Author Topic: 24 for dummies  (Read 17252 times)

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
24 for dummies
« on: August 11, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
It's a working title....Not everyone learns by watching, and even less of us remember by doing things just once. Has anyone within their brigade created written training materials for new and existing members? I'm thinking about things specific to each brigade that one might want to know. Making things foolproof, or more fool proof than currently is the case.

Maybe another title could be 'Beyond BFF1'....

Some aspects might include
Where things are stowed and what they look like/what they are used for
How to prime/pump
Steps for burnover procedure (specific to the appliance)
BA related checks/procedures
Radio procedures and prowords
Etc etc

Is anyone out there trying to make it as easy as possible for people to do these things by supporting learning with written materials that members can take home, read and stick on the back of their toilet door to memorise?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: 24 for dummies
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 03:13:26 PM »
Yeah, its a really good idea. Especially the fact that no two appliances are alike in pump setup or general stowage. I've tried to put some things together in the past, but sadly they have all died a slow death.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 03:48:58 PM »
Good for you! Shame they have died a slow death, I guess like all training materials they need constant updating as you get new equipment etc and it takes someone to put aside a fair amount of time to update it all.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 05:30:50 PM »
Try wombat 34 or 33 forget which one, he's usually good for training prompts, well he'd better be :wink:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »
I for one would be a tad worried if he wasn't...

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 06:46:30 PM »
Do you Guy's & Gal's have vehcile stock lists in each vehicle. The lists contain what equipment is where.

Always was a good start for a probie to complete the vehicle stock check before training with an experienced member. They learn what each piece of equipment looks like, where it is & how to check it.

Sometimes learning comes with repetition & physical hands-on rather than reading a book.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:22:05 PM »
Yeah, we have them in each locker, and make the new guys go through and work everything out (with help when needed of course)

I had tried to bring in a very easy, very basic 'exam' (where things were, what they did and how the pump worked) but that got shot down as being unnecessary...

Go figure.

Offline littlejohn

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 09:11:25 PM »
We couldn't find any stowage lists for our trucks, so started by getting one group to pull everything out of the lockers on one side of the truck and document it.

That group would swap with a group who'd done the same on the other side, and check off items as they were repacked.

Someone had already taken photos of the packed lockers, laminated them and stuck them to the inside of the locker door which helped.

This proved to be a good way to teach new (and remind old) crew where things are stored.
By having an older hand floating about, they could explain what items were used for.

I would like to document a few more training sessions so that successful and productive sessions can be run by someone else later. If anyone has any they would be willing to share, I'd be grateful!!!

I've made a start, but am not very good at putting things is a succinct and clear format on paper. More practise required I guess. I could also benefit from some more ideas for training sessions (so again, any suggestions would be great!).

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
We couldn't find any stowage lists for our trucks, so started by getting one group to pull everything out of the lockers on one side of the truck and document it.

That group would swap with a group who'd done the same on the other side, and check off items as they were repacked.

Someone had already taken photos of the packed lockers, laminated them and stuck them to the inside of the locker door which helped.

This proved to be a good way to teach new (and remind old) crew where things are stored.
By having an older hand floating about, they could explain what items were used for.

I would like to document a few more training sessions so that successful and productive sessions can be run by someone else later. If anyone has any they would be willing to share, I'd be grateful!!!

I've made a start, but am not very good at putting things is a succinct and clear format on paper. More practise required I guess. I could also benefit from some more ideas for training sessions (so again, any suggestions would be great!).

Every Monday night before training commences we do vehicle checks which also helps the probies know where everything is on the appliances.
As part of training some nights we will select someone at random to get something from an appliance to see if they remembered where it was stowed.

The best way to keep interest and also operate the pumps on each appliance, works well for us.
As we all know nothing is standard anymore with the mismatch of appliances we have. :mrgreen:
Images are copyright

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
when i was with CFS one of the groups i was in every 24 was set up the same way and even most of the brigades around us were the same i was amazed at how i could get things from other trucks with out having to look for it move house 80 kms and its different i thought CFS had standards of stowage for each appliance

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 06:45:39 PM »
when i was with CFS one of the groups i was in every 24 was set up the same way and even most of the brigades around us were the same i was amazed at how i could get things from other trucks with out having to look for it move house 80 kms and its different i thought CFS had standards of stowage for each appliance

Yes, there is a list of the standard stowage for the appliance but as for how/where it is stowed, it is pretty much open slather. There are basics which seem to be followed service wide, eg: Nearside middle has BA, nearside rear has hoses, but even these are open to interpretation.

It's hard to keep a standard when brigade have different needs for different equipment. Use BA a lot? Then the BA and entry tools are going to be easier to get to than on other appliances that may not place such an emphasis on these pieces of equipment.

Then look at the different appliances and configuration of appliances. Two identical 24's are tough to come by in some parts of the state.

This doesn't even begin to take into consideration 'unofficial' brigade specific modifications and alterations.

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
thatas fair enough but still the principl is the same just adapt around it as you said BA brigades taht use BA alot have it a bit different but there is no reason as to why they should stray away from standard stowage

for an example lockers numbered 1 to 12 starting behind pasanger ba in locker 3 and 4 on your truck and in 3and 4 on my truck will be ba then add some extras but keep the base layout the same

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 07:36:32 PM »
keep the base layout the same

Our 24 only has lockers on the near side, there is a single locker behind the cab on the off side and it carries no BA sets. There is so much difference between builds of the individual appliance designations that it is near impossible to have a standard.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 08:19:09 AM »
At least that was something the late Don Macarthur did address while he was CEO...standardisation of appliances, well the first series Hino's anyway :-P
Images are copyright

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
this was found in NSW in 1994 when the RFS did have standard layout including some trucks not even having the same pump set up every truck i have been involved in setting up when it arrives at a station received a basic layout plan.

CFS are shooting them selves in the foot by giving each station a different truck i understand some stations need pumpers and some need a 24 or 14 but each type of appliance should have a basic lay out

24 is done this way
a 24 special another way so on and so forth CFS need a plan and stick with it dont keep changing lay outs     

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
Your forgetting one thing and this was a motto that was on a wall in Region 1 back in the 90's "Constant change is here to stay" :?
Images are copyright

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2008, 01:34:18 PM »
I think you need to realise that every brigade has diffrent people and so diffrent ideas about wear to store stuff. We will never get standard apliances as we cant afford to build heaps at once.
Lastly we wouldn;t want this as buy building a new batch each year we are able to keep improving diffrent aspects. (well in theory that is true  :-P but it is CFS wea re talkign about) 

Offline 029

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2008, 02:37:47 PM »
It doesnt have to be an identical truck just the basic storage the same so that if you go on a strike team or task force you should know providing you work with the same truck at home what the basic lay out is.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:45:02 PM »
It doesnt have to be an identical truck just the basic storage the same so that if you go on a strike team or task force you should know providing you work with the same truck at home what the basic lay out is.

If your truck goes on a strike team...you might have more gear when it gets back... or worse...less gear.   Simply happens everytime.

On kangaroo Island, the truck our composite crew chose to use pretty much, had squat all hose AFTER 30mins (other crew's pinched it for there own appliances)...so we pretty much had to do a bit of pinching it back.

90 metres short for a particular hoselay...sigh!

anything