Author Topic: Rural Addressing System  (Read 13732 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Rural Addressing System
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2008, 01:04:39 PM »
The system wont work (properly) unless each property is signposted.

Which also happens to be half the reason the current system doesn't work.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2008, 04:10:58 PM »
If you come in from the other end of the road, or do not identify with the town
or locality, or if the road doesn't have one end which relates to a township more than the other....

you are stuffed.

I wouldn't go quite as far as saying you're stuffed.  You'd certainly be in 'a spot of bother', but that would be no different to arriving in a suburban street and not knowing which way the numbers are going.  Once you see the first address, you know how far along the road you are, (from the start), and once you see the second address you'll know which way the road is going. (and hence be able to work out where you need to go, and how far away it is).
The difference between city and country though is distance - you may have to travel 5KMs before you find out you're going the wrong way...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2008, 06:17:23 PM »
The new system is being trialled in the Riverland...I think around the Loxton area.... sponsored by the local council....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »
I wouldn't go quite as far as saying you're stuffed.  You'd certainly be in 'a spot of bother', but that would be no different to arriving in a suburban street and not knowing which way the numbers are going.  Once you see the first address, you know how far along the road you are, (from the start), and once you see the second address you'll know which way the road is going. (and hence be able to work out where you need to go, and how far away it is).
The difference between city and country though is distance - you may have to travel 5KMs before you find out you're going the wrong way...

Yes Indeed,  And of course, whether you are going the right way out of town.
For example, 15 Kangarilla Rd, McLaren Flat exists on both the McLaren Vale & Kanga sides of the Flat.
Of course, the caller who knows they are travelling between Kanga & Willunga via McLaren Vale just knows it's the Kangarilla Rd, between McLaren Vale & Kanga & they are outside #15.  By my calculations, that probably exists at 4 locations - 1.5km East of McL Vale, 1.5km East and west of McL Flat, and 1.5km west of Kanga.

A giant step forward, that !!

This is most likely to occur on these main roads, because they carry the majority of out-of-towners. The little local roads are mostly only trafficked by locals who know exactly where they are & where they relate to. Out-of-towners are unlikely to even know the name of these back roads to report emergencies...

Rural property addressing is very different from city street addressing, except in a few odd instances of long main roads where the numbering stops & starts again. Give me a GR any day !

cheers
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 02:44:49 PM »
Wouldn't they start the numbering at one end of Kangarilla rd and continue it to the other end?  Seems a bit stupid to keep resetting in every town?

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
And that is where all the fun starts....

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 10:25:18 AM »
how about a shared private access road (driveway if you like) with more than one property accessed off that?  under the new scheme all those properties would have the same "address".  (this is a real example in my brigade area affecting 3 properties)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
how about a shared private access road (driveway if you like) with more than one property accessed off that?  under the new scheme all those properties would have the same "address".  (this is a real example in my brigade area affecting 3 properties)

I guess they are numbered like any housing block with multiple structures on it.  1/124 or A/124 or 1232A
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »

I guess they are numbered like any housing block with multiple structures on it.  1/124 or A/124 or 1232A

Just look for the smoke :-P
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 10:46:23 AM »

Just look for the smoke :-P

Ahhhh, I can see a possible change to the current 'SES Map Reading course' coming....we dont get the luxury of a big smoke signal.    :evil: :lol:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »
Wouldn't they start the numbering at one end of Kangarilla rd and continue it to the other end?  Seems a bit stupid to keep resetting in every town?

The number is the distance from the township or locality that the property relates to.
Otherwise, homes in McLaren Flat & on the outskirts of McLaren Vale would have an address of <a large number> Kangarilla Rd, Kangarilla.
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

anything