Author Topic: fire hose  (Read 6749 times)

uniden

fire hose
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem odd to others that fire services in NSW and Vic still use canvas delivery hose (64mm size)? Whilst here in SA we have been using duraline in that size and 38mm for years.

Obvious drawback having canvas is that it has to be cleaned and dried prior to re-use. Of course you also need a heap of spare hose to replace the ones you have used whilst the other is drying. Not to mention that you need a drying rack /tower.

Are we just further ahead of our fellow fire services?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: fire hose
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 02:52:34 PM »

Are we just further ahead of our fellow fire services?

Further ahead...not when it comes to appliances :-P
Images are copyright

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 06:30:23 PM »
I think you will find our appliances (Paid and Vol) are at the forefront of design and safety..- Sure, a couple of problems here and their, but many agencies around the country would jump too have some of the equipment we (as a State) have..

Offline Red Message

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 07:07:17 PM »
I would easily take 70mm canvas over the Duraline. I find the canvas far easier to use, more flexible, less slippery when wet and it rolls far better than duraline in my experience

In terms of firefighting tech, SA has some great stuff, but is lacking in other areas. NSW is still 'trialling' MDT's - Go figure. If there was more caring and sharing between fire services Australia wide, we would certainly see vast improvements in firefighting technology overall.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

uniden

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »
so you dont mind all the time spent cleaning, drying, restocking etc?

Offline Red Message

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 07:38:44 PM »
Not really. Its exactly the same as using the 25mm canvas, just the 25 tends to get dirtier. Unless you have a particularly dirty job they don't really need cleaning, even when they do its maybe 5-10 minutes depending on how much hose you have. Hanging them up the hose tower is fine, but can be a pain in the arse in winter.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:30 PM »
so you dont mind all the time spent cleaning, drying, restocking etc?

Not when your paid for it!.. Makes most jobs alot easier.. hehe..

rescue5271

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 08:19:35 PM »
I like canvas,and it has its place and is far better to drag around than duraline sure its cheaper to buy it does not take long to clean and dry and you shouls also be doing the same with duraline........If you talk to the hose makers here in Austrlai and there are only two company's left they tell you that you should still wash,clean and dry all types of hoses....Duraline has its place,but its very hard to do a hose lay from a pumper with duraline...

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:19:53 AM »
Difference is more like percolating vs non-percolating hose.

Percolating is self-protecting when dragging it around a hot bush-fire. Weeps water so it won't burn through readily, & minor pin-pricks from barbed wire etc don't really matter. The cost is that it has significantly higher friction loss, & needs a bit of extra care to keep it from rotting.

Duraline & other non-percolating hoses have much lower friction losses - many more lengths can be added.  Most are much higher pressure hoses to begin with so are less likely to burst.  This increases the number of lengths that can be added & still have >700KPa at the branch.

choose the tool that does the best job for the risks faced by the brigade.

Urban interface in the Hills might be better off with non-percolating to tolerate the pump pressures needed to get up & over hills. Mallee brigade might be better off with percolating to protect the hose from hot spots & stumps & fences & etc.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:53:42 AM »
We use 38mm Canvas when working in the forests in the South East for that reason AJ.  Stops the hose being burnt through by a rogue coal.

It also makes equipment between us and forestry sa standard when working together on the fireground.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Red Message

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13:30 AM »
I didn't think the discussion was about percolating/non-percolating hose. I swear it was Canvas/Duraline. Not all canvas hose is percolating. These days though, what appears to be canvas hose can also be made of nylon or other fibres.

Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

rescue5271

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:03 PM »
yes lots of NYLON hose out there and its finding its way onto fire appliances burns well.....

Offline Red Message

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:08:20 PM »
And burnt hose is caused by... Operator error
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 03:03:34 PM »
so true Red Message

Mind you i have seen alot more hose get damages by people yanking it into a stick stumps or something else.

rescue5271

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 07:59:33 PM »
I would say its the fault of the person with in the group / region who is buying it with out looking at the hose,i have come across a few and there are no hose markings on it,who made it or where it came from...So must be cheap and nasty...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 06:45:12 AM »
and yet Bill, if your melting it, the fact remains that it shouldnt have been left there. Ive used plenty of differant kinds of hose and plenty of differant types of jobs.... havent melted a hose thus far.

however i have had hoses, both canvas & duraline/nylon blow for whatever reason...

anything