Author Topic: Is it just me . . . . . . .  (Read 11418 times)

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Is it just me . . . . . . .
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »
Or is there more and more criticism on this forum lately?

People read posts with their 'angry eyes' on - comments are construed as negative or critical, often regardless of how they may be intended. Responses are all too often argumentative or taking a superior tone.

The pager threads seem to have turned in to 'post an odd message, and pick the heck out of it'.

People love to analyse a situation based on what seems to be bugger all information. No one gets the benefit of the doubt anymore.
Anyone appearing to do something slightly odd gets essentially ridiculed as incompetent, stupid, or both. Regardless of whether they're a member of this forum or not.

Has my perspective changed of late, or have we all turned in to a pack of whinging, arrogant twits??

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it just me . . . . . . .
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:01:07 PM »
agreed, multiple people are sensing this, lets improve the quailty of discussion.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 07:04:57 PM »
I agree on the surface but I believe it is deeper than that.

SAFF has 625 members and CFS had ~ 15000 (AS most of the discussion is about CFS I will leave MFS out of the  equation.)

now of the 625 members of SAFF about 300 have ever posted and about 100 of those 300 are really regular. Now I'd take a punt and say that most of those 100 are from brigades less than an hours drive from Adelaide city. Which means that a large proportion of posts is going to have a metro fringe bias. (and it shows) SO as long as everyone who joins and enters into a discussion realizes that what you post will be largely viewed through these eyes (and i have been caught out by this)  you should be fine.

Note 100 or so members from similar areas saying things about an organisation of 15000 over a huge area will never be a real representation of the WHOLE service.

end rant

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 08:37:14 PM »
This forums has been a hot bed of idiots for as long as I can remember. There is a difference between picking a page for instance and commenting "This is an odd response" and seeing a page and getting into a big whine about how the 'correct' service wasn't notified, or that SAAS let the system down or blah blah blah.

I totally agree that the level od discussion needs to get to a higher plane on these boards, and I have tried to start some discussion worthy topics. Sadly they either get railroaded by some of the SES boys here or have CFS members just being stupid with topics.

Cases in point being the 'Rescuing the Rescuers topic' where an attempt at good firefighting discussion got turned into "SES ARE RESCUE CALL US" and hence went down the toilet, as well as the "CFS Aerials" thread got hijacked by idiots suggesting that their small town needed and aerial because of a concrete silo or a two storey house.

So many threads that appear to be decent get sidetracked by idiotic suggestions by people who don't think think through or apply a small amount of logic to things. If you've got nothing constructive to add or are only going to point out that your service is better, DON'T BOTHER!

(I know, don't mention my attitude to Seafood)

Bittenyakka, you make  good point, but of the 625 that are members, the 300 that post and the 100 that are semi regular, there are only a small handful ~20 that really appear to know what they are talking about. This is a decent representation of the service I think. We have our busy brigade members here that do oodles of minor calls, our not so busy members where every job is a decent going one and our poor cousins from the bush that are the heart of the CFS, and certainly put the Country in Country Fire Service.

Just because a brigade is within an hour drive of the city, doesn't mean much about how competent they are. I do agree with the dominant view being from the city, and I for one and certainly at fault for that. As I have said quite often, I don't have any faith in the Metro SES units, yet I know that the country ones are very good at what they do. This is almost the opposite of the skills of CFS stations.

In short, lets not try to torpedo discussions totally with bullshit. The odd dig here and there is fine, but my god do some people take this site and life in general FAR too seriously.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 08:50:33 PM »
Numbers you mentioned idiots & versions of a fair few times, I agree with the comments previous to yours that the people who post on this forum do not represent the majority of any of the services.
I'm sorry that any conversation that includes the word rescue raises my interest, but is viewed by you as hijacked! All I offered was a short term fix but as usual it degenerated from there into a slanging match. And yet any topic which involves our core skills is commented on infinitum, usually in a derogatory way!
I agree with arrogant, not sure about twits though!
So yep I agree the conversations are diminishing in quality & quantity - but what do you do?
Anyway at the end of the day it doesn't really matter does it?
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 04:20:09 AM »

Has my perspective changed of late, or have we all turned in to a pack of whinging, arrogant twits??

Is your name Kevin Foley too ?   ;-)

It was like this in the beginning. If anything, it was worse then than now. I stopped reading it about a month after the SAFF was opened due to the poor standard of thought & thin skins. Now.... it has its good days & its bad days. The good days mostly outweigh the bad.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »
Do you guys and girls even want this site to continue? Serious question.

This site is run at a cost to personal finance and time. If it's not serving the people it was created to help then it will be gone in a blink of an eye.

We have always wanted this site to be self regulating and free from over the top moderation. We saw a site that had a good sense of community and where emergency practitioners of all persuasions could meet online and chat.

If it is not what it should be please let me know and the site will end.

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 04:33:42 PM »
Wipe all the current threads start afresh with the ozfire.org rule of no criticism...that might make this site worth visiting, that and/or take a leaf out of cfastream.info 's book ???

Whoevers personal expense this site is might be saved if u host it on something like pro boards....which is free.....

