Author Topic: Could you afford to volunteer when fuel is $2 plus per litre ?  (Read 19698 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Could you afford to volunteer when fuel is $2 plus per litre ?
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2008, 10:27:49 AM »
few weeks ago when i did my course, everybody got a chance to fill out there form for travel cost claims....

my $11.25 cheque went straight back into the tank :)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
A course I did about 2 weeks ago, an email I was shown from the regional training person said only one travel claim per 4 people (presumably from the one brigade) would be accepted.

I find that a little hard to believe. It may be circumstantial that even if members of the same Brigade are attending the same course they may be travelling to the course from different locations where it is not possible to car pool. Every confirmation letter of a course states "wherever possible a command vehicle must be used in accordance with COSO yada yada yada". However, common sense should prevail if multiple members from the same Brigade are attending the same course and travel in the same car. :wink:

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 11:00:35 AM »
A course I did about 2 weeks ago, an email I was shown from the regional training person said only one travel claim per 4 people (presumably from the one brigade) would be accepted.

I find that a little hard to believe. It may be circumstantial that even if members of the same Brigade are attending the same course they may be travelling to the course from different locations where it is not possible to car pool. Every confirmation letter of a course states "wherever possible a command vehicle must be used in accordance with COSO yada yada yada". However, common sense should prevail if multiple members from the same Brigade are attending the same course and travel in the same car. :wink:

yeah I was a bit surprised but took a command car so didn't get to "test" it.  No claim forms were handed out at the course either (bit odd too).

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 11:23:32 AM »
I did the AIIMS course 3 weeks ago and there was a pink slip for travel claims on every persons desk.

Taking a group car is the smart thing to do and I can recommend the CFS Hilton for your next holiday :lol:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:27:17 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »
It comes back to are you in it for the right reasons if all you want is a tax break or the gov to help prop you up then i suggest that you are in it for the wrong reasons. Do the lions/rotary,probus clubs sponsor there vollies petrol when out helping to community i dont think so!!!! if you dont like it then dont filtered do it!!!
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 02:24:44 PM »
It comes back to are you in it for the right reasons if all you want is a tax break or the gov to help prop you up then i suggest that you are in it for the wrong reasons. Do the lions/rotary,probus clubs sponsor there vollies petrol when out helping to community i dont think so!!!! if you dont like it then dont filtered do it!!!

well said  :wink:

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »

Yeh can see where your coming from Foxy, BUT in this situation ,what the gist of this thread is and it ties in with some of the other current running threads is.....Volunteer numbers, are we losing some of our members because they find it an extra financial impost, the training night travel co$t$, the callout travel co$t$, the meetings travel co$t$, the i'll just pop down to the station maintenance travel co$t$
Whilst some members might live 100 meters from the station , others live considerable distances and might be a 50 - 100 callout a year brigade , now when you start to add up the running co$t$ over a year , it can be considerable.
If your a married, with young kids parent ,then your already denying them time with you, whilst you do your community service, now in these times of spiralling fuel costs are you going to deny them or your partner some other pleasure because your running co$t$ have risen and you cant afford it.
This is not a whinge about they want to get paid, its a whinge about not being further penalised for doing the right thing!
Whilst I agree, most of the time with the tough love attitude of "if you dont like it dont filtered do it" is this attitude costing us members, listening costs you nothing, not listening costs you members and maybe much more!!!!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 04:35:34 PM by jaff »
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 02:48:08 PM »
And since we're part of a government agency,  unlike lions/rotary, etc...   There is a chance for us to be reimbursed for our travels, which already occurs for courses ran at the state training centre.     We pay the government taxes, bit of a double wammy,  a set amount Tax Deduction for each member would be nice :)   And we end up either partially reimbursed or over reimbursed when July comes :D

Been sussing this out with the accountants i work for ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 02:52:20 PM by Zippy »

