Poll

Should Fire Pumpers or Appliance be able to bought or owned by private companies?

Yes, But only on private property
7 (25%)
Yes, Its a free country
11 (39.3%)
No, Fire Trucks and Appliances are for the Fire Services only
3 (10.7%)
No, its deceiving for fire trucks to be driven by non fire service personnel
1 (3.6%)
Yes, but with no Red/Blue or sirens.
5 (17.9%)
Not Sure
1 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Fire Trucks/Appliances  (Read 26653 times)

Offline SA- Private- Contractor

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Trucks/Appliances
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2008, 02:47:41 PM »
Withdrawn due to circumstances 190708
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:29 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »
Training for a Conditioned Response

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2008, 02:56:20 PM »
I have had a chat and there is no intent to advertise....Carry on with the great discussion!

It raises some interesting thoughts!

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2008, 03:27:55 PM »
Whats the story with the removed posts?
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »
Not sure Cam - its a pity because it was different to the PBI thing :wink:
And I've only got three days to go & I still haven't had the chance to commandeer a real expensive"toy" (obviously getting the state to pay the mega buck price tag of course!). I was curious how much it would cost to "borrow", some of his gear?
It was a great discussion though - maybe we were being a bit paranoid? Mind you I agree the "tad wary" comment.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2008, 04:15:47 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:36 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2008, 05:32:06 PM »
People are allowed to share what they do and where they do it. The only stipulation is that people are not here for the purpose of soliciting for business purposes.

So you can talk about the stuff you do SAPC. It's so fine!!!!! 8-)

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:46 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2008, 10:05:33 PM »
Yep fair point (asking how much)
Anyway mate nothing was meant to be personal, I think your original offer was great!
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2008, 09:52:33 AM »
So private contractor are you a member of the cfs/mfs?? what is your fire service background if any??? I hate it when people start saying th America they do this and they do that...THIS is OZ.......

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2008, 04:13:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:53 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
Brushtruck?  I take it you've spent a good deal of time in the US too?

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2008, 04:21:18 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:06:59 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »
SAPC - SA disaster rescue techniques are the same as the rest of SES in Australia & come from England not the US. RCR techniques are from Europe mainly Germany, because thats who makes our gear! The US is not the be all end all of emergency services, same as the Fire services are not the only emergency service in this country! In fact the US thinks they invented USAR however the Brits were doing it in 1940, it was only the US who stuff it all up & wouldn't adapt to the rest of the world so we had to change to suit them!
If you are interested check out any of the SES rescue training in the  country or the NZ civil defence.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2008, 05:16:44 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:07:05 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2008, 06:45:25 PM »
Thats ok mate you are not the only one who has a narrow view on what rescue actually is!
Confine space is a no brainer if you are trained & have the correct equipment
Industrial rescue from heights normally involves proprietry equipment which from personal experience is sold by the training provider or an associated company.
In our service we have the gear that can tackle most heights rescue requirements & have people who are passionate about it & practice it regularly. Nothing the Americans do is a surprise to us - we have people who study different techniques from all over the world, in different areas of expertise & from that distile out the crap, use whats good for us & teach our people.
And for a service that provide all forms of rescue across the state 24 hours a day 7 days a week & only cost $12 milion a year thats not to bad a deal at all! I'm sure you couldn't provide the same level of expertise & coverage across the state for less.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2008, 06:49:25 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:07:16 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »
Bill... you need to realise we use most practise the US does... all the fire servicing and maintenance and install is copied off US. All fire truck Pumps are copies of US systems... all rescue strategy are copied off US

With the name private contractor and saying im not in service 6 times you might get the idea im not... funny about that ey.

I don't have BFF or MFS or Service training cause for the majoirty of the stuff i do and the company i work for does... those same practises will leave someone dead...

I have conducted rescues above 100m... pratice and for real. Am BA qualified instructor, hazmat qualified, confined space qualified, EMS vehicle qualified through transport sa, transport NSW, transport QLD.

I have done a cadetship in training... cert 4. Work for RTO. I have been doing this stuff since i was in my late teens.

I have been taught by ex sas, ex star, and ex MFS training officers. I am fully trained in the use of pumper, tanker, brushtruck and arials.

I will aknowledge i don't know filtered all about wildifre, CRC, chainsaw use but i have been working with fire engineers for 15years and they have taught me structural fire fighting to same if not above MFS...

Hope that enough for you mate.

Not knowing much of your background  :-) it is clear you are not familiar with Aus fire services. Most of our strategies and tactics have nothing in common with the US way of doing things at all, not even close. If I am forced to make a comparison we are much more like European fire services.

It is interesting to me that you are claiming vast experience and ability to train people better than fire services, but if you have not worked in fire services how would you know? Not an attack a genuine question.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
No mate 12 million & thats it! we are the cheapest provider of emergency services in the state & if it wasn't for stupid government requirements we could get rid of all paid staff (sorry paid staff)& cost even less (just like VRA in NSW).
So while you are tucked up in your nice warm houses there are crews out working now for nothing other than the satisfaction of serving their community.
It might surprise you but even the mighty America has volunteer emergency first reponders - infact one of the top RCR squads is a volunteer team from Charlettsville :-D
What you are hinting in your posts is an insult to all of the volunteer & retained professionals across the country!
It might surprise you that a survey a few years ago showed that over half the volunteers were out of pocket because of their service.
And so are their employer's, and yet if we were to use your equipment your company would make a tidy profit!
So pls accept that in this great country the provision of emergency services will be mostly done by professional volunteers, abley assisted by paid professional government employee's proudly serving their respective communities.
As some one said "this is Australia not America".
cheers
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:01:18 PM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

rescue5271

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2008, 07:51:52 PM »
Unlike god bless filtered America we dont kill our firefighter's in the way they do and I agree 100% with what ken is saying ....

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2008, 07:59:48 PM »
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:07:27 PM by SA- Private- Contractor »

rescue5271

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2008, 08:07:26 PM »
I wounder how your boss in QLD would feel if he was to know how you are attacking the SA EMERGENCY SERVICES??? I bet someone higher up the chain of command may have already called or emailed them....

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »
eh?  firefrog...can we lock a couple of threads before they turn into filtered fights.

I with Bill on this one,   Fighting fires like americans while it can often be more effective....is only gonna lead to firefighter deaths.....ONE is too many.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 08:25:58 PM by Zippy »

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »
eh?  firefrog...can we lock a couple of threads before they turn into filtered fights.

I with Bill on this one,   Fighting fires like americans while it can often be more effective....is only gonna lead to firefighter deaths.....ONE is too many.

Ridiculous comment Zippy.

You can't make comparisons, its that simple. We have been down this track before. LODD stats and call stats have been produced and it is not statistically viable to say one has more deaths because of "Reason A" over "Reason B".

I have ridden in America with Fire Departments, and tactics, training, the types of fires and number of calls are totally different to ours.

The only thing I agree with, is one death in ANY matter, is too many.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »
Ridiculous comment Zippy.

You can't make comparisons, its that simple. We have been down this track before. LODD stats and call stats have been produced and it is not statistically viable to say one has more deaths because of "Reason A" over "Reason B".

I have ridden in America with Fire Departments, and tactics, training, the types of fires and number of calls are totally different to ours.

yeh true...ill take your word on that.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2008, 10:55:32 PM »
Sorry, didn't want to offend at all so don't take it that way.. But everyone is quick to bash the Yanks for the higher LODD rate.. But at the end of the day, its a dangerous job. Take the huge increase in population, with the staggering amount of calls they go to every year, and the huge number of both Career and Vol fire departments around the place, and unfortunately the LODD's are going to be more than we have in AUS.