Author Topic: Trainers  (Read 11616 times)

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Trainers
« on: August 25, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »
Hey all.

I did a course outside of the cfs courses, which i funded myself.

The trainer was the most qualified person for the course... but he was crap. I have done a similar course with someone who did not have a qualifications list as long as his arm but had done real life rescue and the course was twice as good and I got much better training...

I have friends who have done courses with a south australian company interstate  whos also a sacfs supplier and they told me they can remember the instructors telling the group how qualified they were... however they had never conducted a real rescue... only training...

wat are your thoughts boys and girls... is experienced trainer better than a course bunny (someone who does lots of courses... but thats all)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
Re: Trainers
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:54 PM »
I'll take real life experiance anyday. Anyone can teach material from a book, but it takes personal experiance to be able to add a further dimension to the training material.

Especailly in the CFS where we get given so much 'by the book' teaching, and yet very few of the instructors are able to expand upon the topics as they have little, if any real life experiance. Simple things like conducting S&R or cutting pillars on cars where technique that is different to 'the book' canbe very helpful.

At the same time, trainers need to be careful of accidentally delving into advanced techniques with students on courses are meant to be about the basics.

It is interesting to note that with experiance the best way to do things sometimes appears to fly in the face of both the book and SOP's
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

pumprescue

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:28:05 PM »
Yes I have found that with some CFS courses, the instructors know all the lingo and can teach it but have very little knowledge of down the street in practice scenarios. What I like to call the creased turnout gear people.

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »
I would have to agree on that,I was at a course/workshop and this guy had more ticks and paperwork than any other trainer I had seen..I asked him a few question and he said that he had never been in the fire or rescue service and that all his training came from doing courses and from going to workshop's....I then asked him how the hell he could sit back and say you would/could/do it this way and the patient/victim would be released faster and better...He failed to mention that its team work and you need to work with the ambulance service,So I guess you can have all the paperwork in the world and have no life experiences and still get a job in training and do a crap job....Few other who where there from other service's also  disagreed with him the whole day...

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »
This is happening in everything. I was offered to be given a bit more training in a course I had only just done to then become a trainer. I couldn't believe that was the way they wanted to go. I had no experience, had only just undertaken the training myself and they were going to let me loose training other people. I can remember when chainsaw training first came in for vineyard workers and everyone trotted along to the TAFE trainer to learn all about chainsaws - the fella taking the course trotted out with a very tiny chainsaw (it took me a while to work out it was a real one and not a realistic kids toy for the toy shop) and proceeded to instruct, he had no idea and was being paid huge money to deliver this course.
I will take experience over paper work only anyday. And even better experience with some paperwork.
Any trainers care to comment??
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:08 PM »
Have you not heard of the saying "Those who cannot do, teach!"?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »
"Those who cannot do, teach!"?

And those that cannot teach, get into research...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

I thought it was those you can't teach, teach teachers?

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 07:11:33 PM »

I thought it was those you can't teach, teach teachers?
Those who can, Do, those who can't, teach, those who can't teach, teach teachers and those who can't teach teachers, write teachers books :mrgreen:
Party Brigade.  Filtered the Brass

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:05:32 PM »
Hmm just thought I'd see what was everyone elses opinion..

Did a course with another company where the trainers weren't fireys, coppers or ambos and was twice as good as the ones where u get the fireys just relying on there cfs or mfs titles...

and the company where they weren't fireys were internally trained and worked privately... personally liked alot more cause they weren't bound by any service ideas and called spade a spade...

really annoys me when we get some old firey who has never done something in their life... only done the course again and again but never done... ie rescue stuff from height above 20m...

I'm in an area where we would have to do a rescue well above that... and the trainers we got just said "well you wouldn't really do a rescue from that height... i mean you would have to call the ses or mfs rope teams in" but we don't have the ses or mfs always around do we!!!! :|

and even worse we had some company say they could bring some american guy over cause he's an expert...!!! then showed some dvd where he flips upside down to do a rescue, then use a mini pulley system... then the trainer stood there and said how it so fantastic (we all wanted to laugh, then realised this was OUR lives we're playing with)

also saw how some berated another filtered on here bout difference between american and australia fireys... and so true!!! if we have trainers bringing americans over to train then WTF! know people who went to their courses privately and they were scared to use the techniques cause it was all throw at them to learn...

