Author Topic: Looking to the future  (Read 13143 times)

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to the future
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Yeah I was going to mention that NSWFB & RFS are in the same towns but not the same stations but I thought it was a minor thing :wink:
And you are dead right on the skills maintenance thing, but if thats the way it is I guess people will go with the flow or vote with their feet.
Anyway I guess its a case of wait & see.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:07 PM »
Well the version 2 MCT's can send custom text messages back to Adelaide fire, and by far are easier to read.  Pretty much a windows interface.

Integrated GPS...scheiße yeh i hope that happens.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2008, 02:16:05 PM »
Well the version 2 MCT's can send custom text messages back to Adelaide fire, and by far are easier to read.  Pretty much a windows interface.

Integrated GPS...filtered yeh i hope that happens.

Sounds grouse, but would it be that useful? I'm not sure how often custom text would be that useful, radio seems to be easier?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
you could send abuse back to adelaide fire hehe...

it would be useful if you had canned messages like:  "HICKS FLAT-14(TG124/146): ANY MORE CALL INFO???"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 02:42:47 PM by Zippy »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »
Great, I'll stick another another piece of equipment onto the dash (in between all those dashboard stickers we have now) which only works in a small portion of my area....

I'd prefer to have the money for an MDT or MCT or whatever you want to call it, and spend it on something useful for the brigade!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »
Yeah I was going to mention that NSWFB & RFS are in the same towns but not the same stations but I thought it was a minor thing :wink:

cheers

Yeah thats what i meant. the last post came out wrong :oops:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2008, 04:02:18 PM »
Pretty much a windows interface.

ooh, yuk!

In the future, I'd like to see SAMFS and SACFS merge so we can get rid of the cross service incompatibilities and the "us vs them" attitude.

I also agree about having clear Rural / Urban / Rescue training separations, but it would also be good to add further separation between urban and rural brigades.

I think we could also improve a lot by working closer with the other services, (SAPol, SAAS, SES, DEH, even security companies), so we can waste less volunteer's time and improve our service to the community.

As far as M(?)T's in trucks go, and can see them being very useful for Urban fringe brigades, as communication tools, navigation tools, but also to store and display localised information, (pre-plans for urban or water points for rural).

Isn't it nice to dream?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2008, 04:34:33 PM »
Oziexplorer on a MCT, now that is a nice Dream to have and is very possible these days!

Instant waterpoint information in the rural fireground at your fingertips....MMMMMM

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
Oziexplorer on a MCT, now that is a nice Dream to have and is very possible these days!

Instant waterpoint information in the rural fireground at your fingertips....MMMMMM

Working On this with someone right now and very close to having it up and running  :-D

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »

Working On this with someone right now and very close to having it up and running  :-D

same,  using a typical HP GPS navigation console (bluetooth phone integration as well)

uniden

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 05:32:24 PM »
Pretty much a windows interface.

ooh, yuk!

In the future, I'd like to see SAMFS and SACFS merge so we can get rid of the cross service incompatibilities and the "us vs them" attitude.

That is always going to be there paid vs retained vs vollies. There will always be that division, not to mention the urban areas in region 1 and 2 getting the best of the best when it comes to equipment and the rest getting the hand me downs...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 07:45:34 PM by CFS_Firey »

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
If only Don Dunstan did go ahead with building a new city in area of Monarto....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2008, 06:35:43 PM »

Other states are doing this and have been for years! Why Fire services around Australia are so very afraid of sharing information and procedures, I don't know!

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2008, 09:32:32 PM »
That is always going to be there paid vs retained vs vollies. There will always be that division, not to mention the urban areas in region 1 and 2 getting the best of the best when it comes to equipment and the rest getting the hand me downs...

I was actually referring to the mentality that some CFS people seem to have that "we can't do that because then we'll look like the mets", even if its the better option.  There will always be divisions within the service, no matter what...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2008, 09:36:40 PM »

My god, you have to be kidding. "The best of the best" Have you looked at where most of the new appliances are going? To the sticks buddy, to the sticks. Meanwhile, Region 1 and 2 scream for gear, trucks and positions on courses.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2008, 11:08:23 PM »
There will always be that division, not to mention the urban areas in region 1 and 2 getting the best of the best when it comes to equipment and the rest getting the hand me downs...

Whooaa there big fella, you wouldn't want to say that in our station around our guys. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for us to see a brigade in Region 3 doing 7 calls a year recieve a brand new appliance when we have a 17 year old 24 doing 160 runs a year and strike teams galore that CFS won't replace.

If you can do the math to justify giving a brigade that does less than 15 calls a year a $250,000 brand new vehicle then you are better than I, yes that brigade needs something that is reliable and suitable for their area, but surely there is better way to dish out appliances funded with public money.

As for courses - dont get started there either. We have 3 brigades in our group who do a total of about 1000 calls year - mostly Urban related yet, we still can't get anyone on a BA course.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 11:10:33 PM by mattb »

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 08:28:13 AM »
There will always be that division, not to mention the urban areas in region 1 and 2 getting the best of the best when it comes to equipment and the rest getting the hand me downs...