Just forward safirefighter.com to the address of the new forum or if you don't want to spare that expense set up a dynamic DNS account and web hop that to the forum..... It would be nice to start over, mostly this site consists of overdone criticism..I don't exempt my self from making that criticism...but every so often some wonderfully true things are said and they make the site bearable... This may well be time to kill this thing off I've talked to fellow volunteers about it and indeed it has been referred to as h.ell on the internet..... :(
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:56:42 PM by Crownie24 »

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »
Easy.

Dont allow people to hide behind alias names.  Everyone must display their real name, service & brigade.

Have a strike system where people get three warnings and then are booted from the site.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
That might work but it doesn't make up for all the dumb things that have been said all ready....maybe...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:15:45 PM »
Fire frog despite some bad stuff on the whole I've personally gain some very valuable information so I guess one of the stated aims has been achieved.
I think its worthwhile keep up the good work!
Ken Fowler Berri State Emergency Service
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »
I swear I had already replied to this topic recently... oh well take two:

We have always wanted this site to be self regulating and free from over the top moderation.

Mate, no offense, but we can't say He11 here without it being filtered... If thats not over the top I don't know what is.

As far as introducing a Ozfire type, zero criticism policy, I strongly disagree. There are times and matters on which we can all have differing opinions and there are times when occurrences should be criticized or a "Why did this happen" is warranted.

Otherwise we end up living in a small disillusioned world, where we think the way we do things is the best.

As far as having a requirement for name/service/brigade, I can't say I agree but at the same time, it would make for interesting discussion...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:03 PM »
I swear I had already replied to this topic recently... oh well take two:

We have always wanted this site to be self regulating and free from over the top moderation.

Mate, no offense, but we can't say He11 here without it being filtered... If thats not over the top I don't know what is.

As far as introducing a Ozfire type, zero criticism policy, I strongly disagree. There are times and matters on which we can all have differing opinions and there are times when occurrences should be criticized or a "Why did this happen" is warranted.

Otherwise we end up living in a small disillusioned world, where we think the way we do things is the best.

As far as having a requirement for name/service/brigade, I can't say I agree but at the same time, it would make for interesting discussion...

Just so you know the swearing filter is not a moderation attempt. It is designed wholly and solely to ensure a safe internet site for kids and all types of people. The no swearing rule is to enhance simple courtesy.
You could liken it to going out with family, you choose not to swear because there are young people around or your mum/wife whoever.
Same applies here, you don't know the age or sensibilities of people who read so don't swear.

It's not difficult to understand is it?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 10:08:16 PM »

The filter is fine, that was not my point. It was the extent of the filter.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 11:40:47 PM »
Lets not kid ourselves , every service sometime or another needs a reality check , so when and if your turn is up ,deal with it. A full and frank discussion  between commited people can only be a good thing , it helps to dispell untruths and rumours , we can all improve our service providing we use this site as a tool for self/service  evaluation , I have and Im excellent!!!!! :-D

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 11:43:14 PM »
 :-D hear hear!

Offline Jono

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2008, 12:39:48 AM »

(I know, don't mention my attitude to Seafood)

Whats the pun behind seafood, apart from actually sounding the same?? Is there any intelligent meaning to it or is it just the best you could come up with......
Jono
Snr 2
Seaford CFS (Mawson Group)

BLEVE

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2008, 06:59:53 AM »
I reckon it's from your regular station radio operator (if she's still there) when she says seaford it's sounds a bit like seafood. Well it does to me anyhow :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

The filter is fine, that was not my point. It was the extent of the filter.

Lines in sand hard to draw one :-P

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 11:10:02 AM »
I now log on to cfastream more regularly than I check on here, and I don't even live in or like Victoria. It's just that the discussion on there is much more mature and doesn't always descend into a slinging match like it does on here. They also discuss far more interesting fire fighting topics and there is a lot more people on there, you don't only get the same 10 opinions on everything.

I agree that for sensible discussion to occur you need to identify who you are, there is a lot of hiding behind aliases on here that means people can say whatever they like without any retribution.

If that fails you can always go back to the SACFS Yahoogroup  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/SACFS/  that was started years ago and has over 400 members on it, it is still going and actually has some reasonable discussion on it occasionally.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »
I agree with Matt & Camo people need to stop hiding behind aliases, if people not using there real names believe there opinions and criticisms are so correct and valid then they shouldn't be afraid to show there true name.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 11:55:03 AM »
okay so who are you then jasec and what bridade? I already know who compoo is and I think everyone know's whose brigade you belong to I'm Katrina at Wattle Range
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 02:00:29 PM »
im jason carroll from f-ing hot today roxby, the only reason i put jasec is because thats what everyones calls me, there was also a topic about everyone introducing themselves, i think it was called introductions???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 02:11:31 PM by jasec »
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
Im jason carroll from f-ing hot today Roxby, the only reason I put jasec is because thats what everyones calls me, there was also a topic about everyone introducing themselves, I think it was called introductions???

DAMN HOT REAL HOT :-o
Images are copyright

Offline Crownie24

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
Is it possible to lock all the threads out to people who don't have a login?

anything