Id like to see the trainers see some of the types of rescues we actually do... then write a program to match our needs... and the AQTF (australian quality training framework)

(its sad how we all have confidence in the equipment... but sometimes not the training)

Scared SA Firey

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 06:38:24 PM »

Did a course with another company where the trainers weren't fireys, coppers or ambos and was twice as good as the ones where u get the fireys just relying on there cfs or mfs titles...

and the company where they weren't fireys were internally trained and worked privately... personally liked alot more cause they weren't bound by any service ideas and called spade a spade...

really annoys me when we get some old firey who has never done something in their life... only done the course again and again but never done... ie rescue stuff from height above 20m...

I'm in an area where we would have to do a rescue well above that... and the trainers we got just said "well you wouldn't really do a rescue from that height... i mean you would have to call the ses or mfs rope teams in" but we don't have the ses or mfs always around do we!!!! :|

and even worse we had some company say they could bring some american guy over cause he's an expert...!!! then showed some dvd where he flips upside down to do a rescue, then use a mini pulley system... then the trainer stood there and said how it so fantastic (we all wanted to laugh, then realised this was OUR lives we're playing with)

also saw how some berated another filtered on here bout difference between american and australia fireys... and so true!!! if we have trainers bringing americans over to train then filtered! know people who went to their courses privately and they were scared to use the techniques cause it was all throw at them to learn...

Id like to see the trainers see some of the types of rescues we actually do... then write a program to match our needs... and the AQTF (australian quality training framework)

(its sad how we all have confidence in the equipment... but sometimes not the training)

Scared SA Firey

WTF how did I get dragged into this thread :evil:
Images are copyright

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 07:06:37 PM »
also saw how some berated another filtered on here bout difference between american and australia fireys... and so true!!! if we have trainers bringing americans over to train then filtered! know people who went to their courses privately and they were scared to use the techniques cause it was all throw at them to learn...

No use writing off people and their expertise merely because they're "Americans" the Yanks have a more diverse fire and rescue community than we do, and you wouldn't tar all Aussie Firies with the same brush would you?

Perhaps rather than have people write a program specific to your needs, you need to look at choosing the right course/company. If the trainers are going to be instructing you in a discipline, yet tell you "You don't need to know that, call the SES/MFS" then I would have tossed them then and there. Not to mention creating a difference between <20 and >20m I was pretty sure vertical rescue was vertical rescue. Same principles - different rope length.

I hope you don't go back to that company again...
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:28:52 PM by 6739264 »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 03:22:40 AM »

those who cannot do, teach.  Those who can neither do nor teach - become management in the public service!

pumprescue

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »

Scared SA Firey

Wha you say K...I no speaky Espanol

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 03:20:14 PM »

Training modules already exist within SES. I believe the same training has been given to some MFS, SAAS, etc as part of USAR. Years ago some aspects were given to RSPCA.

The sharing of training resources happens now to a certain extent. For example, I have completed AIIMS level 1 (CFS run) & Leadership (CFS & SES run).

I hope the services will increase the share of the TRK's, trainers & assesors. But that will depend on $$$$ & volunteer resources.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 03:22:45 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:32:55 AM »
This isn't SAPC again is it?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 07:59:43 AM »
Trainers, sure id like to have some PT time with a Personal Trainer every week!

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 08:29:34 AM »

..especially if she's under 25, blonde and leggy with a nice pair of chesticles!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »
*chuckles*

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 09:34:37 AM »
When it comes to courses/trainers being available it really depends on how many people can you get to fill the vacant spaces and how much in demand or popular the training is
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 11:05:33 AM »
But a good trainer can make any topic interesting.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »

..especially if she's under 25, blonde and leggy with a nice pair of chesticles!

Possible job for PIP :wink: :evil:

Offline Katrina

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2008, 08:09:39 AM »
 :-DOr a good looking trainer can keep you interested or at least awake for the whole course (I do remember paying particular attention for a whole module one time because the person taking it had the nicest butt out :wink:)
Katrina
Wattle Range
(Davi)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2008, 02:12:49 PM »

Did a course with another company where the trainers weren't fireys, coppers or ambos

[/qoute]

ok... you liked being trained by people, who dont actually get out there and do the job "in real life" [as such]

but;

you hate it when the trainer has no experience?

Offline Ringer

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2008, 10:59:40 PM »
:-DOr a good looking trainer can keep you interested or at least awake for the whole course (I do remember paying particular attention for a whole module one time because the person taking it had the nicest butt out :wink:)

I bet it was BFF1 and it actually was the assessor not the trainer you where perving on. Probably the same as at the Drags too

LMGDFAO