Author Topic: PROTECTIVE HOOD  (Read 26034 times)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PROTECTIVE HOOD
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2005, 05:06:25 PM »
Apparently something must have gone out last week about the f/hoods, as Captain told members at training on Monday that if any one had them, they were not to be worn until further notice. (E.G - Until they were approved)
I haven't heard anything about that memo yet, but if you could tell us when CFS has approved it, that would be appreciated :-D

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2005, 05:23:30 PM »
Well, now the safecom bill is being passed m.f.s and c.f.s come under the same OHS&W legislation, so either no-one wears them or we all wear them!

strikeathird

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2005, 06:12:29 PM »
Well, all I can say, is CFS better get there act into gear, and approve the flash hoods.  They are putting lives at risk!!

(My view only!)

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 09:57:44 PM »
Naracoorte has given these out to caba members for the past two years and they have come in good use at a number of going jobs. The first one that comes to mind is flash over at a shed fire where a number of members where put to the test and the hoods worked. But are these part of CFS gear????? Not sure but no one has stopped us buying them....

strikeathird

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2005, 11:09:29 AM »
You can buy as many as you like, but if something isn't approved it means you shouldn't be wearing them....

I can buy a red or blue light, doesn't mean I can use it.

Maybe its something VFBA, or brigade reps can take to there management committees??  That they want to wear this equipment, but are not allowed to.  At the end of the day, it is about personal Safety!

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2005, 11:42:50 AM »
Quote from strikeathird
>>I can buy a red or blue light, doesn't mean I can use it.>>

Can you?  :-o

You're lucky. :-) Our Brigade has had quite an uphill struggle at times to get suppliers to supply our local auto electrician with emergency strobes/beacons.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2005, 05:05:46 PM »
Yessum, doesn't mean I do... LOL.

If you continue to struggle, PM me, and I will give you the contact details of a couple of suppliers from S.A.

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 12:59:47 PM »
Regarding the use of falshhoods;

I was at my group training meeting last night and was told by the deputy GO that flashoods can now be used by CFS personell for structural fire fighting use. 

However, I don't beleive there is a CFS standard flashhood yet as he said the CFS couldn't decide whether to adopt the American or British standard.  This is due to the fact that they both use different types and there are a lot of different brands. 

Unfortunately though, the CFS has said that they will be at a groups expense.  So those groups with a lot of money to spare will probably buy them for all there CABA operatrs and those without enough money to spare will probably have to go without for the time being.

This is just what I was told, but don't take it for granted.

On another note, I thought that flashhoods might have been incorporated into the pbi "structural fire-fighting suits", but obviously not.

corocfs

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 12:08:35 PM »
aaarrgh.... flash hoods, obviously some ppl do have them/do use them. wether brigade supplied or otherwise....

**pic from promotions site

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 12:18:09 PM »
Obviously - but then there are also groups/brigades who have stock piled large quantities of Nomex to delay the purchase of PBI Gold!!!!!
Doesn't mean thats the right thing to do!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

corocfs

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 12:35:39 PM »
im not saying its the right thing to do

in fact i disagree with any stockpiling of any equipment...
was just noting that these kinds of thigns are obviously already popping up in the service

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 12:46:14 PM »
Very true!

But then I remember a day when:
- a group was ridiculed for two piece PPE - now thats the norm!
- a group was ridiculed for zip up boots with ankle support - now thats the norm
- PTO pumps were for the rich brigades and the 'want a be's' near Adelaide
- when CFS trucks were red and white ones were frowned upon and a ball was held to stop the transition
- I know brigades that until 3 years ago still wore khaki overalls.

Times change, standards change, needs change - the thread needs to be, lets find out, if the change is waranted and how we can aid in it occurring!

strikeathird

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 02:32:49 PM »
I have asked on a number of levels what can be done to " aid " or assist in getting clearance for wearing a hood.  I have been told by most that we can argue the matter until blue in the face, but nothing will change until it is approved............. (Asked last night about being able to wear them for Structure use only, as was mentioned a few posts above, and nothing is known about that.)

