Author Topic: Entry Medical  (Read 10353 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Entry Medical
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2008, 09:48:03 PM »
SES will be enforcable!
The BMI thing has been considered (for all of our body builders).
It's not just a physical & medical but also a sought of mental ability to cope thing.
All of the comments mentioned above have been voiced!
And it's come about from our involvement in vertical rescue & USAR Cat2 (wonder if CFS Vertical people will have to do it?)
The way its going there won't be a service outside of the Metro area in a few years (yes you can cheer Numbers)!
But if this is a requirement for one volly service why shouldn't CFS be subjected to the same?
As I said I think some sought of minimum standard is required but it all depends how high the bar is being put.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2008, 11:59:58 PM »
I would fully support a fitness standard.  Most of the potential volunteers we have expect there to be a test when they approach us, and you may find that the service appears more attractive to to the youth in the community if there is a fitness standard.
I don't think it should be a particularly hard test, but there should be one there.  Once people start a small amount of exercise to shape up to a low level of fitness they may discover that it's not much extra work to improve their fitness even more.

Hypothetically: If a 150KG fire fighter goes down in a burning building, and a rescue crew of 70KG fire fighters can't get him out quickly enough, is that the fault of the rescue crew because they weren't strong enough, or the obese guy, because he shouldn't have gone in like that in the first place?

rescue5271

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 07:41:12 AM »
well you would not have a 150KG firefighter inside in CABA as they would not pass the BMI.......

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 09:56:08 AM »
well you would not have a 150KG firefighter inside in CABA as they would not pass the BMI.......

Depends how tall they are :P

But that's true - I'll change the scenario slightly. Working at a scrubby and the wind changes direction suddenly putting the crew from the previous scenario in the path of the fire.  Our big friend trips and breaks his leg.  then what?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »
As part of team building in a Brigade/Unit there would be nothing wrong with setting aside a night where everyone attends, and all go for a hike/run etc once  or twice a month.Combine it with the other training and skills we do on a training night if you want, but add variety.
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 12:35:17 PM »
I work with a bloke who is your typical country lad, 130kg of angry farmer. If he goes down in a building I can't drag him out, but by christ am I happy to have him next to me in CABA, he is just 110% muscle.

We can't use the BMI, as that would almost count me out of CFS BA, I'm about a 33, why not a changed Beep test, like others have suggested, plus a functional strength/fitness test. People join, let them know the standards (adjusted for age/sex) and then before they're voted in in 6 months, they have to pass it. It gives people enough prep time.

I know that it won't be popular, but at the same time its about peoples own safety.

To think they employed me as a drooling retard...