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 03:24:08 PM »
Fox as Zippy said plus those organisations you mentioned help the community out. We are Professional Volunteer Emergency Responders - who if it was a slightly different world would get paid!
Now communities can do without those organisations, but they either have to have us or paid staff!
Finally I'm not sure where you are from, how long you ahve served or what you have been exposed to but from I know what I have done & experienced in my time in the service & I find being compared to those mentioned community service clubs insulting! (yes they do a great job but its not the same).
Up until recently our military reserves were not used for anything close to what they have been trained to do, but they get payed for every minute they spend in uniform, their employers also get very good compensation & they get brilliant support. And yet we face the "enemy" (Mother Nature/ Very stupid people)every day, have our lives disrupted, have our lives changed (not always for the best) & for some of us relive the real horrors that our service exposes us to for the rest of our lives. I don't think a little compensation for fuel is a big ask!
Finally when there are no volunteers left to fight the fires, Cut the people out there cars, pull the bodies/ bits of bodies out of all of the different situations we find them in, get out in the storms & floods when normal people are snugled up in their beds - then when you ask yourself why? You will already have the answer. Fair dinkum mate I'm sure you just say stuff just to stir scheiße.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »
Fox as Zippy said plus those organisations you mentioned help the community out. We are Professional Volunteer Emergency Responders - who if it was a slightly different world would get paid!
Now communities can do without those organisations, but they either have to have us or paid staff!
Finally I'm not sure where you are from, how long you ahve served or what you have been exposed to but from I know what I have done & experienced in my time in the service & I find being compared to those mentioned community service clubs insulting! (yes they do a great job but its not the same).
Up until recently our military reserves were not used for anything close to what they have been trained to do, but they get payed for every minute they spend in uniform, their employers also get very good compensation & they get brilliant support. And yet we face the "enemy" (Mother Nature/ Very stupid people)every day, have our lives disrupted, have our lives changed (not always for the best) & for some of us relive the real horrors that our service exposes us to for the rest of our lives. I don't think a little compensation for fuel is a big ask!
Finally when there are no volunteers left to fight the fires, Cut the people out there cars, pull the bodies/ bits of bodies out of all of the different situations we find them in, get out in the storms & floods when normal people are snugled up in their beds - then when you ask yourself why? You will already have the answer. Fair dinkum mate I'm sure you just say stuff just to stir filtered.
cheers

Currently served between 15 - 20 yrs in the CFS and yes a quite busy brigade. Have spent a lot of time away from family and my work, i might add when not at work no pay, and like i said i do it for the love of my community and not so the gov can pay me to travel to the station. The real reason you are not attracting vollies is that we now live in a time poor society where the average joe blow couldn't give the time of day let alone be bothered with the emergency services that just might inconvenience meal times. Military federally funded, CFS SES state funded. So lets raise our taxes so you can claim back some of your fuel costs. Be filtered. Do it cause you can and not cause you want financial assistance.
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »
Do it cause you can and not cause you want financial assistance.

Fox Mulder:  Just because people want to claim travel expenses, doesn't mean they're volunteering for the wrong reasons.  This thread is about petrol prices forcing volunteers to re-think if they can afford to volunteer, not trying to attract volunteers with financial incentives. Hence the whole point of the thread: Do petrol prices mean you can't?

If you've been in the service for 15-20 years, you're probably too old to remember what its like to be a student, struggling to find money for food, let alone petrol.  As people have said in this thread previously, some fire fighters are spending over a thousand dollars each year on travel expenses for CFS.  That might not be much for you, but for a student, (the ones we want, because they don't have the family and work commitments), that's enough to make them re-think whether they can afford to volunteer.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »
"removed" it made no sense
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:16:32 PM by bittenyakka »

Offline mlambert300

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 11:12:47 PM »
Im a 19 year old male that is lucky to have a job. The down side of my job is that I hate it and for the level of work I do I should not be on the pay that I am on. ($14 per hour)I live about 12ks from my station. 7 min drive. as the cost of fuel is $1.86 (last I looked) It is starting to cost me to much money to do what I need to do. I have just been made training officer so for me that means more driving to find the ideal place for training. Some compensation would be nice for the work I do.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
Fox - I know the difference between the Reservists & the Emergency Services. The comparision I was tryin to draw is that many years ago it was realised by the Federal government that it could not afford a large standing army, however it could not afford not to have a large body of trained personnel - hence the reserves scheme.
You compared us to Rotary, Lions etc - I think we are closer to the military services (in more ways than one :wink: ). I'm not arguing for payment, but I think adequate compensation for expenses incurred is not a big ask.
I get more than adequately compensated in my payed job so why shouldn't I get the same for assisting in providing an essential service to my community?
Anyway I have made my feelings felt on this subject.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »
This isn't about financial incentives for volunteering, it's about making it financially viable for people to continue to volunteer. I joined becaused I wanted to do something for my community that was actually helping people. I then realised that I enjoyed what I did, and I put a lot of time and effort into my brigade.

There comes a time that no matter how much I love what I do, no matter how much of my personal life I want to put aside for the brigade, I will not be able to, because when it comes down to being able to pay rent and eat, sadly, that will always take precedence over the Brigade.

If I can't afford to take the $$$ hit that undertaking CFS duties costs me, I will stop. This isn't about my employment, or leaving and not getting paid, this is merely about the thousands of extra km's that I drive each year for CFS. I know that I don't have it anwhere near s bad as some others around...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2008, 10:54:37 AM »
This isn't about financial incentives for volunteering, it's about making it financially viable for people to continue to volunteer. I joined becaused I wanted to do something for my community that was actually helping people. I then realised that I enjoyed what I did, and I put a lot of time and effort into my brigade.