Whooaa there big fella, you wouldn't want to say that in our station around our guys. I can't tell you how frustrating it is for us to see a brigade in Region 3 doing 7 calls a year recieve a brand new appliance when we have a 17 year old 24 doing 160 runs a year and strike teams galore that CFS won't replace.

If you can do the math to justify giving a brigade that does less than 15 calls a year a $250,000 brand new vehicle then you are better than I, yes that brigade needs something that is reliable and suitable for their area, but surely there is better way to dish out appliances funded with public money.

As for courses - dont get started there either. We have 3 brigades in our group who do a total of about 1000 calls year - mostly Urban related yet, we still can't get anyone on a BA course.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Hey Matt, I feel for you guys, sometimes I think appliance designation is pulled out of a hat rather than logical thinking.You guys should at least have a "Type 2" as well and a 34 would be good for your brigade also in my opinion.

Problem currently is the rural brigades that currently have 24's, are now screaming for 34's to get that extra 1000 litres, and Regions will end up with a lot of 24's noone wants in the end.   
Images are copyright

pumprescue

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 08:34:57 AM »
I like the idea of busy brigades having MCT's, when your turning out 3-400 times a year how much easier to have a button, rather than gibbering on constantly, you could also run most of those urban fringe brigades on 150, not sure why we are so precious about radio channels.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
I like the idea of busy brigades having MCT's, when your turning out 3-400 times a year how much easier to have a button, rather than gibbering on constantly, you could also run most of those urban fringe brigades on 150, not sure why we are so precious about radio channels.

If I remember rightly didnt Smithfield, now Dalkeith have a MDT at one stage on trial?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:23:03 AM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

uniden

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
I should clarify that what I said about region 1 and 2 vs the rest of the state is not happenning now. I believe the rest of SA would get shafted if one fire service was to formed.
I agree that any CFS brigades doing less than 30 calls a year should only get refurbished appliances and not brand new ones. Unless there are special circumstances, ie RCR brigades that need an appliance with lockers that are user friendly for lifting heavy equipment etc.

At the moment you have appliances that are getting retired with maybe 20,000 km on the clock after 20 plus years while the busy brigades have 8 year old trucks with plenty more km on them. Like Salisbury and Morphett Vale I am guessing. There needs to be a bit of a rotation program for the appliances. I belive something along those lines happens in CFA, Bill??

Sorry if i offended anyone..

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Im sure your not offending anyone,  Afterall, we arent in control of what we're talking about..."its the paid staffs job"

Rotation System, Great Idea!   Mt Graham 34???  Rust is going to kill it before it gets anywhere else.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 02:52:59 PM by Zippy »

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 03:21:01 PM »
At the moment you have appliances that are getting retired with maybe 20,000 km on the clock after 20 plus years while the busy brigades have 8 year old trucks with plenty more km on them. Like Salisbury and Morphett Vale I am guessing.

Out of interest Morphett Vale 24P is now 9 years old and has done 28,000 kms, Morphett Vale 24 is 17 years old and is about to crack 60,000 kms. Not much for a truck I know, but seems to be a fair bit in the CFS. You see 20 year old vehicles go to auction with around 25,000kms on them.

If I remember rightly didnt Smithfield, now Dalkeith have a MDT at one stage on trial?

Dalkeith and Belair each had one in their stations in the late 90's as part of a trial, they got pulled out because MFS needed them for spare parts for their own units. I would expect to see MCT's in the urban fringe brigades but not in the rural areas. As it is at the moment the network only extends 100km's from the CBD anyway.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 03:31:50 PM »
Twice above the CFS standard auction km level?!  :-o

Geez mate, i hear you! About time you get some new trucks!

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2008, 05:42:30 PM »
I should clarify that what I said about region 1 and 2 vs the rest of the state is not happenning now. I believe the rest of SA would get shafted if one fire service was to formed.
I agree that any CFS brigades doing less than 30 calls a year should only get refurbished appliances and not brand new ones. Unless there are special circumstances, ie RCR brigades that need an appliance with lockers that are user friendly for lifting heavy equipment etc.

At the moment you have appliances that are getting retired with maybe 20,000 km on the clock after 20 plus years while the busy brigades have 8 year old trucks with plenty more km on them. Like Salisbury and Morphett Vale I am guessing. There needs to be a bit of a rotation program for the appliances. I belive something along those lines happens in CFA, Bill??

Sorry if i offended anyone..

You're still pretty off base with appliance ages and the work they've done, there are many busy R1 and R2 brigades with multiple appliances over 15 years old. I would LOVE an appliance under 10 years old.

I don't see why the busiest brigades around the state can't get new appliances every 5 years with their old ones being rotated out to quieter brigades. This allows appliances to be used less as they get older, putting less strain on an already old machine. There is no use having 20 year old appliances getting flogger up and down hills every second day.

Not to mention the PR aspect of having good looking, new trucks in busy urban fringe areas to help combat the widespread idea that we are all bushfire fighting dads army types.

anything