Author Topic: Summer Crew Jobs 2008/2009 Fire Season  (Read 51982 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Summer Crew Jobs 2008/2009 Fire Season
« on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
Ok Ok i know im getting into that habit of posting this topic around the same time every year  :roll:

Anyways seeing as how the year has already gone past us real fast :-o and with the fire season just 3 months away its time to ask that question of which company everyone is going to try and get a summer crew job with this season... seeing as how im posting the topic let me open the floor  :-P

After narrowly missing out on numerous summer crew jobs last season im back at it again this season coming but now have the addition of my full certificate 2 in Conservation And Land Management of which i have almost completed at TAFE SA Mount Gambier campus

The bonus part about the full cert 2 in CLM (Conservation&Land Management)is that one of the units is operate and maintain chainsaws of which is safe to say i've successfully completed having passed the practical on the 03/08/2008

Heres a list of companies i am going to try and get into for this season

* Integrated Tree Cropping 
* Auspine Forestry
* Hancock Victorian Plantations
* Forestry SA
* Green Triangle Forest Products
* National Parks & Wildlife (DEH)
* DSE Victoria

Now its everyone elses turn  :-)

Oh yeah the chainsaw i had to operate and maintain during the unit was an ECHO and believe me that chainsaw had alot of grunt and i dont mean it grunted like a pig does  :lol:

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Crew Jobs 2008/2009 Fire Season
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 02:22:34 PM »
Good luck this year buddy.  :-)
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

rescue5271

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:56:27 AM »
ITC will be looking for more staff this summer Robert so you should give them a call soon....hope you get in one day soon..

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:37:53 AM »
ITC will be looking for more staff this summer Robert so you should give them a call soon....hope you get in one day soon..

Once i have finished my certificate course in conservation and land management as well as gotten other stuff out of the way such as negotiating my part time work contract with Millicent Work Options seeing as how my 3 month trial period is up next month and getting my car seviced in week 3 of September (hopefully)

I will be giving ITC a call then cause theres a good chance now im qualified in chainsaw operations i'll get on the crew... oh yeah Bill i'll have to give you a call around about that time too cause both of my extinguishers need servicing/refilling   
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
No Problems Robert just give me a buzz.....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »
Cheers bill appreciate that.... the good news is that im only 3 weeks away from finishing my final unit of cert 2 in conservation and land management which will give me all 16 units required to get the official certificate 2 in CLM from TAFE

Once i've finished this cert course and have every thing else done i am gonna be banging on the doors of DEH,ITC,Foresty SA and Victorian Plantations looking for a job  :-D   
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Master of Disaster

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
DEH are looking for summer crew now at Athelstone. I hope Forestry SA are looking for Construction and Maintenance Workers this year  :roll:

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:18:44 PM »
Good luck mate, once you get the foot in the door you will be laughing.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:32:46 PM »
I know i'll be laughing JC  :-D  now im close to completion of my CLM cert 2 my chances will increase big time cause i am pretty sure Level 1 chainsaw certificate is the Operate and Maintain chainsaws unit i passed  :|
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 07:38:07 PM »
Just thought i would update you all on whats been happening in regards to my summer crew job hunt.. today 22/08/2008 i once again applied for DSE Victoria project fire fighters position online via the DSE website and now i've got to wait for a few weeks towards the end of September as thats when interviews/testing will begin
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:29 AM »
Hey Robert there ll ready looking for crews in the Adelaide hill's....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 11:37:48 AM »
I've noticed that :-) but im waiting to see if they start looking for crews here in the South East if that happens the DEH know i will be banging on the door for a job  :lol:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 11:45:29 AM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 07:56:35 PM »
Ok Ok i know im getting into that habit of posting this topic around the same time every year  :roll:

Anyways seeing as how the year has already gone past us real fast :-o and with the fire season just 3 months away its time to ask that question of which company everyone is going to try and get a summer crew job with this season... seeing as how im posting the topic let me open the floor  :-P

