Should Pbi be worn at MVAs

Yes
22 (71%)
No
2 (6.5%)
Yes if it is cold
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: PBi at MVAs  (Read 37558 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: PBi at MVAs
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2008, 04:57:20 PM »
 :roll:
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2008, 05:18:44 PM »
Look just wear it too anything till they make their mind up and then tell each region to do the same............. Bring back nomex level 3 gear.....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2008, 05:23:51 PM »
Look just wear it too anything till they make their mind up and then tell each region to do the same............. Bring back nomex level 3 gear.....

At least it was all one colour then :-P
Images are copyright

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2008, 06:01:27 PM »

by the sound of that bill you have never worn it to any thing!!!
those that have worn it and acctually be active involved in any sort of rescue will understand that it is designed for structure fires and not MVA's(to filtered bulky and too filtered hot)
Those people that are saying im going to wear to evey thing should stop trying to make your self appear eletist by trying to stand out. The people that are wearing yellows are still CFS vollies and you are not better than them because you have a BA ticket and thus PBI gold
Pull your heads in!!!!!!
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »
seriously man get a life. PBI offers a greater level of protection then any other gear the cfs issue, so why not wear it to anything other than rural?  Considering anything other than rural can sometimes include BA?

Its got nothing to do with making ourselves look better than everyone else.  Stop trying to stir scheiße!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2008, 06:51:31 PM »
my group has taken the step of when given new yellows all level 1 liners taken back to stores, so my question is

what kind of protection does that provide when doing a mva rescue and the car catches fire??

Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2008, 07:08:36 PM »

by the sound of that bill you have never worn it to any thing!!!
those that have worn it and acctually be active involved in any sort of rescue will understand that it is designed for structure fires and not MVA's(to filtered bulky and too filtered hot)
Those people that are saying im going to wear to evey thing should stop trying to make your self appear eletist by trying to stand out. The people that are wearing yellows are still CFS vollies and you are not better than them because you have a BA ticket and thus PBI gold
Pull your heads in!!!!!!

This isnt only an SACFS board mate. .Its an SAFIREFIGHTER board (everyone seems to think only CFS members read this)..

I have no choice but to wear PBI at work.. Am I trying to stand out by wearing it? .. I think not.. - I also wear it when being a Vol in CFS land.. Am I trying to stand out then?.. Definately not.. - Im wearing what I believe best protects me, and will allow me to do my job to the best of my ability, if and when the need arises..

Think you need to re-consider your closing statement Fox.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 07:11:38 PM by RescueHazmat »

rescue5271

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2008, 07:11:44 PM »
PBI gold has its place we all just need to agree what jobs should we wear it at...Yes FOX I have woren it while the trial was on and in another service some time ago..But as i said it has its place....

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2008, 10:01:44 AM »
I think it is more along the lines of NOT restricting it's use and giving the user their choice of uniform.

I have won it to jobs and yes i have got hot but so? you expect it drink up, call in more crews to rotate etc.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »
I'm with you there RH will at work ive got no choice but with CFS i do, my PBI during winter gets a run to every job due to the fact we have a 0 rural risk, but summer is a completely different story, its a case of if i really have to due to the 45+ degree days up here.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Gilly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »
Pull your heads in!!!!!!

Why do you care so much?
We got paged for a fence fire the other night... Prob a nomex job in your eyes, and it was actually a car under a carport. So if i'd used your advice, i would have to have undressed my nomex, got changed into my PBI (which you probably wouldn't have had with you, then donned BA. By then the garage would be gone, and possibly half the house it was attached to. you never know what your going to. Unless its a grass fire on a hot day, i wear pbi. And i always take both sets of gear to everything just incase.

pumprescue

« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »
Its just old men attitudes, remember most of the people making the choices for us haven't been BA operators since Overalls were all the fad. Ah well, we all had the same issues when Nomex first came in, "you can't wear it, you can't wear it" Now thats all we wear....give it time, they will get over it. 

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2008, 07:35:58 PM »
Pull your heads in!!!!!!

Why do you care so much?
We got paged for a fence fire the other night... Prob a nomex job in your eyes, and it was actually a car under a carport. So if i'd used your advice, i would have to have undressed my nomex, got changed into my PBI (which you probably wouldn't have had with you, then donned BA. By then the garage would be gone, and possibly half the house it was attached to. you never know what your going to. Unless its a grass fire on a hot day, i wear pbi. And i always take both sets of gear to everything just incase.

i wish it was feasible for everyone to take both sets of gear to every job....unfortunately there isnt much room on most trucks.

But i agree with the PBI to everything other than rural.  Any different and you leave yourself wide open.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2008, 07:43:21 PM »
developing a matching "level 1" style jacket for the PBI gold Pants would be ideal.   One set of pants....and a rural or structure jacket choice when it comes to dressing.

pumprescue

« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2008, 07:52:58 PM »
Don't sound sensible Zippy, it doesn't suit the CFS way of thinking...

uniden

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2008, 08:01:53 PM »

developing a matching "level 1" style jacket for the PBI gold Pants would be ideal.   One set of pants....and a rural or structure jacket choice when it comes to dressing.

You mean like the MFS work shirts??

