Author Topic: Recruitment Strategies  (Read 36758 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment Strategies
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
RANT RANT RANT

EXACTLY, this is a huge problem in the CFS, along with people using rank like there is nothing else. In addition to this, people seem to think that once you work your way up the Brigade rank structure, you can 'retire' and work your way back down, when perhaps you should just step off all together.

I'd rather follow a white hat with years of experience than a yellow with a year or two. I still can't get my head around brigades voting people as captain after they have been around for only two or three years, but at the same time, if the need dictates it, then fair enough.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 06:57:22 PM »
The power is in the hands of the brigade.....if you don't like what the Captain / Lt /any other office holder is doing, then vote them out!!

I know often it is not just as simple as "vote him / her out" but it should be!!

Sometimes it does take effort by people within the brigade, to canvas the thoughts of others, and to identify a suitable candidate, and then put it to a vote at the next election.

It might also then force the incumbent, with his /her butt welded to seat of power to then step down gracefully, and without loosing face.  If you are sure you have enough support for the new candidate, then get someone to tell the incumbent nicely that the brigade are looking at a change...it allows that person to step down from there...if they don't take the hint, then they get dumped!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 07:03:32 PM »
If only it ever was as clean cut as that. Problems arise when more than half the brigade are in the club and change just doesn't occur. Its seems as though this is the case from the biggest of urban brigades to the smallest of country brigades.

If only brigades realised that no matter what you do, if the brigade as a whole are not willing to accept the new people, the brigade will stagnate and die a slow death of defaults and *MORE CREW REQUIRED pages.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
Well numbers i think the idea of Years=better leaders is completely wrong. I have been on trucks with people old enough to be my grandfather and probably fighting fires for most of their lives but there is know way i would let them on my truck.

One thing i have heard of but never witnessed is when the auxilleries arrive for the AGM and vote for the old member as it is the only person they know.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »
Well numbers i think the idea of Years=better leaders is completely wrong. I have been on trucks with people old enough to be my grandfather and probably fighting fires for most of their lives but there is know way i would let them on my truck.

One thing i have heard of but never witnessed is when the auxilleries arrive for the AGM and vote for the old member as it is the only person they know.

I never meant to say years served = better leaders, I was commenting on the rank structure and that the colour of your helmet means nothing in terms of your ability to lead or the respect you should be given.

A Lt. may ask me to do something, but if they have no idea, then perhaps that order will be treated as more of a suggestion. Its not like rank means much across the CFS anyhow, just look at the Captains of some brigades versus the white hat grunts of others.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »
i will agree with you numbers.

I have been recently elected to the position of captain at my brigade.  I probaly have less experience then then a lot of the urban fringe white hats.

Unfortunately there has been a stagnant in my brigade over the years and the position basically fell into my lap.  Having said that i am more than capable of taking on the position.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:09 AM »
As PIP,has said the power is in the hand vote them out,You talk about aux members showing up at the AGM what about the so called paid staff that still hold brigade positions of LT'S or those staff that you never see at training and only show up at the brigade election to have a vote then you never see them again till next year.......Come on CFS wake up and sort this kind of crap out once and for all. When members of a brigade i used to belong to joined the paid staff they where asked to stand down as brigade officer's from the RC or H/Q but yet in other parts of the state staff still hold RANK in a volunteer brigade....

pumprescue

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:48 AM »
I don't have an issue with paid staff having rank in brigades, so long as they pull their weight along with the other members, I do have an issue like Bill said of those that still insist on running for officer and then putting in a half hearted effort. I don't consider calling in on a training night training, and coming to calls when you feel like it, or calling in after the truck has left. But its up to brigade members to see this and vote accordingly.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 08:34:11 AM »
I don't have an issue with paid staff having rank in brigades, so long as they pull their weight along with the other members, I do have an issue like Bill said of those that still insist on running for officer and then putting in a half hearted effort. I don't consider calling in on a training night training, and coming to calls when you feel like it, or calling in after the truck has left. But its up to brigade members to see this and vote accordingly.

Amen to that :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »
One recruitment strategy that we dont see is the HIGH PROFILE we once had.
What has happened to the annual CFS parade we used to do in the city? Brigades from all over the state were involved in this at some stage and gave us a great profile to the public, and media.

Why is this not done anymore, its like we have buried our heads in the sand :evil:

Region Field days are starting to happen again which is good to see and also gets us out in the public view, which creates opportunities for brigades to recruit new members from their local area.

Competitions held are not on the scale they used to be and seems to be losing interest by brigades wanting to be involved.

If we are not actively out there, other than sticking a banner up on a couple of star droppers how will you generate interest, wait till the next big fire happens where the media reports regularly.We always seem to attract new members as a result of these.Why, because it has increased our profile.

