Author Topic: BA Course  (Read 14385 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
BA Course
« on: July 17, 2008, 08:14:35 AM »
When did they stop giving pre-course assignments to people doing their initial BA course? Or has something been left out of the envelope?

Just seemed a bit odd.....

Cheers

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BA Course
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »
There was no Pre-course assignment for my course, and that was last year.

Perhaps woulda been a change around the 2006/2007 year?

What did the pre-course assignment cover,  was it entirely necessary to have it?   i found it a pretty jam packed for a weekend.  I found Hazmat to be much more interesting tho.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 09:52:39 AM by Zippy »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 10:27:11 AM »
The pre-course assignment and medical were previously due before you arrived at the course.

It covered the principles and safety aspect of wearing CABA and also your retained knowledge of how the body produces and expels carbon dioxide,breathing rates,working on demand etc.

From CFS website

For Members seeking their Medical Clearance for the first time as a CABA Wearer or for subsequent refresher re-accreditation.

The attached medical is provided to assist CFS volunteers who have received confirmation of their successful nomination to attend an ‘Operate Breathing Apparatus Open Circuit’ initial training course or a ‘CABA Operator refresher’ course.
Please note that an OBAOC / CABA Medical Form and all course information will be sent to successfully nominated volunteers 4-6 weeks prior to the scheduled course start date.
Volunteers who have not received a course package within the specified time frame from the CFS State Training Centre should contact their Regional Training Officer or the OBAOC Project Manager to gain approval for a Medical Examination to occur.
Please note that the medical is valid for 6 months from the date of examination and must still be valid at the commencement of the scheduled course.

For current CABA Operators reaching the age criteria of 45 years and above.

This form is also to be used by current CABA accredited volunteers who require periodical medicals to maintain compliance with the CFS medical requirements for CABA operators. Please contact your Regional Training Officer for a copy.
Images are copyright

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 10:36:10 AM »
The pre-course assignment and medical were previously due before you arrived at the course.

It covered the principles and safety aspect of wearing CABA and also your retained knowledge of how the body produces and expels carbon dioxide,breathing rates,working on demand etc.

Thats what i remembered.....
They got everything else. The assignments are a good way of forcing people to read at least part of the book before the course.
Ah well... not to worry then.

Cheers :)

ltdan

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
An inital CABA course has never had a pre-course assignment only a medical.

A CABA re-acc has had a precourse assignment and medical.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »

Would you like to put money on that! :evil:
Images are copyright

ltdan

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
Let me re-phrase my words since 1990 CFS has not had a pre-course assignment on a CABA course.

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »

Would you like to put money on that! :evil:
Let me re-phrase my words since 1990 CFS has not had a pre-course assignment on a CABA course.

I WOULD HATE TO BE YOU IF YOU ARE PUTTING MONEY ON THAT!!!!!!

I did my inital CABA course back in 2005 i think it was (had a sleep since then)
and i HAD a pro course assignment and i remember sitting at work doing night shift doing it!

Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

ltdan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
not on an inital phill

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Well i did my BA course in 2007 and there was no Pre course anything. (mind you i rang up on the Thursday asking if there was any cancellations.)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 10:56:19 PM »
Same, to mine in 2007, no pre-course assignment...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »
I was pretty sure that my BA had a pre-course, but I may be getting that confused with HAZMAT/CFBT
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 08:05:43 AM »
Either way, I think the Pre-course assignments were a good thing.
We now have another operator. Murphys law - they have missed every call requiring BA since completing the course!  :roll:  :-)

Since there is no pre-course questions anymore, would people consider it a good thing if participants had to be signed off for procedures (same theory as HAZMAT)?

Offline firey666

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 07:57:51 PM »
I agree, people should be signed off on some pre course skills demonstrations.
the issue then exist as to who is competent to sign off on these.

i have been a Hazmat training officer and seen some of these people who have been signed off but still have no idea, this got that bad that now assessments for dress undress are now included in the Hazmat course.

good idea but how to you ensure it is done properly.

Offline whitecloud

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 11:59:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure I also had a pre course assignment, which was less than 10 years ago.

I know some of the people who have either been called in as a last minute filler, or done a dodgy to get in have been spared the assignment.

They're fairly helpful, and help to establish some knowledge in some otherwise fairly numpty members.

misterteddy

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
The pre-course stuff for INITIAL BA courses people were talking about in 2005 etc was for the Unit- Prevent injury. To pick up all the people who had not done it previously (its now part of BFF1). This (Prevent injury) unit was needed as it is a pre-requisite for the BA course outcome (Operate breathing apparatus open circuit)when the course became nationally recognised (or accredited).