Author Topic: Entry Medical  (Read 10349 times)

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Entry Medical
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:17:50 AM »
It would appear that SES are going to adopt an entry level medical for members.
Not sure on all the details as yet.

Ill post some more details as they come to light.....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Entry Medical
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:56:55 AM »
By the look of some of their current members it had better not be any harder then vertical with a pulse :-D though I think the pulse is at the moment, optional :lol: joking people joking
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
Funny guy :-D - Same could be said for some of the guys in yellow :wink:
I've got a copy of whats proposed but as it hasn't been discussed at the regional UMAG & I'm not part of that forum anymore it would be inappropriate to disclose the details except to say it's a graduated thing depending on the activity the prospective member wants to undertake (General Rescue, RCR, VR, USAR cat2 etc).
Personally I think it's long overdue and would have saved me a lot of work when I first took over my former unit (most of the membership of the unit then would not have got passed the first stage).
Again it's a risk management strategy, most employers have pre-employment medicals, so why not have them for people who by the very nature of the tasks presents a great risk.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »
fitness tests anybody?

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:38:41 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What next.......

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
Breath Testing to start up the truck :P

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:42:17 PM »
Seems like some members of the forum are threatened by fitness testing...

pumprescue

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
Gee if they introduce that then most of the SES and CFS will cease to exist !!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
I have not seen any documents yet, just read the article in the latest Frontline (Physical and Psychological Guidelines, page 6, Frontline, July 2008).

Personally I have concerns on volunteers privacy of existing medical & psychological conditions in a small community...what happens if the person turns up to volunteer & is then knocked back by the medical/psyc test. Will rumours start in the community as to why ??

Can we guarantee that the Unit/Brigade hierarchy will maintain confidentiality or will they just get a letter stating 'non compliant' ??

What rights does the volunteer have to appeal (esp a psychological test) ??

Will their be followup medicals at each competency renewal ?

Will the psychological test take into account existing medication for the illness ?

Will the organisation pay for the volunteer to travel to have the tests done if they are not available locally ?

I can understand for some training/qualifications that the volunteer needs certain attributes (eg confined space rescue in BA & vertical harness is very scary).

Soooo many questions & the consultation process was to start in July 2008.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:34 PM »
SAAS have been doing it for ages......whats the problem?

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2008, 08:11:17 AM »
BM - Do SAAS fitness test there vollies or paid staff only?

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing some fitness standards in the CFS...

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2008, 08:12:53 AM »
The only problem I see Andrew is who is going to have the final say?
If someone does make the minimum standard Will Unit managers/ State HQ be able to over rule the doctors report?
As for the confidentiality thing - don't see it as an issue as I said Companies are doing it now. Having said that it was the main topic for discussion @ the UMAG last night, my views don't represent the majority :-D
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 10:49:26 AM »
BM - Do SAAS fitness test there vollies or paid staff only?

Personally i wouldnt mind seeing some fitness standards in the CFS...

[\quote]

both - vollies and paid

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:28 PM »
To open a can of worms, I believe strongly that the CFS needs to look at fitness beyond the BA medical.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 02:31:47 AM »
Beep Test, i believe the MFS Standard is quite high....cut it in half and see who can get through it for statistical purposes only? :P:P

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:25 PM »
well i believe the MFS is 9.6 and i remember in high school 4.5 was really easy to obtain. But i havent done it in a while.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 02:07:49 PM »
i would be happy to see a better fitness standard in the cfs but with that it creates a problem.

its hard enough to get more vollies....are they gonna be bothered if they have to go through a fitness test?

on the other hand it will weed out the dedicated from the time wasters
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »
It would create a goal to achieve as part of BFF1? :P A pre-course Beep test...have to train up for it.

rescue5271

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2008, 07:25:24 PM »
Cant see it happening as its too hard now to get new members out in the country,who ever came up with this crap must have nothing else to do at his or her desk job.....I agree 100% with cam.....

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2008, 08:31:24 PM »
Cant see it happening as its too hard now to get new members out in the country,who ever came up with this crap must have nothing else to do at his or her desk job.....I agree 100% with cam.....

Would work in a community culture that Brigade Membership is something to aspire to, &
"Fire-Fighter" someone to be respected for what & who they are.  Such a culture is
foreign to most Australian towns I think.  Possibly because brigades have lowered the fire-fighter bar to one which carries no particular respect ?  Could such a culture be
created ?   I think it could be done in 10-20 years in townships.  Maybe.  Will be a
brave management committee that starts down that road - training starts with a run
around the block & exercises, just like the footy club up the road...

For those in areas where fire is just another part of their normal job (most farming
areas?), it will never happen.  On the other hand, most farmers I know would have no
trouble at all meeting any -reasonable- fitness standard. Or any other reasonable
competence standard.

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 08:55:21 PM »

Would work in a community culture that Brigade Membership is something to aspire to, &
"Fire-Fighter" someone to be respected for what & who they are.  Such a culture is
foreign to most Australian towns I think.  Possibly because brigades have lowered the fire-fighter bar to one which carries no particular respect ?  Could such a culture be
created ?   I think it could be done in 10-20 years in townships.  Maybe.  Will be a
brave management committee that starts down that road - training starts with a run
around the block & exercises, just like the footy club up the road...

For those in areas where fire is just another part of their normal job (most farming
areas?), it will never happen.  On the other hand, most farmers I know would have no
trouble at all meeting any -reasonable- fitness standard. Or any other reasonable
competence standard.

cheers

Respect? Never heard of it....doesnt exist!

Not just for the firefighter but in general!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2008, 01:22:04 AM »
I remember reading some info that came from HQ some time ago, in relation to fitness guidelines....- I think it might have been called Physiological guidelines for fire fighters...maybe?

It had some recommended standards (but not enforcable ones) that brigades could consider.

It was based on functional activities - so if a person could do those activities, they were considered acceptable from a fitness point of view.

I can't remember all of it, but the exercises included getting onto and off a standard 24 or 34 appliance, I think there was something about lifting a full foam container (maybe?) and a few others things I don't remember...

I remember reading through it at the time, and thought it wasn't a bad standard...if a person couldn't do the exercises listed, then they really shouldn't be a fire fighter....!

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

rescue5271

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
ounds good to me what PIP is saying,we all know the story about the weight lifter who could not pass the Medical for CABA due to his BMI,if you can lift,carry,walk,read,hear and work as a team welcome to the service...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »
People need to take this job that we do seriously. Yes its voluntary, but its still and emergency service. Be it SES or CFS.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »
People need to take this job that we do seriously. Yes its voluntary, but its still and emergency service. Be it SES or CFS.

I agree numbers but there needs to be a healthy median.  As stated before people wont want to join if there is too much involved before they get on the trucks....the CFS doesnt have the appeal that the MFS has.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)