Author Topic: Recruitment Strategies  (Read 36684 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment Strategies
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 02:40:35 PM »
Some brigades recruitment strategy is to induct more members into the "Boys Club Hall of Fame" :-P

Oh well....

The higher the booze intake, the better the decision making no?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 03:29:31 PM »
Some brigades recruitment strategy is to induct more members into the "Boys Club Hall of Fame" :-P

Oh well....

Jeff i think most brigades "boys clubs" as you call them are actually the people in the brigade that want to work as a team and are generally the majority and as we know the majority will always rule. Probably best to work with the majority than to fight them with your own agenda.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »
Jeff i think most brigades "boys clubs" as you call them are actually the people in the brigade that want to work as a team and are generally the majority and as we know the majority will always rule. Probably best to work with the majority than to fight them with your own agenda.

Either that, or they are the blokes who have been around forever, have their own agenda, don't care for any of the 'new fangled' ideas and are the reason for the brigade going stagnant. Its not hard for a small number of people to strongly influence the direction and priorities of a brigade, especially when they are the incumbent officers and comittee members.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2008, 01:05:38 AM »

Oh well....

Jeff I think most brigades "boys clubs" as you call them are actually the people in the brigade that want to work as a team and are generally the majority and as we know the majority will always rule. Probably best to work with the majority than to fight them with your own agenda.

Own agenda, that's a bit rich coming from you,look at yourself :roll:
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:30 AM »
BACK ON TOPIC.  I dont want to do a moderators job for them.  No Boxing Matchs here, Go to Beijing for that.

I definately dont agree with some very obvious "clubs" within several brigades, it can often cause factionism..The Entire Brigade needs to work together and support each and every one. Agendas on either side of the road need to be dissolved if they even really exist..most of the time they are only "percieved" agenda's.

BACK ON TOPIC.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:30:43 AM by Zippy »

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 01:59:09 PM »
Sorry i forgot i am working out of my forum rank, better post some more "hahas".

Our brigade has been lucky with recruiting alot of tranfer members such as myself, which brings up another recruiting question, how many here have chosen their new house on the location of the CFS station haha.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 02:04:53 PM »
Sorry i forgot i am working out of my forum rank, better post some more "hahas".

Our brigade has been lucky with recruiting alot of tranfer members such as myself, which brings up another recruiting question, how many here have chosen their new house on the location of the CFS station haha.

Thats actually an interesting question raised, particularly for those in the UrbanRural Brigades.

Is it actually affordable to now buy a house in these particular area's.  Is the cost driving away possible new members..creating a stagnate suburb.

(The word Stagnate seems to be being used more and more in CFS discussion, perculiar, id rather progressive and self-evolving)

Oh...and id consider this forum Rankless. (turns on some peaceful Powderfinger music and gets back to work...)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:13:15 PM by Zippy »

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 03:01:10 PM »

how many here have chosen their new house on the location of the CFS station
Quite a few of our members have come from other brigades and actually enquired first whether there would be a place in the brigade for them if they moved into the area.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 03:33:32 PM »
Yes i did that, although i knew they have to take tranfers you dont want to go in there being a pain in the rear and i had a choice of 2 houses in different brigades.... I should have seen who could come up with the best deal like a footy contract - front reserved carpark, new gear, drive every call, free drinks from the coke machine haha

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
Or you could just live anywhere...and serve the community you live in, by transfering to the local CFS, without being picky lol...

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 03:54:02 PM »
Or you could just live anywhere...and serve the community you live in, by transfering to the local CFS, without being picky lol...

Interesting I know of a number of brigades who have members who dont belong to the brigade closest to them, be it for a number of reasons; perhaps staying with original brigade after moving, wanting a specialty (eg RCR), fall-out with members, personality, seeing a bigger need for members at another brigade, being in a snr possition they dont want to loose, etc etc etc...

While it probably doesnt result in trucks getting out the door quickly when you have to drive past another stn when going to a call, if it results in ppl staying in the CFS and helping where they can its better than members leaving all together.

rescue5271

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »
I had a look at the new DVD today about recruitment that has been put out and I say well done to SAVFBA and CFS and Rag's for a Job well done... This DVD is well put together and its nice to see that a cross section of volunteers and cadets are in it... It was great to see that many younger members are in this dvd and I hope that brigade's will used this as part of open days....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 08:56:39 PM »

Interesting I know of a number of brigades who have members who dont belong to the brigade closest to them, be it for a number of reasons; perhaps staying with original brigade after moving, wanting a specialty (eg RCR), fall-out with members, personality, seeing a bigger need for members at another brigade, being in a snr possition they dont want to loose, etc etc etc...

