Author Topic: "Female Firefighters" vs Firefighters in the Media  (Read 27239 times)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
"Female Firefighters" vs Firefighters in the Media
« on: January 03, 2005, 10:04:36 AM »
Sad to read that a firefighter was injured this morning and I hope that she is doing OK. Interesting that the media can't help themselves from describing the firefighter as a female firefighter. Didn't see Camo described as a male firefighter. (Hope he's also doing OK).
Stay safe all.
>>A female firefighter was injured during the blaze and is receiving medical treatment after hurting her shoulder>>

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200501/s1275577.htm

Stay safe guys (both sexes  :) )
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 04:26:52 PM »
The reporter might be putting forward and supporting the point that there are Women in the Service...........

But your comment is correct, you would rarely hear them say " A male fire fighter...."  etc etc.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 03:01:51 PM »
The media doesn't give much credit to the CFS as it is... its not suprising that they ignore the presence of women there as well...  :roll:

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: "Female Firefighters" vs Firefighters in the Media
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
Should be interesting to see what they say when I get to the Coroner's Court...FEMALE firefighter as IC?? whatever next..  :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 07:55:19 AM »
Should be more female leaders,but then again while we still have males who dont want females on the fire ground this will not happen. As long as you know how to do your job and that you know what your crew can do anyone should and can be a officer.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 09:15:18 PM »
^^isnt that the way it already is blinky?  :roll:

if we can have 17y.o. male leutenients (i still cant get over that), then surely we can have female officers as well... im pretty sure there are plenty out there anyway, i can think of several just off the top of my head

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 09:17:00 PM »
in restrospect im not wuite sure why i just revived that thread... didnt notice the date it had for blinky's last post, but it  still had a 'new' thingo next to it...

PF_

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 10:05:29 PM »
mmmm a 17 y.o. lietenant is a bit odd. 

Whats wrong with bringing up a topic that hasnt been written in for a month?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 12:21:31 AM »
Our current captain was only couple months shy of his 20th birthday (i think) when voted in??
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 12:12:50 AM »
wow, that's really young... If he wants the responsibility though, I'm not complaining! :)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 12:51:44 AM »
Yeah it's pretty tough on him because he just got married and had a daughter but good support and he pulled through well in a tough time for our brigade.

As far as i'm concerned female FF's are the same as males yuo get your good ones and the ones that don't do so well, just like every other service, but without them this service would be up the proverbial creek.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Toast

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 12:55:41 AM »
To continue taking this off the rails, a 19 year old captain. Good grief. Nice to know their Yellow/red hat gives us white hats orders on the fire ground.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 08:42:59 AM »
bit of a worry, when you consider he would have had a maximum of three years operational experience... not too sure how id feel about that, but on the other hand, i dont know the bloke...

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 03:46:18 PM »
It was 19 or 20, but as people said if you know what your doing and have the respect of your brigade and group and you have good support from your officers, why not?? I've heard of an 18 yr old brigade captain...

I'm the oldest of the officers in our brigade at 26, the older people in our brigade with experience didn't want to be very involved with the brigade operationally so the younger people had to step up.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

probie_boy

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2006, 10:25:12 AM »
I know a guy who used to be a captain of a fairly busy brigade in his early 20's

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 12:58:04 PM »
mmmmm,well if no one else wants the job and they have all the levels why not????????

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 12:59:45 PM »
I'm the oldest of the officers in our brigade at 26, the older people in our brigade with experience didn't want to be very involved with the brigade operationally so the younger people had to step up.

it seems to usually be the other way around with younger members struggling to get the chance to take on more responsibility as older members hog everything.

Offline Camo

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Compton CFS Website
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 07:11:24 PM »
Personally i have nothing against a young captain/lieutenent.

If the person can show they are responsible and able to take control then why not?  Yes operational experiance is an advantage but a well trained firefighter is the next best thing.  Also if no more experianced people are willing to step forward then what choice do you have?

But even though a young person may not have operational experiance there is nothing to say that he/she can not consult an older more experianced person if there is one on the truck.

In our brigade when we go to any job, we just get off the truck and do what we have to do as we have been trained...if the captain decides he wants to take a certain approach then he tells us and we follow his orders.  He is more than happy for our input even though he has been a vollie for 30 odd years i think compared to my 8.

A Captain doesnt need operational experiance but more needs a level head and able to take the pressure and keep his/her truck safe!

Camo
Compton CFS Website
http://www.compton.sacfs.org

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 08:43:11 PM »
I'd very much love to be either the captain or a lieutenant of my brigade since im in my early 20's but its just the matter of getting everyone to vote for you as they might have other ideas
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 08:58:12 PM »
Robert,what has this got to do with female firefighters???

rescue5271

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2006, 10:20:20 AM »
In this day and age I think it is sad and some what pathetic that there are still members in the service and other that treat female firefighter as second class.I am also concerned that these females are scared to say anything and so they leave the service.they leave as they feel all males with in that brigade are the same but they are not,it is time we all and I mean ALL of us stood up and once and for all welcomed all new members no matter what,colour,sex,race they are. We should be happy that these people want to help serve the community and those so called members that are harassing or what ever else they are doing may be you need to take a long hard look at yourself.

How would you feel if the boot was on the other foot? or that your wife was treated the same if she was to join???

We are all human and we are all here to provide a service so why not be kind and respect those who want to join and provide a better service to the public.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2006, 10:33:01 AM »
A anti-harassment team of volunteers was created a few years ago to assist in resolving problems of this type. Extra training was provided to volunteer and paid members of the team which spanned the state. I thought the team covered CFS and SES.

Not sure how often this facility is used. Maybe if the problems still exist another round of publicity is required to ensure ALL members know the confidential facility is available to assist them.

I hope this is not a large problem within both services, but I have a suspicion that some people are still suffering in silent.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

strikeathird

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 09:43:06 AM »
Yep, sometimes also comes down to the briagde...

A person of 18 might have only been a firefighter for 2 years, however a cadet for 9, and be in a very rural briagde with say 8 members...

He may be one of the most senior members.. If that makes sense..

I know an 18 y/o Lt. who has had nearly 10 years in the service (much as a cadet, but in a rural rural brigade where things are a bit different) - and is 18 however has more CFS exp that someo f the other members.

All depends on the situation.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 12:30:54 PM »
The minimun age for a cadet is 11 years old, so if your 16yo fire firefighters have been a cadet for more than 5 years, your brigade is doing something wrong... ;) Young members hanging around the brigade with their parents however is a different matter...

I think it comes down to what experience is needed to be a Lt or Captain... In a rural brigade that only gets 10 calls a year, the captain thats been a member for 15 years still might only have the same experience as someone who's been in Dalkieth for 6 months. 
If an 18yo has the experience thats needed to be in a position of power, then no one should have a problem with that.

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2006, 09:42:10 AM »
As a Capt of 8 years and experienced in IMT..I find that as a female, we are able to see things from a different perspective (most times good) and aren't clouded by egos (sorry boys).

We are having our AGM in August and my peers are pressing me to nominate for a DGO position.

This just proves that gender is not an issue (but can be)....I have no female mentors but my peers and mentors are great blokes.

I think that sometimes the problem begins with the person...behave how you want to be treated BUT remember that this is a male dominated and non traditional field.

anything