Author Topic: You'll Pay, Black Tuesday Victims To Sue CFS  (Read 20977 times)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
Re: You'll Pay, Black Tuesday Victims To Sue CFS
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 05:01:47 PM »
Just a note of support for the vollies on the Eyre Peninsula who are facing some rough times at the moment. From some accounts they are bearing the brunt of community discontent as well as sharing the losses.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 03:10:31 PM »
Less Service/Protection = MFS Take over = End of CFS

Thats one thing the goverment could not afford.  :-D

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 04:14:15 PM »
I understand fully the pain in which Eyre Peninsula residents have suffered because of the Black Tuesday fires that claimed 9 lives but suing the CFS over this fire should have never came about

Before the EP residents decided to sue the SACFS over this tragic fire what should have taken into consideration that they (the Eyre Peninsula residents)might not have been adequately prepared themselves for dangerous bushfire weather ahead on that Tuesday when the fire sprung up

Even though the fire itself was unstoppable good preparation and no fleeing by house owners/residents would have saved many houses from being gutted and burnt to the ground

I think its 50/50 blame factor
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005, 04:15:54 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 12:12:22 PM »
I was involved on Black Tuesday.

I respect that people have the right to spend their money on expensive lawyers for potentially no result..and run the risk of being counter sued by the govt for expenses but perhaps they should spend the time looking at why they want to lay blame..

Maybe it's because they can't resolve their own guilt of what they did or didn't do over the 2 days??

There is more misinformation than fact being presented in the media and most that are speaking out are talking fiction...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »
I agree CaptCom because you seen the horror/nightmare of Black Tuesday being on the frontline when it ripped through Eyre Peninsula showing no mercy in January this year

But still i think that those people who were taken tragically by the fire could have saved their lives by having a bushfire action plan like many South Australian families have

Then again you're right about the misinformation factor that happened during and after the Black Tuesday fires...like i said in my earlier post the fire was very much unstoppable because of the fire weather factor on that particular day
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 01:19:18 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2005, 02:19:10 PM »
You have it completely Robert34..it was a filthy day..and any fire of any size burning on that day..probably would have resulted in the same outcome..

Unfortunately, you are also right about Bushfire Prevention Plans...8 of those tragically taken were in vehicles..many more were miraculously spared as they fled...instead of staying in their homes..we need more effective education.

It is also difficult to understand the hypocrisy associated with current volunteers looking to sue the organisation that they belong to ..and some claim to love being a part of..that sticks in my throat!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2005, 03:59:50 PM »
It is a sad cultural trend to need to blame someone or something when things go wrong.

I think Captcom is spot on with the theory that people are trying to deal with their own guilt feelings.

Try to keep your heads high as CFS and Community members! I sincerely hope (no evidence?) that the service is working tirelessly to support the vollies of the EP.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2005, 09:26:02 AM »
Kat, through all of the hard times, one thing that has remained constant is the support from CFS and VFBA from the top down.

I have personally had many calls and visits from Euan and Wendy, as well as the Regional staff being available at all times...and then there is the incredible SPAM team..without all this support..I think many vollies would have resigned...there is tougher times to come though but all have re-inforced their commitment to get everyone through.

There are 52 names on the witness list...most would be vollies..unfortunately, mine is one of them...you can all hope that you never have to have the experience.

Wagon 1

« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2005, 05:42:46 PM »
Ask yourself why these vollys are wanting to sue the CFS. What went so terribly wrong that makes them want to do this. I think there is more to this than us outsiders see.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2005, 05:43:50 PM »
I'm very much hoping that the Lower South East doesn't get attacked by a
Black Tuesday style wildfire this coming fire season... however should a fire like Black Tuesday occur in the LSE lessons learned from Ash Wednesday & Eyre Peninsula will help South East fire crews avert another tragic bushfire from happening
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2005, 08:18:22 PM »
Glad to hear the organisation is there for you :-)

I don't think many of us really understand how horrendous it must be living and working in your community at the moment.

Stay strong.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2005, 09:10:45 AM »
Ask yourself why these vollys are wanting to sue the CFS. What went so terribly wrong that makes them want to do this. I think there is more to this than us outsiders see.