Some brigades do PR events and other activities,which can also attract new members.

You have to ask why some of us live in an area where the population is thousands, but only a handful in the community is prepared to put their hand up to volunteer their time.

My thoughts anyway
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 05:58:09 PM »
Maybe Jeff we could do it when SES do their street parade???

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »
As PIP,has said the power is in the hand vote them out,You talk about aux members showing up at the AGM what about the so called paid staff that still hold brigade positions of LT'S or those staff that you never see at training and only show up at the brigade election to have a vote then you never see them again till next year.......Come on CFS wake up and sort this kind of crap out once and for all. When members of a brigade i used to belong to joined the paid staff they where asked to stand down as brigade officer's from the RC or H/Q but yet in other parts of the state staff still hold RANK in a volunteer brigade....

I belive that the rules are quite clear about who can and can't hold positions in brigades.
You cannot hold 2 ranks at the same time. Meaning if you hold a position of power up the food chain you cannot also hold a position lower in the food chain. If you hold no operational rank as a staff member then you can hold an operational position as a vollie.
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
but i believe you can be a "rank-less" paid staff (eg. State Air Desk etc), and still be an officer as part of a brigade.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »

I belive that the rules are quite clear about who can and can't hold positions in brigades.
You cannot hold 2 ranks at the same time. Meaning if you hold a position of power up the food chain you cannot also hold a position lower in the food chain. If you hold no operational rank as a staff member then you can hold an operational position as a vollie.

Tell ya right now, I could list off half a dozen higly ranked members who are also briagde officers.. - What looks good on paper, isn't always practical on the street!!

Offline Fox Mulder

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:53 PM »
Are they operational. Ie take part in a duty officer position within a region?
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE

rescue5271

« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 08:23:37 PM »
YES they are.....

pumprescue

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 11:07:52 AM »

All the research I have done suggests that if your an operational staff member you can hold any rank up to Captain. Can you clarify if this has been changed recently and point me/us in the right direction of an an article or COSO that shows this. Thanks.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 11:32:54 AM »
But doesn't include Captain....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline K55

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »
but i believe you can be a "rank-less" paid staff (eg. State Air Desk etc), and still be an officer as part of a brigade.

Operational paid staff are officers in there own respect eg. Staff Officers, SCC Support Officers's

Offline Hicksflat14

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »

CFS and MFS staff can hold an officer position in a brigade or group, all they need to do is get it approved by the relevant people.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
Affirm.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
Affirm.

Yeh i'm thinking of a bloke out .........Echunga way!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »

CFS and MFS staff can hold an officer position in a brigade or group, all they need to do is get it approved by the relevant people.

Same policy in SES as well.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2008, 02:35:45 AM »
Some of your recruitment strategies come down to how attractive is your brigade to new members?

If the general community thinks the brigade a bunch of "old farts" who wouldn't know the first thing about dealing with an emergency, then the brigade is unlikely to gain too many new members (although it may just attract more of the same!!)

The truth about the brigade, and the perception of the community may also be miles apart!!

<big snippo>
Pip

As usual, Pip has hit the nail on the head.  For us, anyway.
Especially the truth vs. perception bit.
Also some community interaction/ownership stuff that we are working on.

Have, over some time, been working up a "new residents information pack".
Includes pointed reference to absence of paid fire-fighting sevice in the district.
Also useful phone numbers - fire permits, capt, hotline, region, etc., summaries of
"stay or go early", brigade info, fire restrictions, etc.   8 colour pages in a $2
display binder.  Initial feedback is good.

Fiddling with a specific recruitment hand-out for elections & etc. 
The CFS HQ one is, in our opinion, ill-conceived. 
Or at least, inappropriate to our demographics. 

Personal interaction essential in all of this. 
Without it, the paperwork is junk mail.
People are getting better at filtering out impersonal advertising.

Have been looking at fire development demo videos on youtube & the like. eg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwpqNc0Hxig
Very do-able.
The smoke detector message being a natural carrier for the "join us" message.

Oh, and a press gang was a recruiting strategy used unofficially & illegally pre-1900
by some Royal Navy captains.  At the time, RN hands' conditions were even worse than
Australian or UK call-centres, and with a much higher likelihood of becoming dead or
maimed. So they'd send out a bunch of blokes with cudgels on the night before sailing to "recruit" any shortfall in crew from solitary drinkers departing bars. By the time
the recruits recovered consciousnes, the ship would be well off-shore.  There may be a
good reason why it wouldn't work for the CFS but I can't quite put my finger on it...
 :-P

Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
Some brigades recruitment strategy is to induct more members into the "Boys Club Hall of Fame" :-P

Oh well....
Images are copyright