Author Topic: MFS at Nuri  (Read 24009 times)

rescue5271

MFS at Nuri
« on: June 12, 2008, 07:45:56 PM »
19:05:22 12-06-08 NTPA: Meeting tonight regarding Nuri CFS. All members required to attend. Regional commander will be addressing members on important issues affecting Nuri Brigade. Nuri Captain. 12/06/2008 7:04:18 PM CFS Nuriootpa Info

MMMM, anyone know anything???

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 10:07:14 PM »
19:05:22 12-06-08 NTPA: Meeting tonight regarding Nuri CFS. All members required to attend. Regional commander will be addressing members on important issues affecting Nuri Brigade. Nuri Captain. 12/06/2008 7:04:18 PM CFS Nuriootpa Info

MMMM, anyone know anything???

Ah yeah it is along those lines, talk is they are going to scrap the two retained stations up there, down size Nuri to rural and build a fulltime Mets station there. This is all just talk at the moment but the talk came from a Nuri member.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:10:03 PM »
interesting, scrap tanunda mfs and which other? the next closest is kapunda which is a fair distance from nuri?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

MFS at Nuri
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:58:50 AM »
Well we will just have to wait and see but from what I have seen CFS a doing a good job and is their really a need for a full time paid service when the crews there have it all covered...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 05:50:30 PM »
Well we will just have to wait and see but from what I have seen CFS a doing a good job and is their really a need for a full time paid service when the crews there have it all covered...

Ahhh but isnt it a community risk assessment with the bottle plant, wineries, large housing development, etc, etc.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 06:46:17 PM »

If the CFS Brigade there cannot guarantee a 24/7 fully manned response, then they don't "Have it all covered" and there is a need for a paid fulltime service.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 07:02:29 PM »

If the CFS Brigade there cannot guarantee a 24/7 fully manned response, then they don't "Have it all covered" and there is a need for a paid fulltime service.

I know what your saying numbers but if you used that line for all brigades MFS would be in every single CFS station.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »
Very true Cammo, Vollie CFS stations Can not guarantee a response 24/7 by definition.

uniden

MFS at Nuri
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »
Pt Augusta, Whyalla, Pt Lincoln, Roxby Downs etc all have much more risk and population than Nuriootpa. So i would be very suprised if MFS suddennly set up shop there.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 10:22:49 PM »
Pt Augusta, Whyalla, Pt Lincoln, Roxby Downs etc all have much more risk and population than Nuriootpa. So i would be very suprised if MFS suddennly set up shop there.
Or even the Mount to go totally full time before that happened?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
MFS at Nuri
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 10:30:18 PM »
Yes but the majority of the high risks in roxby are covered by private fire service so really that brigade only covers the town and backs up the mine crews?

Jasec might be able to prove me wrong however :-)
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

Re: MFS at Nuri
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 01:27:18 AM »
I would think Nuri is one of the strongest CFS brigades out there, perhaps if CFS provided them the equipment to cover the area it would be fine. Maybe, just maybe its not going to be a fulltime station, maybe its going to be a retained station because MFS can provide the appropiate equipment, and don't tell me a type 2 and an URP is proper equipment. They did say no additional retained stations would be established, they didn't say anything about doing swaps? It would have to be the worlds most boring fulltime station, might scrape 150 cals a year together, no thanks.

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:28:41 AM »
Yes but the majority of the high risks in roxby are covered by private fire service so really that brigade only covers the town and backs up the mine crews?

Jasec might be able to prove me wrong however :-)

Yeah there are a few huge risks on site but there protected with that much detection / suppression gear its not funny. We dont have anything out of the ordinary (risk wise) in the township its self not compared to what Nuri has lying around there area and we have work to back up the CFS if needed.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
Well I guess we should wait and see the out come of the meeting and I am sure it wont take long for the information to get on this site,Now here would be a good area to but in paid staff during the day and volunteers all under the one roof like the CFA have in a number of country stations. There could be one full time day crew made up of 4/5 staff and volunteers,but hey this is SA and the union would not like that.... May be MFS should be looking at the new risk's going in around MURRAY BRIDGE with all that housing going in and in other area's where country MFS station's are located.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 01:50:10 PM »
Paid and volunteers in the same station?

Not in our lifetime I think Bill
Images are copyright

Offline jason

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 02:19:41 PM »
Mt Barker will go retained/pay day crew before Nuri… Look at the risks around barker plus the new developments atm.
-1.3m Barker Plaza development, -$1.2m extension to the Mt Barker shopping centre, -$15m Big W/Target complex, -Bunning’s warehouse. -New Bluestone residential development - 835 houses. Barker is one of the nation’s fastest growing inland towns.
Barker will do about 400 calls this financial year… 

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 02:34:37 PM »
There are a number of towns with significant infrastructure which has led to an increase in SFC's for some brigades, and hopefully CFS is addressing those areas for the brigades concerned.
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
Well I guess we should wait and see the out come of the meeting and I am sure it wont take long for the information to get on this site,Now here would be a good area to but in paid staff during the day and volunteers all under the one roof like the CFA have in a number of country stations. There could be one full time day crew made up of 4/5 staff and volunteers,but hey this is SA and the union would not like that.... May be MFS should be looking at the new risk's going in around MURRAY BRIDGE with all that housing going in and in other area's where country MFS station's are located.

