Author Topic: Adelaide airport  (Read 72005 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Adelaide airport
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Let's say that at fully laden 737-800 crashed on landing at AL. now that is ~160 people. the reality is that most of those people would probably die if there was any fire (i have heard that there is about 2.5 min to get out of a burning plane).

now if there was a fire would the Airservices Australia crews be able to handle it? or would  there be a huge drain on MFS resources? and what are the "Mutual aid" agreements in place?

not really a hypothetical i know but seems to fit here

Offline scrawns1

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide airport
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 02:15:44 PM »
Having done work experience there in the past, they have the equipment to tackle that sort of fire. So yes they could handle it in the beginning. But being that no. of passengers they will always need MFS, CFS, SES, SAAS, & SAPOL. There are plans in place to facilitate a response for this type of incident, someone on here could answer it better but you get the idea. MFS response will probably depleat appliances in the metro area but what can you do for this type of incident with that number of passengers.  :-)
Shane
SES Sturt Unit

uniden

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »
There is an agreement for MFS appliances to support Airport fire service as required. Sometimes MFS have been responded into the airport when aircraft have been coming in to land in trouble.
The type of drain on MFS at any given time would depend on how many appliances were required at the airport for a start. Obviously it would also depend on any operational commitments the MFS were serving at the time. CFS mutual aid would come into play if required as it has done in the past on many occasions.
Mitcham shopping centre was probably the last time there was a major involvement of CFS into MFS stations. But there have been other prolonged jobs like the ship fires during the 80s and 90s.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 05:21:06 PM »
I would imagine you would see ARFF appliances combating the fire, with SAMFS appliances using either relay pumping, or a pit-stop water relay system to keep the ARFF appliances kicking along.

Perhaps also the use of SAMFS aerial appliances where necessary.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 09:35:07 AM »
given that the airport appliances have enough water to get a foam blanket down and that's about it....SAMFS is definitely used.

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 10:13:45 AM »
If we look around this country you will find that airport fire service's will always be supported by the fire brigade,ambulance service and the police you will also find that all Airports are required to do a large scale exercise with all local emergency service's so as to keep up their skills but also to provide updated information on,water points,bulk foam,triage and so on...I am sure that their are members on this site who know more than i do about the set up at the Airport and may be able to provide more information.You will also find that in the event of a problem at Adelaide or any other airport local hospitals are put on stand by and they put into place their emergency action plan...If and when it does happen this would be come a multi agency job,MFS,SES,CFS,SAAS and coast guard..

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:51:57 AM »
cool thanks I alway assumed that it would involve everone and if anyone does know of the response plans in adelaide i would like to have a look .

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »
cool thanks I alway assumed that it would involve everone and if anyone does know of the response plans in adelaide i would like to have a look .

The response plans are not for public access they and the regular meeting minutes are restricted documents as the information they contain could become security risks if used the wrong way.  Sorry they are not accessible in the public library system !

Oldone.
SES Communications trainer

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
i guess that makes sense

Offline NicholasBerry

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Another major consideration should be that Adelaide is a fairly busy airport, there would be other planes about that may need to land that cannot reach another airport.

anything