While it probably doesnt result in trucks getting out the door quickly when you have to drive past another stn when going to a call, if it results in ppl staying in the CFS and helping where they can its better than members leaving all together.

If that is the case, why can't a new volunteer recruit join a CFS Brigade that is beyond the 6 minutes from vehicles ??
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

uniden

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 09:35:07 PM »
Some CFS brigades have their own rules as to who can join depending on where they live. For example within a certain distance or travelling time. Only a couple that I know of have this policy.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »
As far as i know it...it would be these particular people outside of direct response area, that may be beneficial for Strike Teams and Operational Support.  Oh and also when "More Crew Required" Drops.  That particular non-standard policy seems to contradict with good recruitment stategies and Volunteer retainment.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 11:35:05 PM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 09:40:24 AM »
Just watchout that you're not stripping members from other brigades that need them. For example, we have had issues in the past being able to get out the door within 6 minutes, especially during the day.

We have had people wishing to join, but coming from as far away as having to pass 3 stations to get to ours. We've refused them based on two reasons. One being, if they're that far away, they don't bring anything to a brigade that is already packed with people who live closer and the other being the smaller brigades that they have to pass really really need the members.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »
Some brigades work on the 3 minute policy if you cant reach the station in that time you are outside the circle.
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 11:08:59 PM »
3 minutes.....3 MINUTES.....! ouch. that would reduce our membership from 38ish to 20.  All are within 6mins, 95% within 3-5min.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 12:40:21 AM »
Some brigades work on the 3 minute policy if you cant reach the station in that time you are outside the circle.

HAHA

That would destroy our brigade. I'm double that from the station and make the first truck nearly all the time (obeying all speed limits and the school zone, of course ;) )

pumprescue

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2008, 11:34:59 AM »
I know we work on 6 mins for day time crew and 4 mins for night time crew, only for the fact that at night we have more people than you can poke a stick at, so its not worth recruiting people further away if they can only respond at night. During the day, as is the case everywhere, we would rather take 6 mins to get out than not at all, so we open the recruitment area a bit wider. Seems to work for us, as we have the books full at the moment.

Offline soiam

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2008, 03:26:50 PM »
I have been a member of this site for some time. I joined the site as I was intrested in volunteering and thought this may be a good way of getting an insight as to what was involved etc. Wellllll, what an eye opener, whilst there are some interesting and informative posts, it baffles me the amount of whining moaning and backbiting that goes on. It seems some people are more interested in stirring the pot and running others and their service down than actually making a valued contribution. I congratulate those of you who are so negative about the service that you CHOOSE to be a part of as it has put me off completely. I'm afraid no Recruitment Strategy could be effective with so much negativity floating around.

pumprescue

« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 04:12:55 PM »
I was a nice person 15 years ago. But hey, I still like fighting fires.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 05:59:07 PM »
I have been a member of this site for some time. I joined the site as I was intrested in volunteering and thought this may be a good way of getting an insight as to what was involved etc. Wellllll, what an eye opener, whilst there are some interesting and informative posts, it baffles me the amount of whining moaning and backbiting that goes on. It seems some people are more interested in stirring the pot and running others and their service down than actually making a valued contribution. I congratulate those of you who are so negative about the service that you CHOOSE to be a part of as it has put me off completely. I'm afraid no Recruitment Strategy could be effective with so much negativity floating around.

If you think this site is bad, holy hell stay away from brigades ;)

Mind you, the ratio of morons to knowledgeable people on this site is about 10000:1.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »

If you think this site is bad, holy filtered stay away from brigades ;)

Mind you, the ratio of morons to knowledgeable people on this site is about 10000:1.
So which side of the ratio are you from?  :wink:
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »
Getting back on Topic,We need to look at this from another point...how about that we try and get  those members who have left the service to come  back?? Find out why they left in the first place??  Or we need to target  people who are around during the day and those that don't want to fight fires but are able to help out with the radio/paperwork/PR and so on..   I have just come back from two days in the Adelaide hills and brigade's that I spoke to all said that day time crewing was a big problem and that the other service's in town also had the same problem. So what positive strategies are out there for brigade's?? Should we re install our fire sirens and start using them alot more so the community knows that we are short on crews?? Should WE ALL put aside our conflicks that we have with other members and try and get along for the better so that we can do our job.....

anything