Author Topic: Oxygen & AED stowage  (Read 39598 times)

misterteddy

Re: Oxygen & AED stowage
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2009, 09:50:14 PM »
Does anyone have a completed CFS risk assesment for the stowage and use of Oxygen Therapy equipment.

I know that a number of brigades are carrying it so I assume that someone has probably done a risk assesment at some stage on it. I am trying to avoid re-inventing the wheel, if someone else would be kind enough to send me theirs it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

contact the RCR Training Officer at Brukunga. As the CFS provide it for RCR crews, then there should be a CFS'ified version already available that u can modify for any unique situations that might affect ur Brigade. If they cant find one or tell you there isnt one....then obviously its not a requirement and refer the person asking for one for you, to the CFS Training Dept for the definitive guidance.

Failing all that, if you have to do one as a Brigade, and want a hand with it, let me know

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »
Thanks to those that have assisted me with this project, as a result we are now carrying an 02 Therapy kit and an AED on Morphett Vale 24P and Morphett Vale 24. For info we went with the Defibtech Lifeline AED, and the NEANN-OBR 02 kit.

After having completed and Senior First Aid refresher and an Advanced Resus course on the weekend I can say that the Advanced Resus was definitely the most useful and more interesting. No offence to St John but I think the course could easily be made more interesting and relevant (I know they are trying to cater for the whole community but really how much bandaging have we ever done). At least it is now only one day for an initial or refresher.

The instructor for our Advanced Resus focused on what we need to know as first responders, and the sort of things that we would actually expect to be doing, all of the guys came away from that saying that course was better than any of the first aid courses we have done.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2009, 03:35:03 PM »
Good to hear Matt, did those companies provide the training as well or was that outsourced?

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »
The supplier of the AED and 02 equipment also did the training.

misterteddy

« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
looks good in its new home Matt...well done on all your hard work to get it for your Brigade....let's hope you never have to use it...lol

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »
Matt,...good job, earlier you asked as to any other brigades had done a risk assessment on this equipment?
Had a previous risk assessment been done that you could use as justification, for your own brigades placement, or did you need to carry out one yourself?
AED's as I understand it have already been approved for brigades to carry, if purchased by themselves, has the question been asked as to whether oxygen will now follow suit?
Can you give us all an idea of what hoops your brigade had to jump through, to get it accepted?

Cheers Jaff
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2009, 10:31:14 AM »
My brigade have also just added O2 to its AED Package.   It goes on the first responding appliance.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2009, 12:04:53 PM »
The process really isn't that involved, the hardest part is convincing the Group that we need the gear and working out who is going to pay for the kits, the training, the annual servicing, the cylinders and the ongoing re-accreds each year. Once we worked that out the Group Officers were happy to support it.

The next step is to get a 'Prescribed Equipment Form 2' completed and signed by your Group Officer, that then goes to the Regional Commander who then signs off on it and it goes to the Infrastructure and Logistics gurus, once they are happy with your what your are purchasing and how you are going to stow it you can then place an order. As we were using some money left over from the AED grants we had a few other things to sort out but the whole process took a couple of months from the time we got serious about it to the time we completed the training and put the gear on the trucks.

We were also fortunate enough to obtain a previous risk assessment that had been conducted by someone at Region One, fortunately it was for the same kits as we purchased so required very little alteration.

As for other brigades purchasing 02 therapy gear I guess it depends where you are as to how likely your Regional Commander is to sign off on it. Our Group Officer had some discussions with with the Regional Commander prior to our application and he now seems happy with the concept, other R.C's might not feel the same way though.

As for the AED's, they are approved to go, there is an email from the Chief with his permission to carry these. However because they generally cost over $1500 you will still need the approval of your Region to purchase them.

After conducting the training on the weekend and undertaking a fair bit of research into AED's and how they work I am pretty comfortable that our brigade has spent the money wisely. I can see a huge benefit to the community and the CFS if these are widely deployed on fire service vehicles. It will only be a matter of time before a life is saved with this gear.

Darren

« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2009, 10:42:53 PM »
We at Happy Valley also had 2 new O2 kits approved at the same time as Morphett Vale, we didn't do anything different in our submission than we did the other half a dozen times, it seems that the change in Region 1 commander has made a change in attitudes to this equipment, or maybe it was just a coincidence.
We haven't gone for the AED yet, we are very please about the O2, as we have so many documented times that it could have been used, so this will come in very handy.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:46 PM »
Sounds like a good Win Darren. Well done.

I understand your the EO there, definately a good 'notch' of acomplishment to add to the belt!

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:58 PM »
I can't see why it took a long time. A few brigades around the state have had this equipment for many years.
Brigades know what they need, why can't others