David,

We ask ourselves often why they are seeking compensation..I believe as I have said previously, it is linked to their own guilt about what they did or DIDN'T do themselves on the day...I don't believe that they have been really informed of what could happen..I know that the insurance companies will be asking for their money back IF they ever won it...you may also find that some of them aren't insured and are using it as an avenue to generate money...

the bloke leading the group wasn't even here on the day..he was holidaying in QLD..so how is he in a position to comment??

Wagon 1

« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2005, 05:30:18 PM »
the bloke leading the group wasn't even here on the day..he was holidaying in QLD..so how is he in a position to comment??

Good point that!!

Offline Del

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2005, 08:19:39 PM »
Does anyone know if there is a regular "Official" update posted on the web of the inquries proceedings.
Del

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 07:58:30 AM »
Del,

The CFS Home page does have some updates but unfortunately, they have to be super careful with what goes on there...they can't be seen to be giving any opinion or slant on the proceedings..otherwise they can be charged...

A strong tip, don't bother relying on the media for any accuracy...their stories tend to have about 1% fact and the rest a fairytale..

rescue5271

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2005, 10:53:18 AM »
I think it is better to wait and see what the coroner says and his full report,remember we are CFS members and what we say in here can and could have ill feelings to such a chat/talk room. What people say on the stand is there own view and we should not take it to heart what is said. Time will heal the wounds and in time the community will learn that we can't be at your house/farm 24/7 over summer.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2005, 11:19:04 AM »
I agree totally...the one thing that everyone could take from the whole experience is to look at their own properties and preparedness..the expectation that we will and can be everywhere is unrealistic.

It's too easy to leave it to CFS and then blame us if we don't deliver (which is RARE!)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 09:52:46 AM »
The prevention message for the past decade - Will you Survive! Are you prepared! Have a bushfire action plan!

Maybe it's a true reflection of the Australian culture - "it won't happen to me" or "she'll be right jack"

Unfortunately look back through time - Ash Wednesday (I & II), NSW (numerous) Victoria and there is a common thread - the fire agencies promote initial self help, they are open and inform that they have limited numbers and resources and that the best method is prevention.

Unfortunately for many in CFS, the community (or sections there of) haven't heeded this information and now are looking for an out!

My thoughs go to the many CFS people who are going through the trying coronial process at the moment and we all trust and hope that the results will benefit all - the community, the public at large and the men and women who volunteer their time to protect their communities.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 11:58:11 AM »
General non specific discussion is welcome here. Please do not discuss specifics of this incident or speculate on the content or outcome of any enquiry.

Discussion can include any information that is public knowledge and is based in fact. Otherwise save it for conversation at the station.

This is to protect you and this site.

Thanks

strikeathird

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 12:45:09 PM »
U mean save it for the shed...

:lol:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 01:35:04 PM »
U mean save it for the shed...

You mean you don't have a multi story, glass doored station complete with swimming pool and gym? :P

strikeathird

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2005, 12:19:29 PM »
Any one read the latest in todays paper...  About what the gentleman in the article claims was said to him by an SES member.. ?

I don't know what was said on the day, I wasn't there, but I find it kind of unbelievable that any member of any agency would say such a thing..... 

For those that may not know what I am referring to, it is on pg 11 of todays paper.

Note: (I am not saying the supposed "unknown" member did or did not say what was claimed in the article, am simply stating a personal opinion, which cannot be endorsed in any public comment/publication).

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2005, 12:41:39 PM »
hahaha... on the other hand did you read what was said in the hills and valley messenger???

qouted "Dale Thompson Sturt CFS Deputy Group Leader"

"dont rely on us" and " dont depend on us: CFS"

just the message we want to send out to the public... especially after one of the worst fire seasons in a while...

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2005, 03:11:53 PM »
I imagine the context would have been, be self sufficent and don't expect a fire truck at your house in a big event. Because CFS nor MFS can guarantee a truck at each home. I'm sure Dale is not saying that CFS is unreliable. But is reminding people that they must take some of the responsibilty and prepare for the fire season.

Didn't read the article though. :-D

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2005, 03:49:54 PM »
i too am sure thats what he meant firefrog... (gramma?) but it sure didnt come across like that...

IMHO; possibly one of the worst things to do just prior to fire season.

edit: will try to find an electronic version of the article

anything