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »
Don't sound sensible Zippy, it doesn't suit the CFS way of thinking...

:cry: ...sigh time to go to the pub....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:02:36 AM by Zippy »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:14 AM »
uniden, close but i was actually thinking about a PBI gold jacket,  minus the liner and a more level 1 breathable thickness material.

MFS's idea is good, but i dont think it achieves an appropriate level of protection when it comes to a very active wild fire. Anyone with more knowledge in there ppe? fire away.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 08:10:18 AM by Zippy »

Offline scotty

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »
Isn't the answer very simple........wear the PPE that offers the best protection etc as often as possible........therefore wear PBI to everything except rural jobs during summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rainer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2008, 12:29:37 PM »
Gday,

Re: Pbi .. We wear it at work all the time ..great gear !

Our "unofficial" policy is

Full Pbi at Structure/Domestic
Pbi pants and blue nomex top at MVA or if driving
Pbi pants and blue nomex top for tech rescue.

I think the half half method is OK because as you all know if you have a CABA qual. then you should have your Pbi with you at all times and the best way to do this is by wearing the pants and taking two jackets and one helmet with you ..

For bushfire "defensive"wear nomex top pbi pants then when the need arises switch jackets..

have been doing it for years no problems and to date do not know of anyone going down with heat exhaustion of the legs..hehe

May look silly to some but I guess were not out there to look good but to protect ourselves to the best standard available.

Cheers
Rainer

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 01:17:05 AM »
developing a matching "level 1" style jacket for the PBI gold Pants would be ideal.   

I think this is a Bad Idea.
I don't give a rats about 'looking good'.  Or even looking uniform.
It's Protective Equipment, not parade gear.
At least while it looks totally different, a crew leader knows who can do what task at
a glance. As in: "You and you - don & start. You & you - get a charged line & RamFan
to that doorway. You - take an axe & a radio around to that window & ventilate when I
call."
cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »
yeh your right there,  im just seeing it as a method to carry less space consuming gear.   1 Pants,  1 Structure Coat, 1 Rural/Other Coat..while still meeting a Standard of protection.  Just like the good old days.

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
i wish it was feasible for everyone to take both sets of gear to every job

Not everyone has both sets of gear which is what the issue here really is. The majority of people here are saying that they want the choice of wearing their PBI to things that dont require PBI. Why shouldn't everyone have that choice?

Its just old men attitudes, remember most of the people making the choices for us haven't been BA operators since Overalls were all the fad.
Ah well, we all had the same issues when Nomex first came in, "you can't wear it, you can't wear it" Now thats all we wear....give it time, they will get over it.

Whats your point here? I dont think there are any old men saying don't wear PBI when you're doing BA. There are some old men that rightly say you dont HAVE to wear PBI when you're doing BA.

Nomex is worn everywhere now because EVERYONE in the brigade can wear it to everything. At this stage not everyone can wear PBI to everything by the very fact they're not issued with it. Why shouldn't everyone have that choice if as some people claim on here that it provides better protection. Shouldn't everyone have the very best possible protection regardless of the cost? The fact is at some stage there needs to be a decision that any particular bit of equipment is adequate for the function it is intended to provide. Nomex/Proban provides adequate protection for responses to MVA, grass fires, external BA and even internal BA in many instances. So if Nomex/Proban is adequate for MVA's and everyone can wear Nomex/Proban then why shouldn't everyone wear Nomex/Proban? PBI was given to BA trained people for use with BA. If it was intended for anything else it would have been issued to everyone else.

One set of pants....and a rural or structure jacket choice when it comes to dressing.

So what your arguing over here is just a pair of pants? At the moment you have both rural and structural gear its just that they have different sets of pants? Personally I wouldnt want a liner in my rural pants so what we have at the moment is what I want. Two sets of gear with two different functions. I see that as a good thing.

May look silly to some but I guess were not out there to look good but to protect ourselves to the best standard available.

The majority of posts makes some reference to looks in one way or another, and I agree it does look good. But I suspect peoples passion for the uniform and being able to wear it to everything has more to do with wanting to look like a beefcake MFS firefighter and less like a scrawny hick than for functional requirements. If it was about the functional performance of this uniform at "non rural" incidents then people should be jumping up and down about why doesn't EVERY fire fighter have it! But the people with the uniform are more fixated on their own looks rather than the safety of other members.

pumprescue

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2008, 03:49:32 PM »
Erm no, I am more worried about getting caught out, are you saying that having 2 jackets and one set of pants and 1 helmet isn't easier than 2 full sets of PPE, 2 helmets. I reckon I can hang the extra jacket over the jesus bar in the crew cab, beats trying to find room for a whole set of gear and another helmet.

By the way, I think PBI looks like scheiße.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »
HF14....i agree PBI should be issued to everyone if it provides better protection.

But in most cases i believe its worn so we dont get caught out.  In winter, how often do you attend a rural job?  So wearing PBI to everything, especially in winter minimises those chances of getting caught out.  Its not practical to carry both sets of gear on the trucks.  It creates many issues.

In hind sight the CFS should of created a uniform that was universal across the board.  I.e Nomex but stuff that met the Australian Standard.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)