Author Topic: Metal items in pockets  (Read 11230 times)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:16:08 PM »
I find it more than ammusing that the people that are issued with PBI Gold carry around metal objects in their pockets. Being that they heat up when put into a fire like any other metal object!!!!!!!!!!
Now it has been a few years since my last BA reacred but im sure that we were told to remove all ojects on our person that were metal due to the exact reason mentioned above. Now for any of you that have been in a smoke/hot house for  training and any of you that have acctually taken the brave steps into a burnig building that the later is far hotter that a smoke house. Dont you think that carring metal objects in your pockets is kind of silly  :|
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:53:37 PM »
Well I currently don't carry any metal objects however i do wonder when you read some American forums and they seem to carry an entire tool box in their pockets how they manage.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 11:04:57 PM »
2 sets of gloves. One in each set.

-Agree with you Mr. Molder Re: Metal objects. (But I think its Mulder?..- Well, thats how its spelt if your referring to the X-Files.. - The truth is out there)  - One thing though, I try to put the fire out well before any metal would be able to heat up.. - However your point stands true for anyone involved internally for a prolonged period of time..

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:20:55 AM »
If you are in the building that long that the metal is heating up in your pockets you have some big problems. I carry a pocket knife, that has a pair of wire cutters. I have heard stories of firefighters getting caught up in fishing wire, very hard to detect.

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 01:15:23 PM »
From some of the last replies it says to me that you have not been directly involved in to many structure fires. It also says to me that you regard radiant heat as a non life threatining propersition. Your regard for OHW&S leaves a lot to be desired and  i hope for your sake and the sake of other members in your brigade that your recklesness does not get you burnt
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Metal items in pockets
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 02:19:55 PM »
I find it more than ammusing that the people that are issued with PBI Gold carry around metal objects in their pockets. Being that they heat up when put into a fire like any other metal object!!!!!!!!!!

As opposed to the exposed metal object I strap to my back?

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Metal items in pockets
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 03:50:56 PM »
LOL Hicksflat
I must resign straight away for putting myself and my BA partner in danger for carrying my 8.2cm, 190 grams, Stainless steel with anodized aluminum scales Leatherman in my pocket.
Last time I checked it sits in the bottom of my pocket, which does not touch the side of my hip. If my Leatherman did heat up, I must be in big trouble.
But it is in my pocket just in case I need it to cut some wire.
Fox does that mean that your fire service has no regard for your OHW&S, because you have been using BA's with metal plates for years.
recklessness, no just trying to look after myself with a small knife, just in case something basic goes wrong like getting tangled up.
Yes it happens, fishing wire is very hard to detect.

Offline Red Message

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 06:18:17 PM »
I can happily tell you that my pockets are full of both metal and plastic items that can heat up and melt. Good grief!

Knives, Multitools, Shove Knives, Screwdrivers, in fact, after some jobs, my pockets glow red hot.

In all seriousness, by the time metal has heated up and you can feel it through your turnout coat... I'd think that you'd have far more to worry about than having a hot pocket.
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:26:33 PM »
I like to keep marshmellows in there for those times i feeling peckish.  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 07:03:59 PM »
intersesting responses so far. Having been in structure fires and lpg fires i know that the matal objects in pockets/BA sets indeed stay hot for some time after you exit the building that is why the CFS stress that you remove metal items from your person that would heat and retain heat. Interesting
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 07:12:53 PM »
Fox, as I suggested in my last post, unless you are involved for a seriously prolonged period of time, I think you would suffer radiant heat burns yourself before the metal in your pocket heated up to a point where it become at all dangerous..

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 08:11:08 PM »
I'm with you Jason, I'm buying a packet of marshmellows tomorrow just for the same occasion. Never thought of the extra things I could do to make life a bit more easier on myself. Have been known to stir up the fire on the edge to keep warm during some of those lower burn fires when following dozer
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 10:04:57 PM »
i like the marshmallow idea but if they melt in the pockets of my PBi i don't like the idea of having to clean it out. :-D

Gabe, what are shove knives?

Offline Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 10:25:16 AM »
i like the marshmallow idea but if they melt in the pockets of my PBi i don't like the idea of having to clean it out. :-D

Gabe, what are shove knives?

Knives that you shove into people...

Offline Red Message

• View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 04:24:11 PM »
Bittenyakka, shove knives are basically thin strips of metal used for opening mainly 'key in the knob' type locks and slipping window catches. Heaps of them in office's, a few in residential buildings. They are also great for getting out of fire stairs when you lock your self in  :|

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_1177_6_shove_knife/

Rescuehazmat has got it 110%. By the time you can feel heat from metal in your pockets, your in a world of trouble anyhow. As far as sitting around in heat for long enough to have metal items heat up to a dangerous extent, it would have to be reasonably extraordinary situation to be exposed to that much heat for that long. Thats why you ventilate and extinguish the fire!
Stirling CFS
NSWFB 001 Stn.
Firefighter

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 06:00:39 PM »
LPG Fires and Flam liquid fire another example of a heat sorce where it is not so easy to turn off. And again CFS tell you even at training courses to remove all metal objects from your person

Compartment fire course again asked to remove metal objects. Many people have reiceved burns from metal objects after they have left the container. Again example of where you can never be too careful.
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
Compartment fire course again asked to remove metal objects. Many people have reiceved burns from metal objects after they have left the container. Again example of where you can never be too careful.

In the compartment FF course, you deliberately don't put the fire out, so that trainees get a chance to observe how the fire develops, and how hot it gets.  You may notice that they also put reflective wrapping on helmets in that course - because it's not considered normal operation....

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 06:24:22 PM »
are you suggesting that you could never land your self in that situation???
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 06:28:58 PM »
are you suggesting that you could never land your self in that situation???

I'm suggesting that if I did, the metal objects in my pocket would be the least of my worries while my helmet visor is melting to my facemask, and the air I'm breathing is hot enough to cause lung damage :P

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 09:14:38 PM »
Gas cooling reduces the overall temp of the room.  So therefore if you are getting to hot, theoretically gas cooling should temporarily remove that heat.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »

As opposed to the exposed metal object I strap to my back?
I reckon this thread should have ended with this post. Surely the backing plate on a BA would heat up far quicker than something semi-insulated in a PBI jacket pocket?  :wink:
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

anything