Author Topic: BFF1  (Read 16837 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: BFF1
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2008, 10:12:43 AM »
ropes (Unit 2) - a list of knots to tie and no reference to either a fire ground practice or EMA general rescue guidelines just tick a box section. The learning material described tying knots not the type of rope and the application differ from the EMA general rescue guidelines.
improvised rescue (Unit 9) - again the same as for the ropes

Now for a question unit 11 where a primary entry needs to be performed. how do brigade that are not road crash rescue meet this requirement if they don't have the tools to begin with.

99% of CFS appliances only carry general purpose rope that is not designed to be used in rope rescue applications. As long as this is made aware to people whilst the ropes, knots and lines section is being taught then I can't see an issue. The use of ropes knots and lines is an integral part of firefighting and their applications in the field are enormous. There should be more taught than just 'here are some knots' but way back when, when I was taught, the person doing the training made sure that we knew the various applications of the knots we were tying.

Those brigades who use ropes and associated equipment for rescue are made well aware of the types of ropes, their limitations and uses.

As for primary entry into a car. ALL brigades have a Hooligan or a Halligan with a pike don't they? All brigades should have a pair of multi grips in their tool box? All brigades have an axe don't they? All of these standard tools can be used to gain access to a car. Adapt and overcome.

I think the knots in CFS are just meant to be handy knots that you can use and ar not meant to be of a "rescue" since i know I would be calling SES (or closest appropriate resource) for any complex rescue.

Some of the knots taught are 'handy' knots, but most of them have specific firefighting applications for hauling gear aloft, securing hose at height, securing tarps etc. Some of the knots taught, at even a basic BFF 1 level are used for life rescue work. Bowlines, and the makeshift sling illustrated are both things that can be used in a pinch to lower someone from a small height. Firefighting is all about improvisation and getting the job done.

Bittenyakka I hope that you know the capabilities of your local CFS brigades, in your area it would pay to call them rather than the 'local' SES units.

The BFF1 course may not be perfect,but its certainly an improvement over its predecessor,with some of the modules being nationally accredited its a far cry from the dads army training, that most of the senior(aged) posters on this site ,myself included suffered through in our early years.
AS our service evolves, so will the training,it would be no easy feat to keep the deliverable modules relevant,affordable and compact enough so you boofheads aren't gripeing about them being TOO long.

The BFF 1 is great, in terms of subject matter and standard, compared to what has been previously taught. You're right about modules having to hit a sweet spot of covering information and keeping interest. Although its a bit sad to see some parts of the 'old days' training, and basic firemanship being forgotten and left behind, in favour of perhaps more theory based training.

It seems that some people in this thread consider anything that isn't of a 'national standard' to be useless interms of training. Just because a course hasn't been designed to fall within the format of the national standard modules, then it doesn't mean that the subject matter taught is useless.

The two most important things I was every taught are:

"Adapt and overcome"
"Achieve the task"

Simple really. If the book needs to be ignored and thrown out to achieve the best possible outcome, then so be it. We (emergency services) need to create a nurturing learning environment where people are taught the basics and are given the skills to the adapt and change these basics to the incident that is being attended. Too many times on these boards you see people restraining their actions because of what they have been taught. People need to be encouraged to think outside the square, not just within the constraints of their Nationally Accredited Module.

I'm not saying that the PSTP is useless or that things shouldn't be done that way, I am merely suggesting that there is more to our craft that what is taught in our easy to digest modules.

Part of the problem also lies with people who are so willing to jump all over other who may not have done things the 'right' way. Just look at half the posts on these boards.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2008, 10:41:37 AM »
AAAHHHH Numbers you are so right again!........but....you left out two very important lessons you no doubt were taught!

"adapt and overcome" correct
  "achieve the task" correct

And now the ommitted lessons you no doubt learnt.

"eat ya vegies" and
  "listen to your parents" :-D with those four lessons you got it made in the shade!!

Cheers Jaff

Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline loopylou

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »
As a T/A it never ceases to amaze me how much people will whinge and gripe about things. BF1 is designed to give you basic skills in all areas so that you have an understanding of all areas of CFS duties. So get over it and just do the course. Everybody complains about having to do induction at a new job or OH+S training on a regular basis, but you still do it don't you??
I admit that i don't agree totally on the format of the BF1 course, however, changes ARE being made at the moment, and it will remain to be seen wether things improve from a content point of view or not. In regards to length of course, i'm afraid that you're just going to have to grin and bear it. In the long run it looks like it's going to get longer, but with more pre-course work to do before attending the course proper. Personally i have co-ordinated and instructed on several courses in the past couple of years and not heard one complaint from the students (apart from the obvious mistakes - driptorch fuel ratio etc,) Get some decent engaging instructors with charisma on your courses and the students will love doing the course. Maybe it's just the case that all you old hands have the problem with course. How about you stop complaining, and start embracing the ideas and the efforts that are put into providing better skills to new members and a better service to the community.

Anyway, didn't mean to offend anyone just got a bit carried away etc.
I hate people being critical, and not actual being helpful. :-)

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2008, 07:02:06 PM »
The people I have spoken too over the past year or so all agree bf1 is the best and there is nothing wrong with having to do it over 3 days,I like the bf1 and think its great but they just need to have some sort of consistences across the state in how it can be delivered....and at what level can some of it be done at home/brigade/group/on line.....

Offline Footy

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 29, 2008, 06:47:37 AM »
Keeping students engaged. and keeping up with the needs of learners is a constant battle for teachers,let alone instructors who spend their time doing something other than teaching the same course everyday,yet are expected to come in and teach a very diverse group of learners on a course.

I dont think the issue is with how it is taught, it just needs to be continually reviewed so that it stays relevant for all concerned (instructors and students)

anything