper’ replaces the former ‘Eden 51’ Ford Louisville, which began service in 1984, a year after the Ash Wednesday Two bushfires.

In it’s 21-year history with the Eden Hills CFS Brigade, the former ‘Eden 51’ has attended more than 5,000 incidents including the 2005 Black Tuesday and 1994 Sydney bushfires, as well as major structure fires at the Port Stanvac Oil Refinery, Blackwood High School, Blackwood cold stores, and numerous other homes and businesses.

The new appliance – an ‘Isuzu FTR900’ chassis – is one of three currently in South Australia. It carries 2,000 litres of water and has a rear mounted pump capable of distributing 3,000 litres per minute at 1,000kpa. It is primarily designed for structural firefighting and can assist in hydrant ‘boosting’ giving it the title of ‘Pumper’.

‘Eden Pumper’ is one of two new fire appliances for the Sturt CFS Group. On 26 June 2005, the Blackwood CFS Brigade commissioned their new ‘Blackwood 24 CAFS’ appliance featuring a modern Compressed Air Foam System (CAFS) – the first of it’s kind in South Australia – which uses more foam to suppress fires rather than water.

CFS Chief Officer Euan Ferguson said he was encouraged to see the ongoing initiatives of the Sturt Group coming to the fore of firefighting in South Australia.

‘This new generation of fire appliances will shape the future of firefighting to 2020 and beyond,’ Euan said.

Media are invited to attend the commissioning, which will commence 2pm this Sunday at the Eden Hills CFS Station on Northcote Road, Eden Hills.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2005, 02:34:34 PM »
I attended the commissioning yesterday.

A few pics are in Firefrogs gallery. Click on the galery button and then user galleries.

And here http://www.safirefighter.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=1

Wagon 1

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2005, 11:27:25 AM »
So Eden Hills members, after reading all this and seeing the date, how is it all going?

Good, Bad and the Ugly.

Offline Steveg

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2005, 08:31:59 AM »
i have but one lament. that is the lack of a 7th seat.
the appliance is performing beautifully. although we have not had a big job yet with it, we are all confident that it is going to meet our wants and needs 100%.

there is a couple of extremely minor niggles, but these are nothing more than the standard new vehicle bugs- leaky air fitting etc...

i dont think that it would be a very practical appliance for a brigade whose priamry call type is grass fires, but for any brigade in an urban area, i give it 2 thumbs up.

for all those out there who say "but it only has one high pressure line", i say when you get to a going job, be it a structure, car, whatever, if you need more than one high pressure line, you should be going to a 38\64 regardless. we have 2 flaked lenghts pre-made, and with a bit of practice, most of us can get the 38 out and into the fray in only a slightly longer time than the HP line.

pump i simple to work, takes a litle practice, but once you get your head round it it can almost be used with your eyes shut...
anyway, like i said, 2 thumbs up.

will let everyone know how she goes when we go to a full blown job..

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2005, 08:52:57 AM »
Steve - Great to hear - Giddy Up.

Glad you like the pumper and your comments about the flacked 38 are excellent - good to see a very urban briagde who has had a history of 2 x 90mtr HP lines has adapted to the change and excellent to see the use of 38mm lines  :-D One question - do the 38mm lines have a variable flow branchs (Protchs, Acrons or similar) or did you stay with the automatics (TFT's) - main reason for query - water use with the 38.

Look forward to a report on how it goes at the big one :-)
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Wagon 1

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2005, 08:58:07 AM »
Thanks Steve, good to hear, and good to see the use of 38's more, I often think we rely to much on the HP line. Do the drivers miss not having an auto box?

corocfs

« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2005, 09:11:26 PM »
interesting to note, the old Eden appliance "Battlestar Gallactica" pmper has turned up to fill our 24s bay while it is off for repairs,,, i had been under the impression that it had already been de-commisioned... apparently not???

Wagon 1

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
I suppose if its still in working order it would make a really good spare truck.

corocfs

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:32 AM »
i agree.. its the best spare truck you could hope for.

im just confused. every truck swap i have heard of basically the old truck gets driven to where the new one is, you swap keys and head home in the new truck, yes?

the reason eden were given there new appliance was because the ford was 20y.o. and due to be decomissioned, otherwise it would be a stomper of a truck for another brigade to have.

Wagon 1

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2005, 01:15:27 AM »
Yeah, I heard via the grape vine that the reason its hanging around is that Eden will be given some time to get used to the Type 2, and if its not suitable they will get the Ford back until a 34P could be delivered. Again, what I was told when I asked why it was still sitting in Cherry Gardens station.

rescue5271

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2005, 06:59:26 AM »
I have it from someone up the chain the old eden pumper is going to made into a BWC and will be sent to ???? Cant say sorry and will be in the field for sometime yet. Nice to see the guys at eden are enjoying the new pumper as I said they would,I think they are using proteck on the 38mm flake hose lines. As steve said you dont need the 2nd HP line and if you do you should be using 38/64 mm hose for the job. I hope that all the little things have been fixed and that you guys filled in the report on your new appliances for tech services.

As I have said before its a nice appliances to drive and its much better than I thought it would be for the area that it is in. Would like to hear how it goes on a big job and I am sure it will go well...