Author Topic: URP Problems  (Read 5807 times)

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
URP Problems
« on: March 11, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
 Not sure how many people on here have had much exposure to the URP (Urban Rural Pumper) but ours seems to always have something go wrong with it, we have had to fix the Aux pump twice, the PTO throttle wont pop out once engaged, last week the truck wouldn't start due to what seemed a flat battery but the truck charger is fine, battery is fine and it is charging when running ok and a heap of other little things that dont affect the truck being used ie pump lights etc.

Has anyone with this truck had similar problems and have they experienced other problems.

Its a long turn around for us to send the truck away for repairs so if any one has any suggestions to quick fixes or things to look for when doing truck / equipment checks.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline qujibo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: URP Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »
Don't worry, you're not alone.  The URP in my old brigade had something wrong with it 90 percent of the time.  Primer and foam pump we had issues with a lot.  The siren packed up. Aux pump blew it's seals at one stage.  Numerous electrical issues.  It's a great idea for a appliance but it just needs all the problems sorted out properly.  We never used ours as as a grassfire unit because the aux pump wasn't powerfull enough.  Was a good pumper though and great for MVA's.  Also took 30min to get up to 100km/h on the highway.  As I said, great idea for an appliance, just too many problems that need sorting out.

Wayne Klitscher
Ardrossan CFS.

Offline David

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • David
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:54:43 AM »
The URP in my previous brigade had also blown the seals 3 times, twice at training and once when we were told it was all fixed so we took it out to see if it was  :evil: it wasn't :-D.  In the end the Aux pump was simply removed as the appliance never went to grass fires etc anyway.

I believe the problem lay within the plumbing.  The PTO pump can put out a much greater pressure than the Aux pump is designed to take, however they put the Aux pump in line between the PTO pump and the discharge.  If this is the case I would have thought some way of isolating the Aux pump would have been better.

Feel free to correct me on this, my info is third or fourth hand.
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline qujibo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 12:03:08 PM »
When this happened to our aux pump, we had pressure relief valves put into the system between the pumps so it wouldn't happen again.  Seemed to fix the problem.  Haven't had any issues in that respect again.

Wayne Klitscher
Ardrossan CFS

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 08:07:42 PM »
We have had the same pressure relief valve put into our Aux pump, hasn't had any dramas since (touch wood), it sounds as if the electrical / pto problems are standard with the URPs. I wouldn't be so bad if we were close to the metro area, but the closest form of civilisation is 2.5hrs away so its a pain in the back side when something goes wrong. As for the highway don't get me started had to drive the thing 180 kms to a job in Glendambo and into a headwind 85kms the whole way. Cheers for the feedback.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

rescue5271

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:27 AM »
Wayne,your old URP is still having problems and always will till they are removed from service or someone is willing to open a bag full of money...

Offline qujibo

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 06:58:31 AM »
I wonder if the others in the fleet are having similar issues?  One at Waikerie and one at bridgewater, not sure if there are any more around the place?

Wayne Klitscher
Ardrossan CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 09:15:59 AM »
I believe bridgewater has had problems with the aux pump not sure what though

Offline David

• David
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 03:55:35 PM »
The bridgewater one affectionally known as BURP was the one I was referring to in my previous post, just didn't want to mention brigades as I didn't know how widely known the info was.
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

Offline Sam

• View Profile
    • Scanning South Australia
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 03:59:56 PM »
Bordertown, Waikerie Nuriootpa.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 05:26:10 PM »
Coromandel Valley 24P also i believe would have these similar Aux pump problems.

uniden

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
Coro Valley appliance was built by Australian Fire Co. WHile the URP were bui;t by Mills Tui, so different builds.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 05:40:21 PM »
essentially the same design tho right?

anything