After narrowly missing out on numerous summer crew jobs last season im back at it again this season coming but now have the addition of my full certificate 2 in Conservation And Land Management of which i have almost completed at TAFE SA Mount Gambier campus

The bonus part about the full cert 2 in CLM (Conservation&Land Management)is that one of the units is operate and maintain chainsaws of which is safe to say i've successfully completed having passed the practical on the 03/08/2008

Heres a list of companies i am going to try and get into for this season

* Integrated Tree Cropping 
* Auspine Forestry
* Hancock Victorian Plantations
* Forestry SA
* Green Triangle Forest Products
* National Parks & Wildlife (DEH)
* DSE Victoria

Now its everyone elses turn  :-)

Oh yeah the chainsaw i had to operate and maintain during the unit was an ECHO and believe me that chainsaw had alot of grunt and i dont mean it grunted like a pig does  :lol:

Depends on your definition of narrow. But 5kms doesn't seem very narrow to me
Party Brigade.  Filtered the Brass

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:00:53 PM »
Depends on your definition of narrow. But 5kms doesn't seem very narrow to me

Every other year i've applied for summer crew the same people who were employed the previous season get picked resulting in me missing out :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »
Maybe that's because they did a good job the previous summer so when they reapply they get rehired rather than risking it by hiring someone who hasn't done the job before and might not be competent and able to do the job.
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 08:12:24 PM »
True Katrina but i've applied so many times the forestry companies might be seeing i am determined to keep trying and trying until they give me a chance  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 08:14:28 PM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
You might have a better chance as a fire tower spotter.......

Offline Gungellan34

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:08:42 PM »
You might have a better chance as a fire tower spotter.......

......look there's a fire tower on that hill.......ooh and another one! :-D
Just my opinion, but I'd like to hear yours!

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 01:59:54 PM »
 :evil: :-D
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
Good news i finally got that piece of paper which verify's i undertook and passed(RTC2304A)Operate And Maintain Chainsaws today from TAFE although it was hand delivered by mum cause it some how ended up in my parents letter box rather than mine :roll:

At least now i have the piece of paper to show the forest companies who advertise for summer crews  :-D 
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 04:51:25 PM »
Good news i finally got that piece of paper which verify's i undertook and passed(RTC2304A)Operate And Maintain Chainsaws today from TAFE although it was hand delivered by mum cause it some how ended up in my parents letter box rather than mine :roll:

At least now i have the piece of paper to show the forest companies who advertise for summer crews  :-D 

As a casual with a major pine company I can assure you they don't care about casuals having chainsaw ticket they only let the full timers use them on the fireground

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
True Ringer but the last few years i have applied for summer crew work with Forestry SA,GTFP,DEH and Auspine i've always noticed that one of the main requirements even though its only a casual 6 month contract is for all applicants to have some sort of chainsaw training or a certification which allows them to do cross cuts or fell trees

With that having been said is probably the reason i've missed out everytime because i wasnt trained in using chainsaws nor had any prior experience in operating a chainsaw  :wink: 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:32:29 PM by Robert-Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2008, 07:41:36 AM »
Well at least you have the chainsaw piece of paper now so you will soon know if that was the reason you were not getting through the selection process. It usually pays to try and meet all the criteria with jobs like that as so many people apply and unfortunately the more experience you have the more likely you are to get the job
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2008, 09:52:04 AM »
I just got that feeling it was Katrina plus as i said earlier the forestry companies i've been applying to for summer crew work will have to see im not  giving up until they give me a chance  :-P
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 07:18:30 PM »
True Ringer but the last few years i have applied for summer crew work with Forestry SA,GTFP,DEH and Auspine i've always noticed that one of the main requirements even though its only a casual 6 month contract is for all applicants to have some sort of chainsaw training or a certification which allows them to do cross cuts or fell trees

With that having been said is probably the reason i've missed out everytime because i wasnt trained in using chainsaws nor had any prior experience in operating a chainsaw  :wink: 
Chainsaws are nice but how about other parts of the job requirements! Do you have Plantation Fire fighting under your belt as well?

anything