Author Topic: More crewing issues discussion  (Read 10491 times)

rescue5271

Re: More crewing issues discussion
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »
CFS would have to have public insurance as the public are more than welcome into stations,but also on open days,there are a umber of CFS stations that i know of that allow community groups to use the station and it works well...You never know you may just get a new member or two out of it...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 10:28:25 PM »
Perhaps a less 'seasonal' approach to training is worthwhile? Certainly give Rural fires an in depth look pre-summer, but things like BA/Urban Fire/HAZMAT/RCR are year round things to train in. Having structural stuff in the middle of winter is fine, but not if you don't re visit it for a year. Certainly give chimney fires and BA a good crack around March/April/May but the rest of it needs to be worked on constantly, rather than just once annually.

Plus, it means that for some of us we don't get stuck doing something that we find boring for an entire season:

eg: The fire was moving in an easterly direction when the wind changed *trumpets* turning the flank into a fast moving head fire *trumpets*
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
I know one station that years ago all they did for training was drive the trucks outside sweep out the engine bay and reverse them back in and go home. :-o

No wonder people lost interest.
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 11:38:05 AM »
Darius you say that other community groups use your station as well(not sure what station that is)? How does that sit with HQ, as from my understanding CFS now owns the leases on most CFS stations, so are they covered for public liability if the station is being used for non CFS business? Hopefully I'm way wrong on this ,sure someone smarter will set me straight!

no idea sorry (and don't care either).  I am talking about a small community where you largely have the same locals represented on many of these community groups, so I reckon there would be a CFS member present at all these anyway (they'd have to open the station for a start).  Don't forget the community own the station and all the facilities, I think it is quite wrong to keep anyone except members of the brigade out.  We have open days and anyone is welcome to wander through (as Bill mentioned).  Perhaps it would be different if it was Morphett Vale or Salisbury etc we were talking about, but I'm talking more rural type areas (which is 99% of brigades).  Regarding leases, have a feeling ours is still owned by the council and CFS pay a peppercorn rent but I could well be wrong as all that psuedo-legal and financial stuff is well outside my area of interest and knowledge.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 06:49:41 PM »
....  Don't forget the community own the station and all the facilities,...

Sorry, not since the SA Fire & Emergency Services Act came into being a few years ago.

The ownership I believe is the Minister for Emergency Services and some facilities are leased from the local council/community.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »
....  Don't forget the community own the station and all the facilities,...

Sorry, not since the SA Fire & Emergency Services Act came into being a few years ago.

The ownership I believe is the Minister for Emergency Services and some facilities are leased from the local council/community.

Isn't anything government owned technically owned by the community?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 07:57:05 AM »
The Government likes to think not :P

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2008, 12:34:25 PM »
I brought todays issue of the South Eastern Times and on the very front page there was an article which reflects on this topic about crewing issues as Tantanoola is at risk of loosing their appliance due to low crew numbers towards the end of the article it mentioned that Kalangadoo and Nangwarry are at risk too if the issue of crewing continues  :|

Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 05:03:17 PM »
I brought todays issue of the South Eastern Times and on the very front page there was an article which reflects on this topic about crewing issues as Tantanoola is at risk of loosing their appliance due to low crew numbers towards the end of the article it mentioned that Kalangadoo and Nangwarry are at risk too if the issue of crewing continues  :|

Hopefully the community will react & become interested in the brigade's. Maybe worth placing the article in the shop notice boards with the brigade contact details & training nights. Possible way to scare the community into making a decision.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

anything