Author Topic: not to go on roof  (Read 11810 times)

Offline Cameron Yelland

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: not to go on roof
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2008, 04:43:47 PM »

..besides - anyone should have guessed by my use of correct grammar, spelling and big words that clearly I'm out of my depth on this forum!

Yet you cant stay away!  :lol:
Compton CFS Brigade
Captain
(Formally Comp00)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2008, 06:13:02 PM »
I'm 6'5, I nearly need a harness everytime I stand up!!

But seriously..

Its always going to be the subject of lengthy debates.. However, in a house fire, i'll be up on the roof popping tiles for my interior crew, and getting ventilation while a few of you get your harness and fall arrest gear ready..

And yes, I have fallen through a roof in a house fire. Sure, you weigh up the risks every job you go to. Its a tough gig, but it has to be done. OH&S gets a little crazy sometimes.. In a controlled environment, I can see the reasons for putting every pre-caution in place.. (E.G, non-emergency site works etc). But like BM stated with the getting into cars, you have to weigh up the risks.. - Yeah, the airbag *might* go off, or the car *might* shift, but if the person WILL die if you dont get in there, I know where I would be!.. (In the car, for those trying to work it out!)

Same goes with a roof.. You *might* fall through, or you *might* fall off.. But if your crew need that ventilation, or if some one is up there and they go down for what ever reason (or rescue), like I said, I know where I will be..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 06:19:20 PM by RescueHazmat »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
So really, in our environment, it is about weighing up the risks of doing something (eg get on the roof) vs not...and making a decision based on the info you have at the time.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
Exactly Pip.. Sometimes I think all the OH&S guru's and policy makers need to realise this!

uniden

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 01:44:13 PM »
quite often safer to open windows/doors at the back of the building to ventilate rather than run the risk of clambering around on the roof during a fire.. especially if you have a fan. Obviously different jobs have different needs..

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2008, 03:18:18 PM »
I've heard of the 300 mm rule - like to know where it is coming from as regulation Prevention of falls - Division 2.13 does not mention a specified height
(2) If—
(a) a person must work—
(i) in an elevated workplace from which he or she could fall; or
(ii) in the vicinity of an opening through which he or she could fall; or
(iii) in any other place from which he or she could fall,
and it is reasonably foreseeable that the person would be injured in such a fall
due to the distance of the fall; or
(b) a person must work in the vicinity of an enclosure or container into which he
or she could fall and there is a reasonable likelihood that the person would be
injured in such a fall,
reasonable protection against a fall must be provided—
(c) by the provision of a safe means of access to the workplace; and
(d) by the provision of secure fences, covers or other forms of safeguarding or, if
that is not reasonably practicable due to the nature of the work, by the
provision and maintenance of safe systems of work.
Now don't know about you but to me blanket banning working on a roof is just plain stupid - it is another knee jerk reaction by people who don't have practical experience in these matters.
If you want good information take a look at the "Prevent of Falls - Emergency Services" Guide book from WorkSafe Victoria. It has good practical information in it, Safework SA also produces a "Work at Height" book. Again this has some useful information.
It really filtered me off when people use OHS as a tool so tasks can't get done, I spend over half of my working day dealing with half truths & mis-understandings & it gives OHS a bad name.
Anyway thing thats all I have that is constructive.
cheers

Chook

Do you have web links to the work at height Guide Books???

Cheers

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »
I have been reading these posts concerning working at heights with some interest. So I though it about time to put forward my 2 cents worth. Firstly I have included the links to the Safework SA site and Workcover Vic where you can download the "working at height" booklets. Bare in mind that SA one is written mainly for the construction industry. The other booklet that Chook referred to is better, although it of course quotes the 1.8m Vic height regulation.

My day job has me playing the role of a Workplace Safety Officer, so I have the joy of dealing with working at height issues on a daily basis. The Regulations are what they are, their is no getting around them if you want to stay compliant. I would be the first to admit the stupidly of different rules for different states that just added to the confusion. But, here in SA there is no stated height before you require fall protection. Having said that, as emergency service workers we are able to work outside the guidelines if we are working in an emergency situation. (the 2nd booklet highlights this quite well) But, we should allways remember to look out for ourselves and fellow firefighters 1st no matter what task we are doing, this includes working at heights.

My brigade has recently purchased two roof kits (plus training) to enable us to work on roofs that much safer. Now obviously if the situation was that to enable a time critical rescue to take place we wouldn't be using precious minutes doning harnesses etc. But for jobs where there is a greater exposure to the risks, eg venting or laying out tarps where you are likely to be spending a longer amount of time at height then if the gear is available and you have been trained in it use, then the task can be carried out with greatly reduced risk.

Links to Safe Working at Height booklets
www.safework.sa.gov.au/show_page.jsp?id=2774
www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/wps/wcm/resources/file/ebcdbf435dcb573/prevention_falls_emergency.pdf

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2008, 04:38:11 PM »
My brigade has recently purchased two roof kits (plus training) to enable us to work on roofs that much safer. Now obviously if the situation was that to enable a time critical rescue to take place we wouldn't be using precious minutes doning harnesses etc. But for jobs where there is a greater exposure to the risks, eg venting or laying out tarps where you are likely to be spending a longer amount of time at height then if the gear is available and you have been trained in it use, then the task can be carried out with greatly reduced risk.

Storm damage, I can partially understand but at the same time setting up the rope systems really, really slows down your ability to work - not so much an issue for single houses, but when there are many houses it can really show. As far as venting/fire fighting operations go, wouldn't the more common sense approach of testing the roof and evacuating if it feels spongy work out to be safer and more efficient, rather than trying to setup ropes around a structure that is burning?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2008, 04:51:22 PM »
quite often safer to open windows/doors at the back of the building to ventilate rather than run the risk of clambering around on the roof during a fire.. especially if you have a fan. Obviously different jobs have different needs..
Yes but do the CFS have a training course in place for the effective use of fans? (Or the MFS for that matter?)
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
They...did, and see what comes up in 2009 regarding CFS structural training ;)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2008, 05:25:53 PM »
They...did, and see what comes up in 2009 regarding CFS structural training ;)

Hopefully...anything!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

anything