Author Topic: CABA BMI  (Read 23714 times)

Offline Firey9119

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CABA BMI
« on: August 23, 2008, 07:41:43 PM »
How may stations are lossing ba op due to the CFS limit of the BMI at 35??

what do people think of it??
Phillip H
Salisbury CFS (Para Group)
FireFighter
(Firey9119)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: CABA BMI
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:54:43 PM »
I think that without a long and drawn out fitness test, the BMI is probably the best way, at the moment, to do things.

For people who fall between say, 30-40 BMI perhaps need to take part in a VO2Max test? but then this would have the issue that people with a 'normal' BMI could well score very low on a VO2Max test.

Perhaps the answer is instructors having more balls to mark people NYC based on their fitness performance during the OBAOC course. The conditions replicated in the Hot Cell are certainly mild interms of both temperature and intensity when compared to real life operations. If people can't hack it in there, then they shouldn't be deemed competent to pass the course.

As much as people might whinge and moan about it 'not being fair' I don't give two hoots about being fair, as long as I can rely on the bloke next to me and I know that they are capable of performing the tasks assigned as well as any worst case scenario. Its much like people being accredited with RCR when they can't handle the tools physically by themselves. Its a terrible practice of "Oh it'll be fine".
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 07:55:45 PM »
35?  Just did some quick research into BMI, one calculator displays this information:

* Underweight = <18.5
    * Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    * Overweight = 25-29.9
    * Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater

another does slightly further:

< 18.5    Underweight
18.5 - 25    Normal
25 - 30    Overweight
Above 30    Obese
Above 35    Severely obese
Above 40    "Lets not go there"

I think Below 30's a good target for the Joe blogs
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 08:00:10 PM by Zippy »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »
35?  Just did some quick research into BMI, one calculator displays this information:

I willl NEVER EVER be able to make 'Normal Weight' unless I crash dieted and didn't eat for weeks on end. I'm the thinnest I've ever been and I'm happily sitting in the "Obese" category.

This is the only problem with going by just the numbers.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 08:03:34 PM »

hehe yeah i guess so numbers.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 08:10:19 PM »

hehe yeah i guess so numbers.

Only when we are talking about BMI, in any other circumstance then going by the numbers is the only way! ;)

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 08:19:54 PM »
Phil,its been a issue for sometime in country area's and I did hear from someone up the ladder that CFS may be looking into changing the BMI to 38 due to a number of issues. One that comes to mind was a member from the west coast who I was talking to he failed the BA medical due to the BMI,,Mind you he is a weight lifter and I have heard other story's along this line with members who do alot of work outs at the local GYM....

pumprescue

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 06:47:43 PM »
I know a person in my brigade who is perfectly healthy, has normal health, all his heart rates, blood pressure, cholesterol are perfect yet still has a BMI of 34, the new minimum is 30. I would rather go into any job with this guy and so do most of our members, yet he still can't pass. His Doctor said he would pass him but the BMI stipulation prevents him from signing it off. Now if the Doctor thinks your medically fit then shouldn't you be medically fit ?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Ah, isn't the BMI cut off still 35? According to the online medical last week it was.

In all honesty I think in cases of people having a higher than allowed BMI, the doctor needs to be able to make an assessment and if they believe the person is medically fit, then the BMI 'limit' is waived.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 08:21:55 PM »
Still was 35 a week ago, had a member do their course with a BMI of 31? Would like to know where 30 comes from.
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 08:35:29 PM »
Would like to know where 30 comes from.

Bend over and look in the mirror. I think THAT is where he pulled it from.

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »
well i might offend some here but oh well.

if you have a BMI of 35....might be time to hit the gym?

Granted some are "big boned" and are just genetically big but people today seem to think a beer gut isnt a bad thing?

Ive heard fair enough reasons why people have a high BMI yet they are fit and healthy e.g. body builders etc.

I do agree though...Doctors discretion should be allowed to be used if the need should arise.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
Im over bmi of 35 and am pretty keen to do BA. we dont have BA at all in our brigade but our "sister brigade" does and are strugling wit BA at moment. But I guess they have to make a cut off some where its like a speed limit i guess.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 08:42:15 PM »
well i might offend some here but oh well.

if you have a BMI of 35....might be time to hit the gym?

Stuff 'em if they are getting offended. There are plenty of people out there that are big, fat, unfit yet still whinge and moan when people bring up fitness. If people can't be bothered to take care of their fitness in the slightest degree then why should they hold accreditation in the use of a piece of equipment that when it is used, it is done so in a very physically demanding manner?

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »
Should be like the MFS, once you get in you can stack it on
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2008, 07:34:54 AM »
Some doctor's don't understand BMI or what CABA is.....I was lead to believe that we should not be using the on line medical form???

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
Some doctor's don't understand BMI or what CABA is.....I was lead to believe that we should not be using the on line medical form???

If they dont want it to be used then remove it!
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:44 PM »
Its ok summer is nearly here and we can work off all that excess while we hibernated for the winter..... :lol:
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2008, 02:10:54 PM »

Id be worried if doctors didnt understand BMI - There is an explaination for what CABA is and what type of work you do with it in the frist 3 pages of the medical. If the doc still isnt sure then you can explain it to them - sounds hard?

Offline JC

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2008, 03:53:25 PM »
The problem with BMIs is that they differ from people to people regarding results, for instance i have a BMI of 32 but i don't have a gut and a slimish upper body BUT i have big legs from running, footy etc. Your body weight could be distributed over different areas not just your guts. Personally i think occupational therapists should be doing the medicals.
Roxby Downs CFS
Lt 2
BHP ESO

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 03:59:04 PM »
The problem with BMIs is that they differ from people to people regarding results, for instance i have a BMI of 32 but i don't have a gut and a slimish upper body BUT i have big legs from running, footy etc. Your body weight could be distributed over different areas not just your guts. Personally i think occupational therapists should be doing the medicals.

I'm just big boned, honest!

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 09:08:59 PM »

and its cases like this where the doctors discretion should be able to be used.
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline PJ

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 03:18:16 PM »
Why can't people just accept the fact the BMI is set @ that level to protect people from themselves.

People with a BMI greater than the limit are simply TOO FAT and are a risk to themselves & All.

The argument that I am just over is no good you are still obese!!! A BMI of 30 is still OBESE get over & find another task you can do or loose the required amount & try again. No-one has said you can't get fitter so sSTOP WHINING!
The biggest mistake you can make is doing it wrong AGAIN!

Darren

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 04:02:01 PM »
I like it, no point whinging, get out there and loose the pounds, if not for the BA but for your own well being !

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 05:33:07 PM »
Why can't people just accept the fact the BMI is set @ that level to protect people from themselves.

People with a BMI greater than the limit are simply TOO FAT and are a risk to themselves & All.

The argument that I am just over is no good you are still obese!!! A BMI of 30 is still OBESE get over & find another task you can do or loose the required amount & try again. No-one has said you can't get fitter so sSTOP WHINING!

Fishin or Foolish?
Just Another Filtered Fireman