Author Topic: Uniforms - Blue Workshirts!!!  (Read 26519 times)

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Uniforms - Blue Workshirts!!!
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2005, 01:47:01 AM »
I think that there isnt much of a need to make to work shirts nomex, I think that Hard Yakka would provide enough protection and it is more than likely alot cheaper than nomex.
Although nomex privides a little more protection I think cost wise it would be a little expensive and not all brigades/groups would purchases then due to this reason.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

strikeathird

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2005, 01:54:56 AM »
No way would I wear it if it wasn't made of Nomex.. May as well a Flannalett!

Think about it, you are facing grass fire, like you go to know, with a nomex work shirt, currently your turnout gear is nomex (well, hopefully) - Why downgrade??

The work shirts will be more practical, and frankly, i dont give a sh*t about $$$ when lives / personal injury is at stake !

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2005, 11:05:31 AM »
I think the idea is that the "work shirt" does not get used for frontline firefighting.

With that in mind, I wear the old polo top under my turnout gear at every other fire i go to, and i dont see much difference between that and a hard yakka style shirt.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »
The only difference - the material they are mate from??? Polyester/polo shirts melts at lower temps than  cotton/yaka work shirts!

Although if you are that close that it makes a difference you may have a few other issues to think about apart from your undergarments!!!!!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »
Ah, just on the firehouse, fire shed, fire station thing......

I don't care how stingy it is or what it is made of, I think we should all operate out of fire "stations".

(Wearing lovely blue work shirts adorned with the traditional fiire star)   :-D
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2005, 05:58:17 PM »
No way would I wear it if it wasn't made of Nomex.. May as well a Flannalett!  Think about it, you are facing grass fire, like you go to know, with a nomex work shirt, currently your turnout gear is nomex (well, hopefully) - Why downgrade??

They Are Not Talking About Fighting The Fire In The Work Shirt. PPE Still To Be Worn, Only When Mopping Up (Threat To Life Is Gone) Are They Talking About Wearing The Work Shirt.

Hell I Am Happy WithThe Fire Rescue Tops. It Would Be Good To Have The Nomex Shirts But I Don't See It As A Cost That The CFS Needs.  If They Were To Buy One Fire Rescue Or Hard Yakka Top Each For Its Members I Think Most People Would Wear Them.

rescue5271

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2005, 09:14:00 PM »
My brigade is just getting these blue shirts at a cost of $25 paid by the brigade and to be used for training and Pr work mind you it would be nice to wear at RCR jobs....

corocfs

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 09:17:09 PM »
can you give us the details bill... id be interested in following it up for (if nothing else) our competitions team uniform.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 09:37:20 PM »
Drop Rex an email at [email protected] He can help you with a huge range of CFS clothing. Arpajen supply the state training centre with all their gear. Work wear and station Wear.

corocfs

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 10:06:00 PM »
cheers

strikeathird

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 11:11:37 PM »
(Note - In regards to anything i say about NOMEX work shirts, I am meaning using or getting the NOMEX work shirts for Operational Use)..

In regards to the work shirts, (Nomex, like MFS)  -  Ithink it is an option to look at, for wearing at Grass fires and RCR.

For example, you would have your PBI or Nomex Pants, and the work shirt for the above mentioned jobs.

That is a way of getting around having 2 sets of gear (for those with PBI) , as you cant wear your full PBI set at grassys - but with a Nomex work shirt, I think it would be okay..   Otherwise you would cook.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2005, 04:12:15 PM »
Does anyone know if NOMEX work shirts are approved by CFS?

corocfs

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2005, 06:44:15 PM »
negative on that

strikeathird

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2005, 10:40:01 PM »
Does anyone know if NOMEX work shirts are approved by CFS?

I think they are for the MFS, but not the CFS.

Wagon 1

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2005, 10:52:33 PM »
Yep, double standards again.

strikeathird

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2005, 10:57:26 PM »
hmmm.. Seems like there is alot of that.

corocfs

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2005, 11:25:18 PM »
i dont think tis just a matter of that...

i think its mainly two services wanting to promote two differant images to the public... uniform wise that is.
i mean... Nomex shirts are a good idea... but you could say that to the public a firefighter wearing his pants and a shirt dsoez look like they are only half-dressed...

neway,

has anyone ever actually approached the CFS formally with this idea? not just kicked it around the station or forum like this? if you approached the comittee with the appropriate material to offer them, im sure some progress would be made... just wondering if anyione has

strikeathird

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2005, 11:45:22 PM »
I personally couldn't give a toss what the public think.  If it is not only practical, but also safer, who cares.  (But I do see what you mean).

corocfs

« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2005, 12:02:17 AM »
yeah i dont care what the pubic think when they see me at the job.. however the CFS as an organisation does...  :roll:

oh well...

neone got any info on wether a request has ever actually been put forward formally for blue work shirts?

strikeathird

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2005, 12:28:36 AM »
I heard around the traps a while ago that it had been mentioned, but don't believe it got any where...

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2005, 01:10:18 PM »
The only isue I see with a work shirt - what are you wearing under your turn out pants - MFS have woolen trousers/uniform pants - this ensures should sparks et all go down that their legs are protected (as the shirt is under the pants braces)

This would be an issue for CFS - people wear lots of different things under their PPE.

Also, is we are then going to go to work pants extra $$$$ or if we wear it on the outsid of the braces - what do you wear under it to stop rubbing, and if you are wearing it on the outside, why not juust wear a PPE jacket - they are about as cool as Nomex shirts with a t-shirt under neath  :-D

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2005, 01:17:43 PM »
This is no longer the case. Since PBI was introduced my understanding is that woolen pants are no longer required due to the turnout pants being sufficient protection.

In fact I did hear that during summer SAMFS may be wearing shorts in the station.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2005, 01:20:12 PM »
Makes you wonder then, with a turn out shirt, like MFS wear, that is worn beneath the braces, what happens when the body gets showered with sparks, embers, dropping burning material from trees - it goes straight down the front , between the shirt and pants and onto the legs ......... now theres a good idea :evil:

strikeathird

« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2005, 11:54:23 PM »
Makes you wonder then, with a turn out shirt, like MFS wear, that is worn beneath the braces, what happens when the body gets showered with sparks, embers, dropping burning material from trees - it goes straight down the front , between the shirt and pants and onto the legs ......... now theres a good idea :evil:

You toughen up and put the fire out quicker.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2005, 08:58:11 AM »
Now theres a good thought!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

You should write the SOP on that - might help both fire services  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

anything