Author Topic: Pinnaroo 16  (Read 28339 times)

Offline 029

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Pinnaroo 16
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
Yeah pity they want to mount the pump in he truck well no more cutting people out of cars on muddy roads and in paddocks

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 09:20:29 PM »
Yeah pity they want to mount the pump in he truck well no more cutting people out of cars on muddy roads and in paddocks

huh?

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:40:07 PM »
SES have decided that we should have truck mounted RCR pumps but only have 2wd trucks we are lucky that most roads around here hold up ok in the rain but some roads dont also country roads have paddocks along the sides cars tend to end up out in them if its wet and boggy we cant get out there in the truck.

we have a problem do we a) wait for a 4wd fire appliance with rescue gear on board to come and take over or b) undo the pump and walk in with the gear.

at the moment if its to wet to take the truck in we carry the gear

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 11:30:30 PM »
apparently the canter 14's can take 1000L with some simple mods, then all it needs is a turbo.

Darcyq was talking about Piccadilly 14 ,Summertown 14 and Bridgewater 14, which are all really small and slow but get a whole 1000L into some nice places and have full crew.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:08 AM »
029 Not sure how your pump is setup, but it should be on a slide out tray & you should only have to disconnect the hydraulic hoses.
If SES goes with the Streamline couplings, it will be even easier(only 3 connections).
Plus if you are from Kapunda you do have a 4x4 F250 so you can always chuck the gear in that if you want to (just need spare hoses which you should have anyway).
Sadly we don't live in a perfect world & if the trucks were built specifically for RCR the front compartment would be deep enough to mount the pump with the hose reels bolted to the pump frame, but unfortunately they weren't so you will have to make do.
Anyway take it easy
cheers
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 07:24:52 AM by chook »
Ken
just another retard!

Offline littlejohn

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
SES have decided that we should have truck mounted RCR pumps but only have 2wd trucks we are lucky that most roads around here hold up ok in the rain but some roads dont also country roads have paddocks along the sides cars tend to end up out in them if its wet and boggy we cant get out there in the truck.

A friendly suggestion 029 - try using some punctuation! Fullstops and commas in appropriate places wouldn't go astray mate. Your posts can be a bit of a challenge to read.

Do you get plenty of hose with the mounted pumps? I can see it being handy for most jobs (not having to lug the pump about), but a pain on the odd occasion.

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 07:34:16 AM »
Not trying to get of track,Naracoorte rescue pump for its RCR gear is not mounted and has had to be removed a number of times so as to get closer to the job.The apliances is 2wd only does the job and if they need a 4wd they use a command car...

How many of these new 16 units will there be?? I did see two in the workshop of moore's sometime ago...

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 10:54:58 AM »
chook we dont have and f250 that was taken away so that port pirie was able to use it for the boat. kinda point less when it had problems towing a float but anyway.

we dont have a 4wd that we can put gear in anymore all we have is the landcruiser wagon and we cant put pumps etc in the boot for OHS&W 

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 11:02:50 AM »
Fair point Bill. The fe couldn't tow the float? Well bugger me it must be heavy!
Sorry mate as I'm no longer in service, can't offer any other suggestions - maybe something like the Pinnaroo 16? I know our Rodeo fast response is little bit on the heavy side so a 6x6 would be ideal or a small 4x4 truck like the baby Isuzu (ROSA) but as I said we (SES)won't be getting anything new this year!
And all of the yelling in the world won't change that, so fraid you will just have to work around it.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 11:40:07 AM »
There were at least 2 of the 16 units built for DEH by Moores - Tulka 16 & Tod 16, both based around Pt Lincoln somewhere......

Not sure if there are any plans to build more for either DEH or CFS....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
apparently the canter 14's can take 1000L with some simple mods, then all it needs is a turbo.

Darcyq was talking about Piccadilly 14 ,Summertown 14 and Bridgewater 14, which are all really small and slow but get a whole 1000L into some nice places and have full crew.

yeah I know but I'm saying (as zippy mentioned back near the beginning) the canter style 14 can be a newer and much better (not perfect) appliance than those old ones.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 01:10:20 PM »

yeah I know but I'm saying (as zippy mentioned back near the beginning) the canter style 14 can be a newer and much better (not perfect) appliance than those old ones.

The Dual-Cab Canters would be much better if they followed suit with the MFS ROSA's ;)  You could run it as a Road Crash Appliance well and truely.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 03:19:47 PM »
The Dual-Cab Canters would be much better if they followed suit with the MFS ROSA's ;)  You could run it as a Road Crash Appliance well and truely.

If they are overweight just with the water and pump, how do you expect to fit RCR gear on one?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 04:16:20 PM »
Easy...Either strengthen the Chassis/axle/tray.  Or get a overall stronger chassis that is similar.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:34 AM »
If it was only a Rescue appliancE (RCR), would it be over weight?
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »

If they are overweight just with the water and pump, how do you expect to fit RCR gear on one?

overweight in what sense?  They are overweight for a car licence (but who cares, make them LR) but not over the manufacturer's specs (so I've been told anyway).

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 11:28:14 AM »

overweight in what sense?  They are overweight for a car licence (but who cares, make them LR) but not over the manufacturer's specs (so I've been told anyway).

If that's they case, why do they have so little water?  I thought the reason they only had 850 Litres, (or is it 750?), was because any more would put the truck overweight?

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »
If that's they case, why do they have so little water?  I thought the reason they only had 850 Litres, (or is it 750?), was because any more would put the truck overweight?

cos "they" (whoever that might be) decided to do that rather than replate it as LR
(disclaimer: this is as told to me by those that know more about trucks than me, and is in reference to our canter 14 at least).

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
Sounds fair enough then! :)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 02:57:35 PM »

What? And mount a pair of scissors as RCR gear? It would work if you stripped the 1000L tank and replaced it with stowage space, but no way in hell could you use current 14 as a proper Rescue appliance.

Back to the topic! I'm not 110% sold on the 16 idea. It seems a bit dicky to have dual rear axle on a truck that... short. No wonder it handles like a furniture van.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 10:53:45 AM »

What? And mount a pair of scissors as RCR gear? It would work if you stripped the 1000L tank and replaced it with stowage space, but no way in filtered could you use current 14 as a proper Rescue appliance.

Tea Tree Gully 14 was a prime example of that, I believe they had weight issues combined with the RCR gear

« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:47:56 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 01:04:08 AM »
is it really 6WD or a lazy axle?

Yes it is 6WD :wink: 
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »
the old TTG canter is still sitting up at Moore's was a good little truck and if weight was the issue they should have just removed the pump and water tank.....

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
No need to remove the pump and tank, just leave the rescue gear off and it'll be fine. :wink:
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2008, 09:30:58 PM »
The 5.5T dual cab Canters are no big deal to get re-plated to 6.5T.
Belair 14 (ex Cherry Gdns 14) is one of these.
From (hazy) memory all they need is bigger brakes & an extra leaf in the rear
suspension.
A mob in Qld did the hard yards to set them up as 4WD tour buses.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.