Author Topic: Harnesses for BA masks  (Read 2796 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Harnesses for BA masks
« on: July 19, 2005, 10:00:57 AM »
The CFB BA sets use quite a nice 2 point head harness. What are people thoughts about these harnesses?

Secondly, who supplys them?
Is there anything in the standards saying we shouldnt be using them?

The only problem i could forsee is with the cloth section of the harness still being damp (turning to steam) with quick operator changes.....

On a side issue, do you think we'll ever change to Carbon Fibre Cylinders in the forseeable future (soooo light!)... It reminded me of when we changed from steelies to fibreglass wrapped..... lol

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Harnesses for BA masks
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 10:42:34 AM »
They are great to use, if the cost was low you could have a few spares

strikeathird

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 04:30:44 PM »
There are a couple of CFS brigades out there with Lightweight sets,  I have been told they are of great value!!

As for the masks, had differring opinions on the Skull cap VS Straps, still undecided.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 09:44:50 AM »
Skull caps are great - and available from QUELL/FFE - I believe (check with Barry, Todd or Andrew Bateup, the BA Tech - I believe that they are sabre parts)

As for Carbon Fiber cylinders - almost twice the price of composite (FRP) cylinders, half the weight, but they do require a little more care in their use, storage and filling - hence being thrown around in a locker of a 24 or on the loose fitting BA brackets would be quickly damaged.

Burnside carry them in Hazmat and their operators swear by them - they make a huge difference in a Gas or Splash Suit in any weather - makes conditions a little more bearable!!!!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

strikeathird

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 04:06:36 PM »
You are correct about the price of the L/weight sets, they are expensive....But still, whats $$$ in comparison to safety and making crews more effective.

There are only 2 brigades that I know of having them, burnside, and another down south, and as stated, both swear by there effectiveness, and give them 2 thumbs up !!