Author Topic: CFB Book Release  (Read 8110 times)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFB Book Release
« on: July 01, 2005, 10:05:51 AM »
Some of you would have read about (previous Volunteer Mags) or been fortunate to meet Station Office Shan Rafell from Queenslands Fire and Rescue Service during one of his visits to Brukunga to instruct in and use the CFS CFB Live Fire Training facilities.

Shan with SO John Mc Donough (NSWFB) and two overseas CFB experts (Paul Grimwood, London Fire Brigade and Ed Hartin, USA) have just released their new book on 3D Fire Fighting, Training, Techniques and Tactics.

To view Shan website - extremely interesting and definitely worth the time goto: http://www.uq.net.au/~zzsraffe/

I have ordered the book and will give you a review in a week or three when I have read it.  Reading some of the initial papers, that were going into the book, it should be an excellent read and yet a further eye opener into what we do, the dangers of it and how little we really know when it comes to fire fighting and ultimately inspiration to learn more.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CFB Book Release
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 05:00:51 PM »
It has arrived.

In the quick look I've had, very impressive - will give a full run down later on!

CFS is acknowledged for the work we have done on CFBT, our set up and also in the deliver of CBF training within Australia. CFS gets some good photos and also a video section within one of the burn cells.

Will let you know more when I have read it properly.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 04:01:06 PM »
SENSATIONAL READ!!!!!!!

Definately worth the time!

It's great to see Australia and CFS get a mention in an internationally produced book.

They also stress continually - The danger of trialing any CFB technigquies without training and trying to replicate what trained instructors have shown.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 05:27:31 PM »
What ideas does the book bring up? Are there any new tactics the CFS might look at adopting? and why is it called "3D Firefighting"?

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
The book is an additional training and information tool, that compliments what CFS does now in training for people to understand Compartment Fire Behaviour and alike.

3d fire fighting is a technique - capturing a number of facits of the techniques used in Compartment Fire Training - i.e. dealing with all the areas of the fire - the origin, the by products, the surrounds and not just focusing on putting the wet stuff on the red stuff, also creating a flame trap, that captures the flame behind a fog curtain,

For a good fread goto: http://www.firetactics.com you wont regret it - but ensure you have a spare 10 + hours, thers alot there