Author Topic: [AdelaideNow] "Toxic" Firefighting Foam floats in Darwin - AFFF from RAAF Base  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Toxic foam floats over DarwinArticle from: AAPFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print By Tara Ravens
March 03, 2008 03:41pm
TOXIC fire-fighting foam phased out by fire brigades years ago because of health concerns has drifted into Darwin suburbs after an electrical fault at a defence base.

The US-made foam was emitted yesterday by an automatic fire suppression system at the Darwin RAAF base and blew into nearby suburbs, authorities said.

A Northern Territory defence spokeswoman identified the foam as Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF), which is classed as "a medium-toxicity irritant.''

The American company 3M stopped manufacturing AFFF in 2000 following environmental testing, although it continued to sell off existing stocks.

The use of AFFF at the Darwin base was confirmed by Kelly Cooper, the Defence Regional Manager of Public Affairs NT.

Firefighters in the Northern Territory stopped using the product, which contains the hazardous chemical perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS), in late 2003.

Clumps of AFFF - looking like small white clouds - were spotted floating over Darwin and into backyards after it was used at the RAAF base at 8.45am (CST) yesterday.

An automatic fire suppression system at a hangar in the base had been activated due to an electrical fault, Ms Cooper said in a statement.

"As part of the clean-up activities it appears some of the foam may have blown off the RAAF Base into surrounding suburbs,'' Ms Cooper said.

An initial statement described the substance as "a low-toxicity irritant, and when mixed appropriately under normal circumstances is benign''.

But the advice was amended a few hours later, indicating a higher level of danger.

"The product is a medium toxicity irritant,'' an updated statement said.

"Two of the components of the AFFF are persistent pollutants with significant marine and aquatic effects.''

Andrew Marmion, OHS coordinator from the Victorian branch of the United Firefighters Union (UFU), said concerns over the product's safety were well known.

Firefighters in Victoria stopped using the foam in 2006, despite expensive disposal costs.

"It has been off the American market for longer than in Australia, but the problem has been there were huge quantities of it and no way of getting rid of it,'' Mr Marmion said.

"It was a lot more harmful to the environment than we realised ... when we put the stuff on a fire, it would run off into water tables and end up in water catchments and it doesn't break down.

"It just stays there and will float on the water, affecting the stability of the water. It's quite serious.''

Mr Marmion said the foam could cause dermatitis in people and was also an eye irritant.

He said a waste disposal company was hired in Victoria to get rid of the product soon after its dangers were realised.

"If they (the defence department) want to get rid of it it can be done but of course there is a cost fact involved,'' he said.

Darwin firefighter Steve Osborne said PFOS was "showing up'' in environmental tests when the NT fire authorities decided to stop using it five years ago.

"The way they described it, it's like a chemical that never breaks down, it's indestructible.... there were questions about what it was doing to the food chain.''

Further comment was being sought from the defence department.

Interesting how AFFF foam is being described as Toxic and bad for the environment.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
... It always has been to my knowledge?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
mmm i know about it...but not to this degree of concern.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Is that the one that we can no longer get hold of?

I was told the stuff we now use is little more  environmental friendly  :?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I would suggest the "concern" has been hyped up a little more in the article.. - 10-15 years ago it got used Australia wide on a near daily basis..

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Its not nice stuff, but then again, EVERYTHING gives you cancer these days...

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
I would suggest the "concern" has been hyped up a little more in the article.. - 10-15 years ago it got used Australia wide on a near daily basis..

and so was asbestos!

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Jeez and i used to play in the stuff when i was a cadet, i guess thats what went wrong :lol:

So whats the AFFF equivalent now is just branded as 6% foam or what??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
We used to wash the tankers with it when I was in the service - great for getting diesel stains off  :wink:
Medium level irritant? Didn't do me any harm - they told me that weird rash was something else? :-D
Most likely a mob of civilian sooks looking for money - next thing Slater & Gordon will be raising a class action :evil:
And while I'm on the subject what ever happen to BCF? great for cooling things down outside :wink:
Cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Tridol S is a synthetic AFFF, I believe that is the current replacement.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
http://www.nicnas.gov.au/Publications/NICNAS_Alerts/Alert_1_PFOS_PDF.pdf

http://www.fbeu.net/1063.html

http://www.fbeu.net/b326be98_19f6_4702_9d29_3c5d8df355e5.pdf

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/publications/NICNAS_Alerts/EC_Alert5.pdf

http://www.nicnas.gov.au/publications/NICNAS_Alerts.asp

This issue was raised loud and clear with CFS OHS people about 5 years ago. They seemed un-interested and not fussed. It was raised again with senior CFS regional staff and State training staff. The response was "there is too much of it out there not much we can do"

Very sad - I know this is fact as I was the one who let them know.

This could become a huge issue for peoples health, you really should be taking HAZMAT style precautions if you are using 3M AFFF.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 06:21:23 PM by Firefrog »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Full turnout/P2 mask/Nitrile gloves/Goggles, would be my happy minimum, inline with other services.