The June version of SAFECOM's COMMent newletter has this detailed on page 3, titled 'Corporate Governance'.

Interesting that a recent SAFECOM Board meeting was held in the Barossa & that UFU/MFS have begun the next round of Enterprise bargaining.

The COMMent magazine was emailed on 12th June & all volunteers should be receiving it via your organisations chain of command. Let me know if you need a copy emailed.

But I understand the Act makes it clear it is up to the community what resources they want...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2008, 07:58:50 AM »

I know what your saying numbers but if you used that line for all brigades MFS would be in every single CFS station.

And there is an issue with that how? Isn't that the ideal? I know that I want my family to be protected no matter what time of day or day of the year. I'm not having a go at the vollies, just saying that you would have to be mentally deficient to say that of the two types of service to be protecting you and your family you would willingly choose a volunteer one. This is ofcourse the ideal for built up areas as it no doubt stupid to suggest that there are 10/14 stations covering every house in the state.

Perhaps I'll ammend that from "Paid full time service" to a "Professional Service" So that it includes both 10/14 and special roster stations.

Once again, please don't get me wrong and think that I am attacking volunteer fire services, I am merely stating a case against those who think that their CFS brigade is the be all and end all of fire protection for their community, and fail to see the benefits of a SAMFS service.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
Hoorah finally some one that is willing to look at the reality. There are numerous stations CFS and SAMFS (prob drag SES in to this too) that need looking at and if the Cheifs and the SAFCOM board acctually sat down and looked at risks in the said communities and surrounding areas then we could prob change the names of certain stations and the colour of the trucks to better suit the community. Because at the end of the day it really doesn't matter who put sthe fire out/drags the dead people out of the cars/rescues the cat from the tree, etc etc as long as it gets done!!!
Time to put pride asise and look at whats best
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
So has there been a problem or issue that the brigade can not get out the door?? Is the community happy with the fire and rescue service that is provided by the cfs in that area?? I dont see a need to put in a 24/7 as someone else said MT GAMBIER needs to go 24/7 first but from what a memberr said to me from that service it will not happen as MFS dont have enough members. Lets just make it clear that if the MFS do  and I say DO take over what will be the effects to the other CFS brigade's in the group who are hazmat/RCR will they still be providing that service for which they have done for a number of years and don the job very well.

On another note the last time I looked THE busy CFS brigade's do a hell of alot of training and upskills unlike some MFS stations.....

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2008, 01:15:25 PM »

And there is an issue with that how? Isn't that the ideal? I know that I want my family to be protected no matter what time of day or day of the year. I'm not having a go at the vollies, just saying that you would have to be mentally deficient to say that of the two types of service to be protecting you and your family you would willingly choose a volunteer one. This is ofcourse the ideal for built up areas as it no doubt stupid to suggest that there are 10/14 stations covering every house in the state.

Perhaps I'll ammend that from "Paid full time service" to a "Professional Service" So that it includes both 10/14 and special roster stations.

Once again, please don't get me wrong and think that I am attacking volunteer fire services, I am merely stating a case against those who think that their CFS brigade is the be all and end all of fire protection for their community, and fail to see the benefits of a SAMFS service.

Sorry you misinterpreted what i meant.  Would be great to have MFS in every station providing 24/7 coverage but be realistic its not financially viable to the state.  I have no problems with MFS and think they do a great job, same with the majority of the CFS stations in this state.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2008, 03:47:32 PM »
Retained is not the solution. Accros the state MFS struggle to get applinances out of the door with retained crews, just as CFS, SES and SAAS do with Volunteer crews.

The issue is not the members - it's the employment situation and people needing to make money to live, which unfortunately effects the services all three ESOs deliver to their communities.

Like it or not, regardles of the service or provision, the only way anyone can ensure a response is to pay people - meaning they are sitting there waiting.

Maybe it's time that the government stopped making surpluses and looked at paid fire fighters and paid rescuers and paid medico's in more areas of the state - even if it's only to cover the day time shortage.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
Maybe it's time that the government stopped making surpluses and looked at paid fire fighters and paid rescuers and paid medico's in more areas of the state - even if it's only to cover the day time shortage.

They could potentially put the volunteer/retained ff's through the employment process and sustain the current skill/experience of the area?

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 11:50:20 PM »

They could potentially put the volunteer/retained ff's through the employment process and sustain the current skill/experience of the area?

HAHAHAHA.....nice one

SAAS can't even staff the cars it has now..let alone putting paidies into rural and remote locations!