Author Topic: Flow Testing  (Read 5553 times)

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Flow Testing
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:05:25 PM »
Hey all i'm new to this forum :-)

Umm i was bouncing around and heard something about how we are short of money... and i thought what if we did testing of fire equipment like they do interestrate with the moneys going to the units? i means wes got the know how and the trucks for the large flowing tests!

why or why could/couldn't we do it

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Flow Testing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 05:34:39 PM »
Because that is already the domain of private companies.

Plus the amount of time that you would need to invest in training people in how to use, let alone test, installed fire safety equipment and then to actually go out and perform the tests as regularly as they need to be performed would significantly outweigh any earnings from the work.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:34:31 PM »
Your right numbers , in fact I saw an advert on the telly just the other night, telling everyone if they are suffering from a poor flow rate or an interupted flow to call their business. So it looks like  private  enterprise  already   has   it .....in hand :wink:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:39:45 PM by jaff »
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
Geeze, please stay on topic Mrs. Jaff, this is serious business. :x
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:51:59 PM by 6739264 »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:56 PM »
 :lol: Nice one numbers  :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »
Jaff can you give some customer feedback? :-D :lol: :-P

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »

So the pot does call the kettle black :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »

So the pot does call the kettle black :-D

Damn straight ;)

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
Well its a cut throat industry.....insurance is the killer and do we really have time to do this?? I work in the industry and its not all as easy as you think.Some of the CFA brigade's are now finding it very hard as in the past there was a rule not to take work away from those brigade's that use a supplier that rule is now gone and its open slatter......

Offline SA- Private- Contractor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 02:35:02 PM »
cut throat is the nice way of saying it... ppl would happily stab someone in the back for a small contract.

Theres not many companies that do it because of the insurance and then there are not many people who can train others in the servicing because soon it will be limited those who have done the rto course in it...  :-o
Training for a Conditioned Response

Offline Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »
SAMFS also conduct flow testing for the comissioning of new buildings in the metro area. (compliance and standards purposes). Could CFS undertake this testing in country areas? The fees charged could be split between the brigade and CFS.

The only problem is the equipment involved (flow meters, etc), the training involved, the reporting system, etc.

pumprescue

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:29 PM »
Not sure if CFS could conduct the tests due to the appliances, I know we did a test with a winery some time ago and our 24P was unable to boost the system enough to get to the minimum flow rate required let alone the maximum.

rescue5271

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 06:37:11 PM »
Dont CFS have their own gear to do the flow test with their own flow meter's?? I am sure that building service's would or share the equipment with MFS?? I was on site when a flow test was being done by a mallee brigade using their 24p an dit could not do the job......

Offline 2468

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:05:03 PM »
Hey,

can we do flow tests for private companies:S like are we allowed or are we only there to use them in a real fire?

Offline Gilly

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 12:29:04 AM »
I think the nail is being hit on the head here... Repeatedly
The majority of CFS appliances cannot boost a system properly solo, and hence cannot conduct a full flow test. When SAMFS conduct flow testing, they generally pump 4 lines in to the boosters. Most CFS trucks only have 2 or 3 max 64 outlets, so CFS would have to use 2 trucks to acheive the test (thats if the trucks could reach the required volumes and pressures!!), and so it all gets a bit too hard.

Mythbusters say... BUSTED.

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
No you can not do it.....does your brigade or group hold the correct paperwork to fill in to do the testing?? will CFS cover the insurance cost if you break or damage anything?? Do you have personnel insurance of up to $20 million. do you have a pumper that has 4 in and 4 out so as to do the test?? are you able to flow test 6 hydrants while maintaing pressure to the system???

Its too hard and one that is best left to those that already have the gear and the insurance....

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:22 AM »
One Truck, Per Booster Inlet/Outlet.....lol might work...but 4 trucks sitting there for water supply...quite a joke.

And hence "will CFS cover the insurance cost if you break or damage anything??"    Maybe we shouldnt even touch Booster systems in Fire situations too :P

The question of "Why did so much damage occur to this building when there was the ability to minimize it through the use of a sprinker and booster system?"

A: "ehhh we couldnt use it"

anything