Author Topic: Private transfer ambulances  (Read 26358 times)

Offline Blackfoot

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Re: Private transfer ambulances
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:52 AM »
The Johnnies may think about upgrading their skills base by doing some internationally recognised courses such as PHTLS, ITLS, ATT or ACLS. All are available in South Australia conducted by local providers.

Good luck

misterteddy

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
sadly courses are not the issue.....they are systemic and organisational issues

You wouldnt happen to be a provider of those courses by any chance would you??...lol  :lol:

Offline Blackfoot

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 04:47:59 PM »
As a matter of fact i am an Instructor for those courses as well as an Instructor for a few Australian University paramedic courses as well. Although there are systemic problems with the Johnnies in terms of their Crusaders management system, in terms of their customers and their insurance policies it is a matter of best practice levels of training for their volunteers. If you are marketing a service the customer is always right! Until they learn that very simple lesson they will lose volunteers and events until they are irrelevant in the marketplace. The times they are a changing. (If you can remember the sixties you were nor really there).

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:01 PM »
Blackfoot you think the US system is the only one. They are not the only system in the world and your organisation is not the only one either.

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2011, 05:34:23 PM »
As a matter of fact i am an Instructor for those courses as well as an Instructor for a few Australian University paramedic courses as well. Although there are systemic problems with the Johnnies in terms of their Crusaders management system, in terms of their customers and their insurance policies it is a matter of best practice levels of training for their volunteers. If you are marketing a service the customer is always right! Until they learn that very simple lesson they will lose volunteers and events until they are irrelevant in the marketplace. The times they are a changing. (If you can remember the sixties you were nor really there).

Hmmm, I beg to differ that the customer is always right.... You and your organisation may have your own business model and be happy to supply whatever service for "the right price", but I would rather see us work with the customer to have them better understand their needs and assess how we, as a service provider, can support and service their needs.

Many people ask for a paramedic and ambulance (more often due to ignorance etc) - we are trying to then discuss what it is they want service provision for and how we might be able to support their needs.

I would argue that many events (irrespective of the provider present) over supply resources (human and physical). This might be from a staff / member recruitment / retention perspective or a marketing and PR perspective or not clearly understanding and assessing the level of risk involved and adopting a risk averse methodology to their service provision.

I could give examples of where event organisers have ask for a one thing, but through consultation and discussion, an alternate looking service provision is provided.

Just an update for the motorcycling Australia issue - St John is continuing to liaise with MA and have given some timeframes in which their negotiations and discussions are based on. St John has no intention of suddenly removing its service provision from the MA (SA) events.

It is about working with the association to ensure that its requirements are met at events and that this is especially articulated to the clubs that convene events - as there is a significantly varied perspective and understanding of what is required for what level and type of events.

St John is still happily and continuing to service the Motorcycling Australia events both now and into the near future, however continuing raise the matters spoken about already.

Happy to field any further questions via PM, if there are any concerns.

Cheers
Shane

PS - All service providers have their PROS and CONS and I know enough about the bulk of them to know what their strengths and weaknesses are - I don't for one second believe that St John is the be and end all of event first aid / medical service provision at the present time. That's why I welcome competitors into the marketplace in SA and encourage competition.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:29 AM »
STRAPS - well written and sounds a great idea.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »

It's just seems SJA are doing the right thing.

Blackfoot I think the average person would just ask for Paramedics because they think they are the only people who can provide  care.

All the paramedics, drugs and monitors in the world do very little for an event (except bump up the price of tickets) when really first responders were really only needed.

To quote another website

"A number of services exist to cater for these different levels of coverage required. As part of your event management process, you need to consider which type of service will meet your needs. For example, two volunteer first aiders would be no where near sufficient to cover a professional motor sports event. Equally, a team of six paid doctors and paramedics is definitely overkill for a school sports carnival (and would probably never fit in such an event's budget)."

Most events just need quality solid basic life support. Most presentations will just be minor injuries and illness. Research shows this.

If the event is too high risk state ambulance service should be onsite.

anything