Author Topic: Is it time for a re-think?  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it time for a re-think?
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
QLD > either QLD Fire and Rescue Service or SES.

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2008, 05:26:51 PM »
I reckon it's time for review chook when an agency that is designated heavy rescue in a town has two crew turn up to what looks on the pager as a possibly big job, and roll about two minutes after the secondary rescue agency has called a stop to the incident and pass them on the way home. 

This example would seem to suggest that pooling resources may have seen a quicker and more thorough response, but i don't see that happening...

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »
wouldnt be referring to renmark ey footy?
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 02:15:21 PM »
Wasn't actually camo...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
Do you know something Camo? :wink:
I can't possibly comment - however I think pooling of resources is a  great idea!
I think I may have missed read Andrews post to, All states have an umbrella organisation, QLD Fire & Rescue is one branch, SES come under another branch called Disaster management, NSW each organisation is a stand alone (authority?)
Victoria each is an Authority in its own right, with the justice department keeping an eye on rescue - same as the State Rescue Board in NSW (Police have a big interest). WA is like QLD Under the FESA department Fire & Rescue, bush fire brigade on one side, SES under disaster management. WA has a few extra bits which scared the hell out of the volunteers when it first happened, but may make sense in the long run (think SAFECOM Emergency unit :-D ). I saw an interesting thing on Fire 000 last night when I was in Leeton, NSWFB not every one is rescue? And they wear a different colour! And new show called search & rescue (last night was the Victorian Police).
So I'm not sure which is the best way to go - NSW is a mix n match which doesn't make sense, Leeton opened their new complex, over $300,000 in buildings & IT. they had no home previously shared with VRA andkept gear at someones house)Also got issued a new flood boat (they have 3 now) & yet the river is like a creek!  And a new truck! Yet they do storm & Flood, VRA on the other hand have an old wreck of a building & all of their gear is old, yet they are the rescue service & busy! Seems to me that money is being pumped into SES over there to increase their profile. (get rid of VRA?). Where as everything in Victoria seems new, new stations new trucks - both states don't have ESL and nothing close to a department like SAFECOM & both states a heavily into disaster management planning (SESNSW is part of a team looking at the effect of global warming & planning for its likely impacts). RFS have or are building new sheds everywhere as well!
I was surprised just how much the community supports the locals in NSW (NSWFB Leeton can put 2 crews on the road, RSF a full crew plus, SES 17 People and VRA about 8. Not bad for a town which is a bit bigger than Berri!
So I think radical change is required but I'm not sure what, maybe combined teams maybe the way forward.
Anyway cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 06:06:45 PM »
...I think I may have missed read Andrews post to, All states have an umbrella organisation...

Nothing to mis-read...I believe others have been doing comparisons with the way interstate deliver emergency services to the community and I would imagien they will 'pick & choose' the best bits.

But I was unsure how they are actually organised. Thus the question to find out from a 'grass roots & front line perspective'.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 06:45:18 PM »
Nah i know nothing...i just know where footy lives and assumed it was there.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
Andrew who is looking at options? Safecom?
I had a talk to my Commander & my crew on Tuesday night, eventhough it seems harsh & without any consideration there could be some positive points as well.
Once I told my guys & girls some of the reasons & took the emotion/political words out of the debate they too could see the logic.
We discussed four options:
Do nothing & hope nothing will change! :|
Drop some of the responses, like RCR. :-(
Attract more crew - be more proactive and every member is to help recruit & train new people. :-)
Close the doors  :-(
Nothing has been decided but it was agreed that we (as a unit) need to try harder to recruit the right people & some unit members need to change their demeanor for this to happen. It was explained to the group that the Riverland was very fortunate to have the number of resources available, so sooking about things would not help, neither would threats!
And working more closly with our fire friends & other units needs to continue & to grow further, stupid inter unit/service crap will mean the end of the unit, so will doing nothing.
So hopefully all will be well - if only they would change the minimum to two operators then we will be sweet :wink:
cheers
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 08:03:58 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
Chook,

I have sent you an email because all of my comments have been based of what I have seen & heard over the past few years. Nothing confirmed or in writing.

Majority of industries & major organisations have been doing 'benchmarking' of their performance against similar organisations. Thus the comparison at many levels over a few years.

Andrew Mac
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:02:30 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »
No worries mat :wink:
Ken