There comes a time that no matter how much I love what I do, no matter how much of my personal life I want to put aside for the brigade, I will not be able to, because when it comes down to being able to pay rent and eat, sadly, that will always take precedence over the Brigade.

If I can't afford to take the $$$ hit that undertaking CFS duties costs me, I will stop. This isn't about my employment, or leaving and not getting paid, this is merely about the thousands of extra km's that I drive each year for CFS. I know that I don't have it anwhere near s bad as some others around...

I think that pretty much sum's everything up.  The cost of volunteering most probably hits the country more, as the cost of petrol is much higher out there...much more than the $1.50's we're experiencing here around the Urban/Rural interface.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 10:57:13 AM by Zippy »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2008, 02:02:15 PM »
Thanks for the interesting discussion.... I personally think each volunteer organisation (brigade, unit, etc) needs to consider how to attract the volunteer who does not have much money, but would welcome the training & companionship of being an emergency service volunteer.

The discussion was started during a 'recruiting volunteer day-time responders' workshop conducted by the VMB approximately 12 to 18 months ago. I believe one Unit is now facilitating car-pooling to weekly training meetings, by having a list on their notice board of people offering to share petrol costs, their telephone number & which suburb they live in.

As stated before, I do not believe financial reimbursement of all costs will ever work. This is against the volunteer ethos & would be too open to abuse

I wanted to see where this discussion lead before mentioning my reason for creating the thread.

What prompted me to start this thread is that the new SES 2008/09 SHQ training program has been issued.

On page 7 it states under 'Travel' heading "Attendees are required to arrange Unit, State Fleet, public or private transport to training venues. Generally, mileage reimbursement is not available to attendees. Mileage allowances will only be paid under special circumstances to attendees who have negotiated this prior to the activity with the Training Activity Manager.

The activity confirmation will normally list those attending the course or workshop, and attendees are encouraged to make contact with each other to organise group travel"

On the surface, this makes sense to me to reduce costs and ensure that the travel money is allocated to assist the correct volunteers.

SES SHQ courses are generally intended for volunteers who will take the skills back to the Units to train others. But the courses are also for volunteers who are interested in the skill that will not be taught within their Unit (though priority is given to volunteers from Units where the skill is a core competency, which is exactly right).

Personally, an 'Air Observer' course is not a core competency for the Unit I am with and thus I will need to do more work to see where I stand for travel to do the course. But the 'Operate Communications Equipment, Implementation Workshop' is a core competency, so this will be easier to nominate for.

It is a change that has happened because of the SES budget restrictions and I am not sure if it is good or bad for majority of the SES volunteers.

This will be discussed at higher levels so we will see what happens.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:06:23 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 08:22:00 AM »
Thats how I justified keeping our troopy Andrew. When I was the boss of the unit - no one was to use their private car. That included running up to Renmark to do admin when RHQ was located there.
There maybe high level discussions on this topic but until "some" units realise that the equipment in their care is for all to use (&not just a select few) & until SES starts becoming more forceful about things then nothing will change.
Watchout for FleetSA - they charge a small fortune, even when you don't use the car! Numbers well said  :wink:
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
In one of my positions in the CFS is Purchasing I normally have to travel 7 to 8 km to get a CFS vehicle it is the same distance traveled to  go do the purchasing so i don't worry about getting it. Since the petrol cost rising i will be thinking twice now before I do it as i was normally between $800 to a $1000 dollars out of pocket a year. Getting to expensive as it does not include all the other stuff I do.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 01:51:48 PM »
As stated before, I do not believe financial reimbursement of all costs will ever work. This is against the volunteer ethos & would be too open to abuse

I disagree on all counts Andrew.

The UN Charter on Volunteering (the Australian forum for whihc I understand the CFS has had some input) states that the organisation shall meet reasonable costs of the volunteer.  When CFS & SES were local entities, locally funded, it made sense for members to carry some costs as part of their community's financial contribution.

Both are now "fully" state govt funded. To continue to pick up the cost of delivering the service hides the true cost & allows cynical politicians to short change the Services, transferring delivery costs to individuals & businesses instead of spreading it across the wider community. 

Having one's reasonable costs covered in no way affects the volunteer ethos.

It can be made to work if the political & organisational will to do so exists. 
Brigades & Units would simply need to be a bit tighter with the attendance record keeping that they are already supposed to be doing.  It would be no more open to abuse than the current petty cash / reimbursements system.  It would simply increase the range of reimbursable items.

Oh, and yes, I can afford to continue doing this, even if petrol goes above $2/L. But there would come a point where I would refuse to pay the government for the privilege of doing work for which the government should meet the costs.

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

anything