So, my question...  Who is in charge of approving such an item for the CFS. (knowing the MFS have it approved, and most other services around Australia), and how do we put the pressure on, so this life saving piece of equipment can be worn at the appropriate jobs ????

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2005, 11:04:08 AM »
Yes some brigades have been wearing flashoods for at least the past twelve months, shock horror that we would want the best protection for our members going into an unpredictable and dangerous situation. We have since been directed (in the last couple of weeks) to cease wearing them until a policy is worked out.

"I have asked on a number of levels what can be done to " aid " or assist in getting clearance for wearing a hood"  '

Strikeathird you will be pleased to hear that one of our deputies has taken up the cause and is currently pushing hard at Region and State levels to have them approved, stay tuned....

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2005, 02:41:36 PM »
I am still chasing up the source of my DGO's information regarding the use of falshoods, but on another note, I saw a regional officer wearing a flashood at a gas prop training - He wasn't actually wearing it, it was pulled down around his neck????

strikeathird

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2005, 09:23:57 PM »
I believe they are used at Brukunga on all Hotpad, and Compartment training excercises.  That is the only place I believe CFS members can wear them...  During that training, and under supervision of an instructor.

And hopefully soon, they will be approved for out side of brukunga use.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2005, 09:34:58 AM »
Utimatley Tech Services in HQ sign them off.
The people to forward questions to " Mr. A Tindall" as the manager or one of the other staff in there - Andrew Patten was doing the uniform stuff, but don't know if hes still there.

Otherwise - chain of command - up to the region, use the VFBA!

As with anything, we need to be percistant!

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2005, 11:09:44 AM »
http://www.safirefighter.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=5

nice photo Matt.....

Good to see a set of PBI getting Dirty  :-D

But is that a flash hood I see?, and it doesnt look to be put on overly well either....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 11:11:15 AM by Mike »

strikeathird

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »
lol.  Yea, saw that also.  Nice photo of the member face to face with an RO wearing his hood........

Does this mean they are now okay to be worn ?  :mrgreen:

corocfs

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2005, 09:58:35 AM »
lol.  Yea, saw that also.  Nice photo of the member face to face with an RO wearing his hood........

Does this mean they are now okay to be worn ?  :mrgreen:

i think it probably just means that a lot of people are ignoring what they are told, and doing what is best for there on safety.
if you look around the place you will find flashhoods being used all over the state.

rescue5271

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2005, 06:54:52 AM »
My understanding is if the supplier sells it to you it is past as being approved by H/Q some one can tell me if I am wrong but they have been a part of the service for some 18months or so.. i did see that the ACT fire service and rural fire services have placed a tender for all there members to have them in urban and rural jobs...

strikeathird

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2005, 11:26:24 PM »
My understanding is if the supplier sells it to you it is past as being approved by H/Q some one can tell me if I am wrong but they have been a part of the service for some 18months or so.. i did see that the ACT fire service and rural fire services have placed a tender for all there members to have them in urban and rural jobs...

Like I said in previous threads mate, I can go and buy a blue and red flashing light, doesn't mean I can use it.

Be careful, just because you can purchase it, does NOT mean it has been approved.....

(In this case, it HAS NOT yet been approved),

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2005, 09:21:33 AM »
Might be of interest - SAMFS firefighters are lobbying for a second flash hood for their personal kit.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:24:39 AM by Firefrog »

strikeathird

« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2005, 12:49:27 AM »
It still gets me, why we, the CFS, come under the SAFECOM banner, with the MFS, and yet for some reason they can wear flash-hoods, and we cannot!

Can some one explain that one too me????

How STUPID is that !!   We do the same darn job !  We risk our lives in the same darn manner!  But NOOOOOOOOOOO...............  Not allowed to wear a flash hood !!!!!!!!!!!

I give up sometimes.....

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
Strikeathird - I'm with you - SAFECom was to bring us closer together????? Yep, I can see that is happening ..... funny OH&S legislation, would now have the CEO SAFECom as the responsible officer ........ therefore should standards not be the same???

Oh well, cant rush these people too much, it is only a safety issue, like driver training, courses for new equipment, courses for old equipment, SOP's, SAP's et all for PPE .... I think there is a long list

anything